harryhuia

Nov 7, 2003
Anyone with old XR's

Hey, :)

I have an 1982 xr250 and was just wondering if anyone else has any old ass xr's.
I picked mine up for $400 (NZD) and it was smoking hard core so I spent $300 (NZD) on a rebore (side of barrel was pitted), new piston & rings. I checked the valves but they were alright (i think). Later i also bought a new tire.
:eek:
After all that I gave my mate a drag. Him on his 2001 xr200 & me on my 1982 xr250. And i creamed him! not bad for an 82.
:yeehaw:

So if you have any old xr's, tell me about them.

You can see a picture of mine here: My 1982 XR250

Last edited:

OnAnySunday

Big Pig
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 20, 2000
lost in the deserts of NM
Old @$$ guy here -w- an old @$$ bike........LOL
Not an XR, but close. Have owned my '82 XL500R for almost 10 years now, and she still runs great!
She's sorta semi-retired now, thanks to a '02 XR650R.
But i still like to take 'er for a spin around town (or mebbe a nearby town) once in a while.
(she's still street legal) :yeehaw:

It's really sorta of interesting owning 2 big bore thumpers that are 20 years apart.
You get to apreciate the strengths and learn to work with the weaknesses of both.
After getting off the '02 and jumping right on the '82 it feels like you've just gotten on a lowrider Harley! :laugh:
Oh, and even though its 150cc's bigger the '02 is a much, MUCH easier bike to start! really. :worship:

harryhuia

Nov 7, 2003
To: TheJunkMan....

I guess its power is probably from the rebore but also I think its sucking more air than normal.

cheers,

Ben

Highbeam

~SPONSOR~
Jun 13, 2001
I sold my 84 XR500R about a year ago to buy the 01 xr400r. The biggest difference you can see is the rear disc brake. Really, the technology hasn't changed much on this bike in almost 20 years. They both weigh about 300 lbs, both are very dependable, and both a hoot to ride. I embarassed quite a few guys on new bikes with my 600US$ old XR. Sold it for 1350$ after about a year of riding poker runs and enduros.

harryhuia

Nov 7, 2003
It's funny how some things don't change much. Its usually just the looks that improve.

When I sell my xr250 I worked out I will probably double my money..!

Ben

Top Bottom