Fred T

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 23, 2001
I just got back from the neurosurgeons office. He agreed that the herniated disc should be removed and reported that I am lucky I have no further nerve or spinal cord damage. All seems to be good other than the loss of strength is concerning. He said that the strength in my right triceps may take 6 month to fully recover after surgery. I have surgery scheduled for this Thursday and I'll be home recovering by Friday. I can be up and about in a week. The bad news is this summer's dirt biking is off until next spring. Although I'll recover the healing of that area the muscles to strengthen surrounding it take longer and I will risk needing surgery to repair it again and more damage right away. I don’t know, it seems pretty conservative to me but if I only have to lose one season then that’s better than all of the ones in the future. I’m pretty bummed about it. I guess my new bike will be good to go for next year anyway!

I should be well enough to be at the Kalkaska events helping out for both events, camping out and enjoying being out side.

Thanks for all your well wishes and support. Beware SS class because I’m now more determined than ever to get in shape by next season.

I'll still be at ROS too.

Freddy

katoom125

Apr 25, 2004
good luck, hope it turns out better than forecast and recovery is quicker too but i agree with your approach. I wouldn't risk the future either for a short term "high".

I think as racers we tend to rush it sometimes and that sometimes also "costs us" in the long run. Besides you'll need the $$ for the doctors that you'll save now by not having to buy a new bike next year - doesn't that make you feel better? - NOT - (laugh)

anyway as I said --- Good luck & speedy recovery!

woodsy

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Jan 16, 2002
Sounds like a plan Fred!! Most certainly my prayers are with you and your family - stay focused and you will be fine!! Hope to see you this summer so we can compare scars,
By the way, who is doing your surgery and do you know exactly what they are doing??
Best of wishes for a SPEEDY and full recovery buddy!!
Woodsy

BadgerMan

Mi. Trail Riders
Jan 1, 2001
We'll be prayin' too buddy!

I'll be bringin' a batch of cookies to Kalkaska with your name on it.

Smit-Dog

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 28, 2001
Best of luck with this Fred. Sounds like you got it diagnosed pretty quick and are taking care of business. That much sooner you'll be recovered and out riding again. And I wouldn't doubt there are a few less nervous SS riders out there...

Just curious... did the neurosurgeon indicate how you got a herniated disc? Does this happen slowly over many years, or was it caused by a weird strain or twist of the neck?

Fred T

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 23, 2001
Smit-Dog said:
Best of luck with this Fred. Sounds like you got it diagnosed pretty quick and are taking care of business. That much sooner you'll be recovered and out riding again. And I wouldn't doubt there are a few less nervous SS riders out there...

Just curious... did the neurosurgeon indicate how you got a herniated disc? Does this happen slowly over many years, or was it caused by a weird strain or twist of the neck?

They don't know for sure how it happens. Crashes, auto accidents are common reasons - and it can happen from something that happened in the past. You can have it happen from a trip and fall that jars your neck.My best guess is that time I got cleaned off my bike a year and a half ago possibliy damaged the disc and it just let go this winter. But I don't know for sure just speculation, but because i never saw that branch it jerked me pretty hard - a freak accident. I may look into one of those collar things to better support my neck in the future.

I'm just having a hard time dealing with the fact that I can't ride for a year, that seems pretty conservative. Hell, woodsy had half his back reconstructed and he was not our for an entire year -I'm having one disc fixed. Spinal alignment is perfect, nerves and spinal transmissions are good plus all the other disc look good and I'm one tuff mutha so I hope that with PT and good behavior I can be ready in 6 months.

The next time you see me though I'll have me one of those plastic turtle neck collar on with a Team PTP sticker on it.

3KDXXR2

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Jan 3, 2002
The next time you see me though I'll have me one of those plastic turtle neck collar on with a Team PTP sticker on it. :rotfl: Thats pretty funny Fred. Lets see 6months = Trailfest :cool:
Hope to see you riding then. Best wishes on your surgery I will be praying for you.

Last edited:

Magoo

~SPONSOR~
Aug 12, 1999
Fred, do what the doctor says! I was munched up pretty bad in an auto accident about ten years ago, and I can tell you healing takes a lot of energy! If you heal better/quicker than expected, great, but err on the side of caution! A season off the bike is no fun, but we all want to ride with you well into the future so don't take an unnecessary risk!
Anyways, I sincerely wish you the best, and I'll be thinking/praying for your successful surgery and speedy recovery. Keep us posted buddy!
AND, I'd be privileged to have you on my check crew at the Loose Moose, if you're interested. :)

MWEISSEN

Whaasssup?
Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 6, 1999
Fred T said:
I donÍt know, it seems pretty conservative to me but if I only have to lose one season then thatÍs better than all of the ones in the future. IÍm pretty bummed about it. I guess my new bike will be good to go for next year anyway!

Beware SS class because IÍm now more determined than ever to get in shape by next season.

I'll still be at ROS too.

Freddy
Fred, you've got the right attitude going into this!!! Yeah, the docs tend to be conservative, but then it's better to be than not so that you're healed to go again. Before my transplant surgery, I really had no idea whether I would be able to enjoy the things I enjoy - not just dirt biking, but also fly fishing, walking in the woods, enjoying being outside. Darned if I can't do them all, and actually I'm now certain, Lord willing, I'll be doing them BETTER than I have the past couple of years, I feel that much better.

