Another one goes to the dark side...

jeffd

Naïve Texan
N. Texas SP
Jun 9, 2000
Originally posted by SirThumper
Other complaints I hear....The roost hurts...Damn 4-strokes...did you see how fast that thing went by me....couldn't hear my own bike...had to keep looking over my shoulder to see if another one was coming... :aj: :) :)

SirThumper you hit the nail on the head, my friend.

KTMboy - does that sound familiar???? :p

When the ground shakes and your hands start to tremble it can only mean one of two things...
It is the end of the world -or- you are about to get passed by a 426!

-jeffd

MikeT

~SPONSOR~
Jan 17, 2001
Originally posted by SirThumper
The main two complaints I hear from 2-strokers are that they are heavy and hard to start.
I actually had no problem starting the YZ400. I really didn't see the starting problem. I think the thing that would make them much more appealing to everyone, is if they were quieter, without affecting the power that would be the ticket. From what I've seen, Honda has made an easy to start thumper, and it seems that Yamaha has copied the idea for the 2003 models. I know whenever I do sell mine, I will enjoy one of them.

a454elk

Mexicutioner
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 5, 2001
You got it ktmboy, it's the next step towards those 4 wheel thingies!! The only difference is they can't really hold the beer AND shift!!:) The one thing I hate about those 4 bangers is the damn roost! Where do they dig up all that dirt from?! Fortunately, it only last a few seconds as the next thing they feel is a helmet slap from the 2 stroker!:moon:

TwinSpar

AssClown WannaBe
N. Texas SP
Aug 18, 1999
Hate to burst your bubble Elk... But you don't even ride a real 2-stroke. That Zuki is the "Fred Sanford Pickup" of motocross bikes. :moon:

MikeT

~SPONSOR~
Jan 17, 2001
Originally posted by TwinSpar
"Fred Sanford Pickup" of motocross bikes.
:scream:

a454elk

Mexicutioner
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 5, 2001
You better watch it Twinkie! Now I know whay that jersey of yours looked so tattered, it's from gettin spanked by 2 strokes!:moon::):) You're just giving in to the greenies my friend, can't you just throw in some pre-mix just for the cause so it'll smoke ;)

jeffd

Naïve Texan
N. Texas SP
Jun 9, 2000
Originally posted by TwinSpar
Hate to burst your bubble Elk... But you don't even ride a real 2-stroke. That Zuki is the "Fred Sanford Pickup" of motocross bikes. :moon:

BwaaaaaHaaaaHaaaaaHaaaaa! I just had to wipe my screen off 'cuz I just sprayed coffee all over it. Good one Twinnie.

I can here Elk now as he gets passed by a thumper:

"Look out Elizabeth! Here I come.... It's the big one!"

-jeffd

a454elk

Mexicutioner
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 5, 2001
Originally posted by jeffd

I can here Elk now as he gets passed by a thumper:

-jeffd

When that happens, you'll be the first to know!:):):)

TwinSpar

AssClown WannaBe
N. Texas SP
Aug 18, 1999
Originally posted by a454elk
You're just giving in to the greenies my friend, can't you just throw in some pre-mix just for the cause so it'll smoke ;)

That's what the weedeater is for. :)

Hmmmm.... I don't recall getting passed by any 2-smokes this weekend and that is not a tattered jersey. It's I highly vented Walmart Wifebeater jersey. $10, some scissors... and viola, you have a stylish yet economical jersey. :)

a454elk

Mexicutioner
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 5, 2001
That jersey screams something, I just don't know what! And of course you didn't get passed by any two smokes, we usually don't ride when the water truck and YOUR tractor prep the track for us!:moon: :):)

Danman

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 7, 2000
What's with all the baggin on yellow bikes. You blue fellas must have some sort of complex. Heck, they even had to make a kit for you guys to convert to yellow. :)

a454elk

Mexicutioner
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 5, 2001
I'm sorry to hear that!:(

a454elk

Mexicutioner
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 5, 2001
:moon: :moon: I can only hope not, if I lose anymore I might as well leave it in the elk!:)

