Succubus

Mar 6, 2005
I bought my kids a used four-wheeler today and since the guy knows I like to restore vintage motorcycles, as a throw-in on the deal he me an old Suzuki dirt bike. Trouble is, I have no idea what model it is, so buying parts for any type of repair would be challenging. According to the model plate on the fork, the frame was built by Suzuki in August 1974, but the model number has been worn off by 31 years of cables rubbing against it. The muffler has "250" on it. I can't find a model number on the engine, but it is still very dirty and I don't know where to look. Above the kickstarter, however, "850cc" is molded into the crankcase. The motor has a single, very large cylinder. It has two sparkplugs. The guy who gave it to me said the second plug is used if the first one fouls out. I don't know. Can anyone tell me how to tell what I have here. I haven't been able to find a reference on the web that will identify the bike. I suspect the motor didn't come in the frame, but the motor mounts all seem to fit. Help anyone?

Peer Lovell

Nov 25, 1999
The label above the kickstarter refers to the oil capacity for the bottom end.
I had a Suzuki tC185 that had two plug holes. Never got a real explanation as to what the "second" hole was for.

Bodge

~SPONSOR~
Oct 4, 2003
The second is a back up, no need to even stop if you foul a plug. Just make sure the engine isnt turning over n grap that plug wire lol.

Succubus

Mar 6, 2005
As for color, the tank and rear feder are kinda red, but I have no idea if this is the original color. There are no decals or markings of any kind I can find.

Succubus

Mar 6, 2005
Would there be a serial number on the engine somewhere so I could make sure the engine is original to the frame, or at least original to the model? I have restored vintage two and four cylinder street bikes and I think it would be cool to add a vintage one-cylinder dirt bike to my stable. How much difference would there be among the different Suzuki 250 models from 1974? According to the a dirt bike guide I found online, there were three different models, the TS-250L Savage, the TM-250L Champion and the 250L Exacta. Can anyone tell me how I can tell which one I have?

dirt bike dave

Sponsoring Member
May 3, 2000
The Exacta is a trials bike - very small seat, low, etc.. They had silver tank, etc... Probably not that one.

The TM250 was the MX bike. No lights. It would have been yellow.

The TS250 was a dual sport bike and would have come with a lighting system, turn signals, an ignition switch, etc.. and I think a reddish orange tank. It was pretty common to strip all the street stuff off these bikes.

Sounds like a TS250. You should be able to find pics using Google of Suzuki TM and TS250s.

Succubus

Mar 6, 2005
Thanks, guys. Since it has the remnants of a headlight and taillight, I'm betting on the TS250. Now, to find the right service manual......

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom