Ideal bike configuration for ram1500 and 3 bikes

trout

~SPONSOR~
Apr 23, 2003
Is it possible to put 3 bikes in the back without having to use a bed extender? What configurations have worked best for you guys?

Its a ram1500 quadcab, bed is ~6'2" with gate up, over 8' with gate down.

Bikes are 1 cr250, 1 xr100, 1 yz85 and riding gear for three folks.

I have not had the bedliner sprayed in yet, so I have not yet played around with it. I was just curious to what works for most guys and if anyone like the bed extender device.

Thanks

Treejumper

2 wheeled idiot
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 9, 2000
I havent had more than 2 YZF's in my bed yet. Had to leave the tail gate down. I dont think you will have any problems with putting 3 in there. I'll let you know on the 21st. I've never used the bed extender as it wouldnt get much use.

trout

~SPONSOR~
Apr 23, 2003
I'll see how it goes, I may be able to angle the cr250 enough to close the gate as it is considering that the other 2 bikes are very small. If not, I'll just get the extender. I may just get the extender anyways since the other two bikes belong to my wife and daughter...and the extra footage will help hold all of their luggage. You know...women.

Philip

Dirtweek Junkie
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 15, 2002
Trout I have a 1500 club cab and I put 3 bikes in it. I put my 250 behind me(driver side) the 85 behind Josh(passenger side) and I put the 70 in backwards ( with the front wheel facing the tailgate). That seems to be the only way i can cram all 3 in. If you find a better way please share. :thumb:

NVR FNSH

~SPONSOR~
Oct 31, 2000
I drove a Dodge 2500 CC short bed (against my will) for ~1.5 years and I bought a bed extender because with two full size bikes the tail gate wouldn't go up. I kept the bed extender and use it on my Dodge 2500 QC long bed when I haul 3 full size bikes (2 facing front, middle bike backwards) because it gives me enough room for gear bags/tool boxes/gas cans/coolers/etc. I'd seriously consider the one that unfolds into a loading ramp.

Brian

trout

~SPONSOR~
Apr 23, 2003
Thanks. I am able to fit them in pretty good with the 85 in the middle facing backwards. I use a tiedown and strap the middle bikes bars to outside bikes bars. It looks like a tangled mess but seems pretty secure. I had them up to 85-90 with no troubles.

Camstyn

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 3, 1999
I wish I had a pic, but I crammed 4 bikes into my '99 Chevy 1/2ton shortbox once. Two KX250's (normal position), one RM250 (backwards in the middle) and a XR100 sideways on the tailgate. Not that I would want to do that again! :scream:

CaptainObvious

Formally known as RV6Junkie
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 8, 2000
Short bed or long bed? That is the question. I'll be buying a new truck this winter and I'm only considering an 8' bed. Should I re-think this?

Camstyn

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 3, 1999
Long bed is the only way to go. The short bed is ok if you're going to a local track with two bikes/people.. Anything more than that and you'll need a trailer or you'll be deciding what stuff you can get away with not bringing.

DK

Feb 26, 2000
94 Nissan cab and a half - DRZ400 (outside), XR250 (outside), XR200 (middle offset with milk crate), three riders and gear. Comfortable???? Well... A Dodge 1500 would have been a luxury.

trout

~SPONSOR~
Apr 23, 2003
Originally posted by RV6junkie
Short bed or long bed? That is the question. I'll be buying a new truck this winter and I'm only considering an 8' bed. Should I re-think this?

It all depends on the truck. We looked at f150 quadcabs and the bed was only 5 feet something. The dodge ram quadcab had a 6 foot 4 inch bed and over 8 feet with the gate down. We put the gate down and have the aluminum bed extender and put in three bikes and riding gear for 3 and a cooler, ramp, and the extra crap. The inside of the ram quadcab is huge too. I can fit them in with the tailgate up but it is really really crammed in also keep in mind the 2 of the three bikes are pretty small (xr100, yx85) but with the bed extender its not bad at all. I think what I like most about the truck is the hemi though :aj: !

The long bed would be good, but with the extra length of the quad cab plus an 8foot bed, it would be sooooo long.

Top Bottom