trout

~SPONSOR~
Apr 23, 2003
Does anyone here tow a travel trailer with their truck while having the bikes in the bed of the truck? I am trying to determine what type of trailer I could be comfortable with and be able to tow it while having the bikes loaded in the bad. I have an 03 ram1500 quadcab with HEMI engine. We haul three bikes in the bed..(cr250, xr100, and yz85), and we are looking for a decent smaller travel trailer for the weekends. Any of you guys regularly tow with a similiar set up?

Any comments/advice?

Thanks!
eric

D Lafleur

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 11, 2001
Eric,
If you stay at 25' or below, you can even have a slide. You want at a minimum a leveler hitch and antisway device. The best setup is a pull right type hitch. They are quite a bit more expensive but worth every penny. Once you get to the 27'+ trailers the tail wags the dog. I have done it, but it is a lot more comfortable with the smaller trailer.

Darin

trout

~SPONSOR~
Apr 23, 2003
Thanks!

I am also looking at some pop-up types. I had no idea they were as up to date as they are....AC, showers, potty, ovens, etc. they have it all. I will check them out too as they are much lighter and easier to tow.

XR3J

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 7, 2001
I pull a 31ft. trailer with 3 bikes in the back with an F-350 (tonner), and it handles it alright. I'm used to pulling that much though because I drive a semi at my job. (40 foot trailer and 80,000 lbs.) There are so many different types of trailers now that the only problem you might have is deciding which one you want!
Jerry

mx547

Ortho doc's wet dream
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 24, 2000
trout said:
Thanks!

I am also looking at some pop-up types.

we used to pull one to the dunes all the time. you don't even know it's back there. and it sure beat the heck out of a tent.

ps2112

Jan 27, 2003
I have a '99 ram quad cab 4x4 with a 360. I pull a 22' trailer and have one bike in the truck with gear, Myself, wife and 3 kids fit nicely in the trailer. Makes for a good weekend.

SPD

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 20, 2001
I have a 99 dodge 2500 with a V10 and pull a 24ft camper. Have had 2 full size bikes and have had no problem.

kmccune

2-Strokes forever
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 3, 1999
We put two bike in the back (three would be no problem) and pull a 21 foot Rockwood Roo . This is one of the type of campers that has a main shell that is like a regular camper in that it is fixed but it has on ether end a bed that folds out like a pop up bed does. This gives loads of internal space with out going long and heavy. We have pulled this with a 5L non triton F 150 untill a few weeks ago when Amy wanted a new ride. We now have a 5.6L Triton and we'll have to wait till next spring to try the whole thing out as they are wispering SNOW for Sunday here :bang: If your interested the website is

http://www.forestriverinc.com/nd/default22.asp?nav=rec

Click on expandables, they make several diff brands.

Attachments

• 21.jpg
    21.jpg
    21.5 KB · Views: 87

D Lafleur

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 11, 2001
D Lafleur said:
Eric,
If you stay at 25' or below, you can even have a slide. You want at a minimum a leveler hitch and antisway device. The best setup is a pull right type hitch. They are quite a bit more expensive but worth every penny. Once you get to the 27'+ trailers the tail wags the dog. I have done it, but it is a lot more comfortable with the smaller trailer.

Darin

Sorry, no coffee that morning. I left out the important part. Most 1/2 ton trucks with towing equipment will have no problem with the 25' on down travel trailers. My post implied that you never wanted to get to 27', that would put me not following my own advice seeing as I tow a 40 toyhauler. You dont want to tow this with anything less than a 1 ton with all the big options. :)

Attachments

• 64437608_1[1].jpg
    64437608_1[1].jpg
    37.3 KB · Views: 65

jcramin

~SPONSOR~
Aug 14, 2002
I have a 2004 RAM HEMI QC 3.92 gears and 20" wheels and I pull a 7X16 foot inclosed trailer with as many as 5 bikes and all our camping gear and riding gear and me, my wife and 3 kids. It runs GREAT around town and GREAT on the interstate when running 80 - 85 MPH. BUT I cant keep a constent speed of 70-75 unless its flat ground the truck slows to about 60 on any incline. I am assume this is due to the low RPM range running under 80 mph trying to tow.

J

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
D Lafleur said:
...seeing as I tow a 40 toyhauler. You dont want to tow this with anything less than a 1 ton with all the big options. :)
Well that's not "sample sized " :laugh:

KC10Chief

Oct 10, 2004
Best advice, check out www.rv.net and ask questions on the forums there. On a 1/2 ton truck with dirtbikes in the back, I wouldn't go over 24 to 25 feet max! Also, your wheelbase makes a big difference. If you have a short wheelbase and you're towing a long trailer, you'll be all over the place. Check out some of the expandable trailers made by forest river. You get a lot of trailer for the money. They can sleep a lot of people and they're light weight. www.forestriverinc.com. There's a LOT to know about towing travel trailers. Matt

s.d.duner

Oct 28, 2003
the hemi has the power to pull a fair amount of TOTAL weight, but the thing to watch for is TONGUE weight.

for example I have a 25' toybox and fully loaded it weighs only 7500-8000 lbs.
The tongue weight is where it hurts though: 1200-1300 lbs depending on how i load it.
this would push a 1/2 ton's rear end into the ground

My trailer has very large holding and water tanks that affect my weight. Look where the tanks are before you buy. with a small truck you will need them prettymuch centered over the axles

just remember it's still a 1/2 ton, don't push it

..oh yeah...don't even try to tow w/o weight distribution and at least a friction type sway bar ( there are better types but friction works)

Top Bottom