CanadianRidr

Sponsoring Member
Oct 22, 2001
Sorry elky when the CRF's get lighter ill be selling the CR250....oh wait.........OUCH.........ahh that's better I just got a cold smack of reality from a fellow co-worker. I said whenever I talk about 4smokes just smack me nevermind the CR250 is staying I don't need a motor twice as big to do half the work :p :aj:

Moteaux

Professional Mud Tester
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 30, 2001
Congrats on the new scoots.... don't listen to the 2-strokers out there too much. Most of 'em been breathing too much pre-mix fumes. I actually don't have a real preference over either. My last 2 bikes have been four strokes and I really like them in the woods here in Louisiana. If I were still out in West Texas where I grew up, I would probably still be on a 250 2-stroke.

Heck my KTM 250 4-stroke got railed by a guy on here claiming it was a dog, but you have to compare apples to apple and oranges to oranges. There is no way that I need as much power as my KTM 300 EXC or KX 250 had while riding here in the woods. I even had a 250F before purchasing this little bike and would take this one over the Yamaha for a few personal reasons. The little thumper can go just as fast in the trees with a lot less rider input and fatigue where I live.

Anyway, enjoy your new purchases and THUMP ON! :aj:

IrishEKU

A General PITA.
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Apr 21, 2002
CanadianRidr,
Belive it or not, but I talked to the guy at the Yamaha shop today and saw the specs on the '03 450F and it's 12lbs lighter :scream: then the '02 426F!
I wan't one! Bye bye 2 stroke! As soon as I gradjimitate from college I'll have one! One more year to go! :(

Last edited:

a454elk

Mexicutioner
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 5, 2001
Ahhh I'm just razing you four banger guys, ANY bike you ride on the dirt is fine by me. I've pondered the thought of getting an additional bike, 4 stroke, for the fire roads up in the mountains. I'd never dump the two stroke though, I love the power off the pipe, you can't beat it!

motometal

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 3, 2001
well, you know what they say, different strokes for different folks!

gotta comment on a few things, tho
Y'all are fooling yourselves if you really think a modern two stroke REQUIRES top end service every month (unless you ride all day every day!) I like once a year for 250s and twice a year for 125s. I would agree that the four stroke won't require engine service as often, but the added parts and labor involved on the four stroke pretty much even this right out.

Four strokes are getting lighter all the time, but honda's 250CR lost about 7 pounds last year too! Lighter weight definitely adds to the appeal of the bike...just make sure the weight loss is real! Bike companies are notorious for fudging the numbers. The first year Yamaha came out with the 400, I remember reading in the magazines about how light it felt and how it was "as light as a 2-stroke 250". As we all know, this was far from the truth.

As far as the starting issue, from what I have seen, a properly tuned 4 stroke which HASN'T been tipped over, with a skilled operator will start just as easilly as an average two stroke. You can read into that what you want, as I have heard and seen much frustration at the locall riding areas, but then again most of these were probably people just not relating to the bike.

congratulations on your new bikes Jeff, you should have known all the hecklers (including me) would jump all over this one! ;)

ktmboy

~SPONSOR~
Apr 1, 2001
Okay, since the razzing is over I will admit that there's one thumper I've ridden that I really liked---the 520MXC. Very easy to start. In fact, you can start it with one finger! :confused:

Birken Vogt

Apr 5, 2002
Today, I got word that the cylinder for my CR500 is finished....we will now see which bike I like better, when I get the beast put back together. I can hardly wait, woo woo

super rat

Ass Clown at DRN
Mar 31, 2001
Let me know when you start draging the bars on that 426. :p HP is way over rated on a MX track. I'll take corner speed over straight line speed any day. Good luck with that 426 and pin it, when you can :)

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom