Milton

Sponsoring Member
Sep 2, 2002
He is riding for Centro Living Team right here in Argentina, sometimes he went to Chile and ride for different Teams, Comercial San Ignacio-Team Copiapo was the team paying his expenses to the Glen Helen and Sacramento rides.

markthomps

Sponsoring Member
May 27, 2000
OldGuy: Who was killed at Azzie? That's definitely a freak accident as the plateau jump has been there for 30 years and it's always been a safe spot in my opinion.

Zoomer

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 17, 2000
To Set the record straight.
He was not trying to clear the plateau, he was jumping on to the plateau.
Only going about 1/2 way across. When he came off the face of the jump the bike went sideways, landed sideways and catapulted him into the ground.
Very tragic. there where 3 people not far away watching him as it happened. I was told he was Country club member who did not race.

I was told by other club members that where there, that there where no ruts to speak of up the face of the jump. Its usually to hard to get rutted. If you know Aztalan, thats not hard to believe.

markthomps

Sponsoring Member
May 27, 2000
Zoomer (is this Mike Zimmerman?): sounds like he probably grabbed a big handful of throttle just as he was about to leave the jump, which of course threw the bike sideways. That jump face is rarely rutted anyhow, even on muddy days, as you also well know. Definitely a freakish accident as the plateau doesn't result in many injuries, even though it can look scary to newcomers. Heck, I've never even crashed there (let me find some substantial chunks of wood around here to knock on . . .) and I'm a real pro at finding new places to test handlebar durability.

Zoomer

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 17, 2000
Yea its me Mark.
Else where left you a message, about an AHRMA regional in IL this summer (August) at Sunset Ridge MX. Going? I know the guy putting it on, its going to be a lot of fun. 2-days. PM sat cook out. :yeehaw:

markthomps

Sponsoring Member
May 27, 2000
Hey Mike, we missed you at Casey last weekend. Track was stone perfect and oh-so-fast. Your kind of racing.

Is that vintage race at that track over by the Quad Cities or Dubuque? I have some vague memory of this on the schedule, but at the moment not planning on going. I could be talked into changing my mind. I can get to Byron in 6 hours flat, so I think this would only be a couple more hours. Right?

Also, I was at Byron two weeks ago when Pete LeGrand got nailed in the first turn. He also nailed Harry Gooch in the process (it was like watching a missile hit the pack, with bikes exploding skyward). Hope Pete likes his new collarbone-to-be.

And what's this he told me about running some AHRMA classes at the Senior Nats? If true, I'll be there with the 490 along.

Zoomer

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 17, 2000
No long distance stuff for me this summer, building a house!

Actually, Sunset ridge is closer then byron (about an hour south just off 39)
Mendota exit hwy 92, go west about 25 miles to Walnut IL. This is a new track, about 4 years old, and can be made very vintage friendly.

Pete was pretty peeved about that guy! sounds like the guy came blowing in there pretty hot. Hows Harry?

AHRMA classes? I know he was talking about having older bikes run a class or two, asked me to get my old KX's out there. I think it could be fun.

See ya at Sunset Ridge ;)
Webber is going to put something together for me to run! :yeehaw:

markthomps

Sponsoring Member
May 27, 2000
Zoomer: Will have to see if Sunset Ridge will fit into my overloaded schedule, but it sounds good. And coming up I-39 is exactly how I got to Byron a couple weeks ago, avoiding all the joys of Chi-town traffic.

As for Pete's crash, he and Harry were just victims. I was watching and it was like seeing a missle hit the pack. Just an explosion of bikes going down (and up). Somebody apparently decided not to brake for the first turn, even though he was about in last place at the time, and just nailed the whole pack. I think I counted almost 10 people down.

Harry got the stitches out a day ago and is still suckin' oxygen otherwise, and still racing of course. In fact he rode the second moto after the Byron accident with his arm wrapped 5 layers deep in gauze.

Pokie

Administrator
May 7, 1999
Galena, IL
UPDATE: Jeremias is recovering well, doing physical therapy daily, shaking off the massive concussion slowly but surely. He has a broken Tibia which will take a couple of months more to heal. You can read his short interview with Milton here:
http://www.mxargentina.com.ar/mx/principal.htm

We hope to see him (and 3 or 4 of his fellow Argentineans) at DW'03... if all goes well.

Top Bottom