Pokie

Administrator
May 7, 1999
Galena, IL
Our friend Milton and webmaster of www.mxargentina.com.ar reports the crash of his friend Jeremias Fernandez at a race yesterday in Argentina. His engine seized on takeoff of a long double with the predictable short-landing and crash.......so bad that his helmet cracked in three places, he was unconscious for 4- hours and is right now in ICU. Besides a few broken bones, Doctors are greatly concerned about cranial bleeding..... Milton and Jeremias' friends and family are asking for everyone's prayers for a full recovery.

Jeremias had returned to Argentina after competing in the first two rounds of the AMA Outdoor series (placing a respectable 28 and 30), having run out of money to travel on to High Point.  "Jere" had planned to come to DW'03 with Milton.... these plans are on hold of course.

Your positive thoughts and prayers are greatly appreciated...

dirty~d~

Resident nudist
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Apr 17, 2002
Pokie, please pass my thoughts and good wishes on to Milton and his friend's family. :(

oldguy

Always Broken
Dec 26, 1999
Pokie that is really sad to hear.
We also had a member at Aztalan die this past week from injuries he sustained practicing. I don't have alot of info right now other then he was trying to clear the Plateau Jump (largest on the track) and came up short then rebounded into the crash. He sustained major head trauma and was flighted from the track. After a week on lifesupport it was disconnected. I hope to get more info at our meeting Thursday night.

Pokie

Administrator
May 7, 1999
Galena, IL
most recent report indicates that Jere is lucid and improving...but still in ICU.

Milton reminded me that Jere was poised to fly back to the US this week to participate in rounds 4 and 5 aboard a YZF450 borrowed from Keith Johnson; on hold for now...

OldGuy.... Man I dont like to hear words like 'die' in this sport.... head trauma can be deadly. How old a guy?... (no not you!)...our best to his family !

Pokie

Administrator
May 7, 1999
Galena, IL
here's a pic of Jere at the Glen Helen opener a few weeks ago..

Attachments

• jere2.jpg
    jere2.jpg
    49.8 KB · Views: 257

Gary B.

~SPONSOR~
Apr 17, 2000
:(

d.u.g.

May 23, 2003
That is really horrible news,and God bless him and his family,
It is also a perfect example of why todays motocross tracks are completely beyond stupid.
Doubles,triples,the artificially 'extreme' whoops are just that,stupid.
These obstacles are ruining an already dangerous sport,and hurting the sport in general.Why are dirt bike sales one fifth of what they were compared to their peak?Because parents of kids notice the every hour ambulance runs at local tracks,the paralyzing and fatal injuries,riders being landed on at practice tracks by "extreme"geeks.
Spare me the "I know what the risks are when I strap on my boots "macho posing.
Off -road motorcycling is dangerous,and we all know it.But there's calculated risk,then there's stupid. Supercross obstacles are stupid.Why don't we just have flaming oil pits,sheer concrete walls to hit if we come up short,etc? Doug

Chili

Lifetime Sponsor - Photog Moderator
Apr 9, 2002
Jeremias will be in my thoughts. Dave that is terrible news on the rider at Azatlan.

d.u.g. I was trying to come up with a decent rebuttal for your points but sadly I found alot of it I couldn't disagree :think: The best I can say is SX obstacles are generally being designed to challenge the best in the world and that the talent level matches the course difficulty.

Gary B.

~SPONSOR~
Apr 17, 2000
I have to agree with Doug. I personally quit going to several tracks in the area because I ride motorcycles for fun, not to prove how brave (or crazy) I am. One only has to look at the past several SX seasons with all the injuries to see that the people with way above average talent are at risk as much as us part-time Jeremy McGrath wanna-be's. My prayers go out to all involved in these latest incidents.

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
Good thoughts going out.

nephron

Dr. Feel Good
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 15, 2001
The 60 minutes II thing is tomorrow. Just a reminder. It's gonna get ugly.

Anyone have the statistics on deadly wrecks with MX--in terms of what kind of obstacles death is most commonly associated? My bet is that doubles, triples, etc. make up not only a small percentage of MX mortality (not talking about morbidity here), but that there's also a low incidence of death amongst those that do them (like those fat whips I pull over 120 foot triples on my 5-Honey all the time :silly: )

I'd bet most deaths are from high speed collisions with objects or other motorcycles, freak accidents (like getting run over), etc. But I just don't know.

Moto Squid

~SPONSOR~
Jul 22, 2002
Originally posted by oldguy
We also had a member at Aztalan die this past week from injuries he sustained practicing. I don't have alot of info right now other then he was trying to clear the Plateau Jump (largest on the track) and came up short then rebounded into the crash. He sustained major head trauma and was flighted from the track. After a week on lifesupport it was disconnected. I hope to get more info at our meeting Thursday night.

:( dang...that's a gnarly jump, even for the experienced. So many riders get that pee-in-your-pants rebound after coming up short, myself included. When you find out who the rider and his number was could you tell us. My thoughts go out to his family.

ktmboy

~SPONSOR~
Apr 1, 2001
My 16 yr. old nephew said it well yesterday---"I can do a 70' table-top, but 25' doubles scare me."

Best wishes and prayers to your friend Pokie!

Pokie

Administrator
May 7, 1999
Galena, IL
thanks everyone.... Milton will be passing the messages on to Jere...

Pokie

Administrator
May 7, 1999
Galena, IL
looks like all the good thoughts and prayers are having positive results...
Milton reports vast improvements but Jere is not yet out of the woods;
thanks to all

MikeT

~SPONSOR~
Jan 17, 2001
Keep us updated. We want him to get better. Isn't this sport (and DRN) great! We can send our prayers off to a fallen rider who we don't even know, in a different part of the world. Motorcyclists are great like that. We help each other in any way we can. Although we can't see Jere, and probably never will, we would all run to his side on the track no matter what the circumstances.

We will all keep him in our prayers.

Milton

Sponsoring Member
Sep 2, 2002
GOD is with Jeremías and he is getting well, he has some "screw" in his leg but he can do it again next year, I agree with lot of you about doubles and triples, the european doesnt allow that kind of obstacles, but I think there's no problem with doubles and triples if they are in SX where are all the PROS, The biggest problem is when we find these things in a Motocross or just a local amateur track. in a SX everybody has the skill for that, in a Motocross not all the guys in the starting line are ready to do that, in an amateur track...you know. Lots of riders (me include) feels like if we dont jump everything we arent racing...and lots of crash came in this way...Jeremías has the skill to do this Jump over and over again, but this double can afford a mistake, even when Jeremías didnt a mistake, the mechanical trouble, almost cost his life.
JEREMÍAS really appreciate it your concern and he cant wait to get back to the states and try the Nationals again.
GOD BLESS ALL OF YOU

Milton "sorry about my english" Caputti

Top Bottom