You wll too. Take the doc's advice and take it easy. If you need some DVD's books or whatever to while away some of the downtime, you know where to go. There's a lot of other guys here, ie KTMike and Smitdog, that put together killer packages! I still have an unopened jar of Klotz R-50 exhaust fumes on my desk!

Oh yeah, the bike downtime ought to give you time to put every gadget known to man for a KTM 250 too. I know CRIstie, and her new owner-to-be, will benefit from my gadgeting.

One other thing - the surgeons said I'd be down, not able to work at all, for 6 months, then not really doing much for 9. I was totally blown away by that, especially since the first time I heard it was 18 hours before my surgery!

Well, I think the surgeons really padded their little hineys. I was back at work February 7 with their blessing, full time in 5 days (I didn't tell them that part), and already have two 20+ mi rides in, although fairly easy-going rides (you know how I ride), rides non-the-less, four months post surgery. Be a good boy and I'll bet you'll be going sooner than you think. :cool: Don't tell your wife this yet, but I was able to just about kill my 2+ year old honey-due list while recuperating at home!

Take care, our prayers will be with you and your family.

70 marlin

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 15, 2000
Fred best wishes. Just because you can't be on your bike for one season. Maybe with your "Dr's blessing" you could run support. Gas, pick-up's at the end of the trail, officiating etc.

Don Marsh

~SPONSOR~
Jun 5, 2001
Sorry to hear that Fred, but you are a determined person so your 2nd "comeback" will be great.
Hang in there and breath alot of 2 stroke fumes when you can I hear it's therapeutic!
The SS class will have to wait one more year.
See you at Kalkaska.
Don

SPARKEY

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
May 7, 2001
Fred
Two guys I work with have had neck surgery for similar problems,
They both were off work for five to six weeks for recovery.
They both had good results.

Hope your surgery and recovery goes well.

Hope to see you at ROS with your family.

Sparkey

KTM Mike

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Apr 9, 2001
Fred- our thoughts and prayers are with ya!

Dont push your luck, you are a tuff mutha though...

You want some enduro video to watch? I can mail you a care package like Mark got! Send me your snail mail addy and i will get some to you.

And just remember - even in a neck brace, one arm tied behind your back, the other one holding a PBR, you are still faster than I am!

INCA

~SPONSOR~
Sep 1, 2003
Fred - It could be said I'm in a different boat and therefore look at things in other ways. For starters, I was only 3 years younger than you when I started dirt riding and am now in my 30th season. During this time I was down twice with broken ribs. I fully understand the no riding time involved but you also have to look ahead. There is no reason why the years ahead can't be many. Put your mind to it and it can be accomplished.
Thank you for the two fine winter rides. As a reminder, what you wrote after the 2nd ride, is the first page of the notebook where I keep track of what goes on with INCA. It is read often.

The best to you , kid,

Young Ted

Fred T

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 23, 2001
Y.t.

INCA said:
Thank you for the two fine winter rides. As a reminder, what you wrote after the 2nd ride, is the first page of the notebook where I keep track of what goes on with INCA. It is read often.

The best to you , kid,

Young Ted

Ted, knowing you is an inspiration to me and to many others I know. Hell you represent that at age 50 I still got 26 more years of riding to do at least!!!!! (And I plan to too!) Being off the bike for such a long time just means that I fear some of my old pre 2001 habits coming back when I was far less active.The other thing that is frustrating is that as you all know we finally got rid of the snow around here and the season was just beginning, I'll have to go through that snow melting agony again with out winter riding and start back up early next spring. I intend to exercise as much as I can, ride my bicycles as much as I can and do the physical therapy even if tears of pain are coming out of my eyes. I plan to eat well and do what ever it takes to come back stronger. Kinda like Kevin Windham came back after being off for a long time. maybe I can beat the early prediction and be back on the bike in 9 months or something -I can at least try!

I'll miss getting a chance to ride with my Team PTP buddies and Riding with Badgerman in Kalkaska. I plan to work checks at all the Michigan enduros to see you guys on the course and remind you that even if you are tired and frustrated, I'd much rather be on that bike than writing your time on your score card so just do your best! I'll be at Rites of Spring cooking and I'll be out there to support my friends as "Ace Gas Man Jr." I plan to take my kids up north so they can ride this summer but I just cant show them the way.

I just have to get through tomorrow in good shape and then the process begins. :cool:

Freddy

Smit-Dog

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 28, 2001
Doug Henry broke his back in 1995 on this horrific crash:

http://www.jamesbubbastewart.com/photopost/showphoto.php/photo/188/sort/1/cat/504/page/1

Doug then went on to ride and compete in 1996, and in 1998 won his first AMA 250 national title (the first on a 4-stroke no less).

Fast forward to 2005. Doug decides to "dabble" in a one-off GNCC event for fun..... and wins the damn thing!

You will be back.... better, stronger than before (insert Six Million Dollar Man theme song here).

Good luck on your surgery tomorrow. And double-check the work order with the surgeon beforehand so you don't wake up with breast implants or something...

3KDXXR2

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Jan 3, 2002
Smit-Dog said:
).

And double-check the work order with the surgeon beforehand so you don't wake up with breast implants or something...
:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

MWEISSEN

Whaasssup?
Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 6, 1999
Fred T said:
I just have to get through tomorrow in good shape and then the process begins. :cool:

Freddy

Fred, I see you're online hitting the DRN site one more time before your surgery in a few hours! Things WILL GO WELL for you! Good luck!

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom