Kawidude

D'oh!
LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 23, 2000
My computer at worked got hi-jacked by a mysterious culprit yesterday afternoon. I am getting countless pop-up windows and programs trying to download to my hard drive on a constant basis and it's driving me nuts. :bang:

My system is running Windows 98 and I use Internet Explorer. I immediately ran Spybot as well as Ad-Aware and Norton Anti-Virus Professional 2004. I updated each program before I ran them, and they all claim to catch and fix problems, but the pop-up problem persists. I downloaded something called Pop Up Stopper, but that just keeps me from seeing the pop ups. It hasn't removed the problem from my computer.

Ad-Aware keeps showing me certain dll files which are high risk, but claims it is unable to delete unless I reboot. When I reboot, Ad-Aware runs again and claims there are no problems. When the system continues booting, after Ad-Aware has run, the pop ups come back. I have tried going to my hard drive to manually delete the dll files, but it won't allow me to delete them.

Does anyone have a recommendation or suggestion to save my sanity? Please type slowly since I am not much of a computer guru.

Thanks in advance!

Okiewan

Admin
Dec 31, 1969
Texas
If you find a solution, I'd like to know! I worked on removing a pop-up trojan (I think) for a week. Hvae used 4-5 different programs, no luck. I had to stop using IE all together. The problem does not exist with FireFox.

Keetoman

Mar 16, 2003
A friend of mine has the same problem with XP and I'll be danged if I can figure it out! I tried X-Cleaner and his NJorton Anti-Virus and even went to Symantec's website and let them scan. All programs found that it was adware related and auto deleted all but about 4 files which it explained how to do manually. I did that but they came back anyway! I am about to wipe the hard drive clean if someone doesn't post a solution by this weekend.

Kawidude

D'oh!
LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 23, 2000
Doesn't sound encouraging. I've basically got a bunch of band-aids covering the problem right now, but it's still a pain. I'll keep asking around and see if I come up with any other options. Thanks guys.

DRZ_Dad

Apr 21, 2004
Each spyware software seems to do good at looking for certain spyware , which means you have to use multiple makers to catch them all, scan spyware seems to be pretty good at snooping spyware out. the only other choice is to lock your system down to the point it's not very internet friendly.

Or do as Okie said and get Firefox, fire fox is basically mozilla but without any e-mail manager, and is a far superior browser than I.E.
You could use I.E. for sites you trust and use fire fox for everything else, but once you use firefox you will not want to go back to I.E.

plykins

~SPONSOR~
Apr 6, 2002
I had the same problem with XP. Went all those routes and also used Pest Patrol. The same thing happened after rebooting. Finally did a system restore to a date before all my problems, and now all is well. Computer is running faster than ever too. I was a little hesitant of using the system restore, but you can allways redo what you have done.

Vic

***** freak.
LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 5, 2000
You might try disabling your anti virus program(s) before scanning with Ad-Aware.

cr2504life

May 17, 2004
I think there is a program called trojan remover. It is supposed to remove all trojan horse viruses, I was having the same problems and i ran ad-ware and all those and no luck but this program seemed to get rid of them. Good luck

bsmith

Wise master of the mistic
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 28, 2001
I downloaded a trial of Norton Antivirus professional and it picked up some stuff that Ad-aware and Spybot didn't.
I also found that Panda Active Alert found some things on my workPC that Ad-aware and Spybot didn't, but I nuked IE-6 and Panda Express runs fom their site and wouldn't load with Mozilla FireFox.

Also, I found that www answersthatwork.com's "Tasklist" is a good way to see what is running on your Task manager that you don't know about.
I spent a good time yesterday cleaning out tasks and deleting the executable files.
I think I went a bit far though, after a couple restarts I had nuked my CD burning software ;)
My biggest problem is a shutdown of Lsass unexpectidly which shuts the whole PC down. All the notes I can find lead to the Sasser worm, yet It is not found on my system, by Norton or a Microsoft tool.

It's been 3 years since I had an update Virus software :ohmy: on my home PC! I think I'm gonna go buy a cheap hardware based Firewall for the Virus, and just keep after the Pop-ups with new software.

Good Luck

trsrdr

~SPONSOR~
Jul 12, 2001
You have to run antivirus software if you are online today. Norton seems to be the best, but it's also the most annoying if you ever want to get rid of it. The yearly renewal is around $20 which should be considered cheap insurance. If you are having trouble scanning, boot to safe mode where only the minimal drivers load. Also, check under control panel in add/remove programs. Look there for any programs that look "suspicious" or those you don't want and remove them there. I've cleaned a few computers lately that had software installed by the owners which ended up being malicious. VERY IMPORTANT: keep the antivirus software updated at least weekly AND keep the windows updated! This is very important! Also, just keeping the antivirus up to date doesn't ensure that you won't have a virus sneak in, so scan weekly. Norton will set up a schedule if you let it.
Good luck.

Mrobbins

~SPONSOR~
Sep 28, 2002
Had the same/similar problem this week. Had to run two remover programs. A Hi-Jack remover and a Cool Web Search shredder. Then my Ad-Aware, Spybot Search and Destroy and Spywearblaster would work again. These things are hard to fix and not all the same so be carefull and know what you are doing.

nephron

Dr. Feel Good
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 15, 2001
Must be an onslaught. From what I've read, these types of programs (described above, about:blank, etc.) have 2 dll's in Windows registry. One is hidden, or 'invisible'. When you have No-Adware, or Ad-Aware, etc. search and destroy, the hidden dll is left. It's function is to restore or regenerate the missing (cleaned) dll whenever you reopen your browser.

There is a 'manual' fix, which is moderately involved and rather than trying to explain it, do a search for, eg, the about:blank fix.

However, the only ones I found were for XP. I don't know whether they're applicable to 98 or not.

bsmith

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 28, 2001
I found another cool tool "Security Task Manager"!

It's not a free software, but they do have a trial period to decide if you want to buy it. It shows the Name, File location, type, Description, and Manufacturer of each task running in your Task Manager. It also has a rating system to show how dangerous each Task is. It shows the .exe's and .dll's that Nephron mentions.

nephron

Dr. Feel Good
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 15, 2001
bsmith--Can it snuff the hidden dll's, or just 'detect' them (which seems to be one noticeable fraud type process with these programs, IMO)?

Also, how's it different from ctrl-alt-del on a desktop?

Jaybird

Apprentice Goon
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 16, 2001
Charlestown, IN
ctl-alt-del on win 98 only lists the tasks running. No other info such as type, location, mfg, or a description. No rating either.
My assumption is that these type programs simply use the ctl-alt-del and run the results against thier database to generate the report.
I don't think malicious hidden dll's are found....I may be wrong though.

This virus thing is getting out of hand. Of course I'm certain the US Supreme Court will back up the writers of computer infections....wouldn't want to violate anyone's constitutional right to free speach and expression. (shakin' head with mucho discust of the current SCOTUS)

bsmith

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 28, 2001
Nephron, Jays pretty close!

It has a "Quarantine" function that I used on a couple .dll's, so far they have not come back. Only one .dll came back
If you want to delete them it also gives you the location of the file. If you just use CTL, ALT, Delete Task Manager you have to search for the location of the exe or dll. Also you don't know what the Task is for or about, thus you would have to look up what each Task is on Answersthatwork.com.

This program just saves a lot of steps :cool:

I feel pretty lucky though, for 3 years this PC has been online and I haven't had any really bad viruses, but I think my luck is about out so I'll probably pick up a Small hardware based Firewall and a copy of Norton. I have spent to much time over the last week using these bandaids!

Top Bottom