tn_tuxedo

Oct 9, 2004
My computer is making me so mad I'm about ready to pull the plug and just use it as a bike stand. I've had it with McAfee! Their anti-virus package BLOWS! :bang: My computer has slowed down like mad. My DSL connection is now slower than my old d/u connection. :uh: I cannot open docs because of lexplore. I know this needs to be removed. I ran Viruscan and "no injfected files found". I then ran another program and it found 47 items not recognized by Viruscan. I know these 2 programs come from 2 seperate vendors but COME ON! 47 items! :|
SOOOOOO... What anti-virus/spyware/malware programs are the best, do you use?

ellandoh

dismount art student
~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Aug 29, 2004
im not so good with that stuff , my internet provider gives me one free , i think its yahoo online protection , also windows ultra cleaner , one click cleans unnecessary files and registry . found a free program called mpower 1.2 that frees up RAM that was robbed by programs that never free it up when you close them .

my comp runs good , but i would wait for some more help.

also defrag your drive!! if you havent already tried that

Chili

Lifetime Sponsor - Photog Moderator
Apr 9, 2002
For anti-virus I always use Norton's , started with them and never had reason to switch. For spyware I use Spybot search and Destroy as well as Ad-Aware. Did this issue just pop up in the last couple of days? The reason I ask is a buddy of mine has developed the same problems out of the blue after trying to update Mcaffee yesterday. Sounds like it may be a bug in the latest update. Another antivirus program I've heard good things about but have never used it personally is AVG which has a free version available online.

tn_tuxedo

Oct 9, 2004
This problem started Wednesday night. I checked my inbound events log and had all kinds of unsolicited attempts to access ports and they all were coming from Yahoo servers. Never had any inbound events before that.

Vic

***** freak.
LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 5, 2000
I've been using Avast for several years with good results.

sick 96 250

Damn Yankees
Jul 16, 2004
FruDaddy said:
Go to http://www.grisoft.com/doc/289/lng/us/tpl/tpl01 and download AVG. I have been using it for years. It is every bit as good as Norton and Mcaffee, perhaps better. I also use Spybot and Ad-Aware. If you use any file sharing software, it could be the problem.
yup AVG is great, i had norton which came with my new comp and i got rid of it asap, i use AVG and microsoft anti spy which you can download from microsoft.com.

robwbright

Apr 8, 2005
sick 96 250 said:
yup AVG is great, i had norton which came with my new comp and i got rid of it asap, i use AVG and microsoft anti spy which you can download from microsoft.com.

I agree AVG is VERY GOOD - especially since it's free.

Top Bottom