weimedog

~SPONSOR~
Damn Yankees
Nov 21, 2000
I had left mine alone for a few years...(my 2002 450EN) Nothing really wrong with it..just I rather ride my old vintage KTM. So I decided to evaluate and figure out why it sat vs. was ridden...and after a afternoon of self evaluation (in a dump truck of course w/ 400HP diesel cramming my hears w/ sound waves) I realized it was too...heavy & the motor wasn't snappy enough to really be fun....and i was afraid to break something that couldn't be replaced all this added up to a fresh bike that wasn't doing a thing but taking up space and collecting dust.

So to fix the situatation either swap or heart transplant was required along with a change in attitude....so taking advantage of one of those old VOR's greatest assets (You can swap anything around from any year..a mix and match heaven for clutch heads) I was able to work a trade with a friend who wanted a lighting coil and E-start motor. Swapped out the 450 E-start for a 503 MX motor from a 2000 VOR. (The only things I needed to change to match chassis....the cam gear drive cover & water pump AND intake manafold. THOSE two things are chassis specific) The swap was complete...and the motorcycle is truely transformed.

That MX 503 combination is around 35 pounds lighter....and its power is..better. I took the "edge" off by leaving the Enduro silencer on.

Now to suspension setup...35 pounds makes a difference and not carrying the battery, lights, and wireing harness does as well. For what ever reason the bike is now higher in the rear so I had to recalibrate the suspension a bit.

Result? The bike is an ass kicker. Handles so much better with the less weight..and it wasn't bad before! They were SO under rated in their time as the Magazines never did any setup on the test bikes and VOR didn't have the resources to help themselves...much underrated motorcycle. Parts...are tough to find BUT are out there. So mine has found a new begining. About time.

(And now they are dirt cheap so I'm going to snap up every one I find for the "right" price)

weimedog

~SPONSOR~
Damn Yankees
Nov 21, 2000
Hybrid..pics

Attachments

• Motorcycles 031.jpg
    Motorcycles 031.jpg
    92.8 KB · Views: 842
  • Motorcycles 032.jpg
    Motorcycles 032.jpg
    82.7 KB · Views: 827

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
Seven years later it still looks pretty trick. :cool:

weimedog

~SPONSOR~
Damn Yankees
Nov 21, 2000
Thankyou. They were a really nice design and I think a bit ahead of their time. You would probably get a kick outa one as they are a bit of techno geek heaven! (Just teasing)(And now they are dirt cheap & you mix and match parts to get an amazing array of motor characteristics)

Those Paioli forks were a bit harsh but are so close to the Yamaha forks of the era I think when a set of Yamaha fork show up on ebay......or maybe just send my spare set of Paioli's to a good suspension guy.

(Rich..I hate to admit it, but after a couple of hours riding...the thing I learned most is this bike is wasted on my fat butt....but I'll never get rid of it as its so much fun, and easy to ride; but its wasted on me.)

dirt bike dave

Sponsoring Member
May 3, 2000
FWIW, You might ask Factory Connection about revalving the Paolis.

I had a set of 46mm Conventional (RSU) Paoilis on my old '99 CRE valved by Factory Connection, and they were incredibly plush and worked great for trail/enduro/cross country.

VORRIDER

Jul 11, 2008
I now have two 1999 503's one I bought brand new and one I just picked up for parts. The bike was complete for $700.00 in good shape (score) I love the vors to bad they went out of business , nice to hear someone else that likes to ride something different and not just another cookie cutter bike.

Attachments

• VOR503.JPG
    VOR503.JPG
    60 KB · Views: 771
Last edited:

VORRIDER

Jul 11, 2008
3 Vor,s in the trailer

Well I just picked up another VOR, It is a 2000 503 and in really good shape , that makes my third I have two 99 503's
and a 2000 now so I am good for parts until I cant ride anymore. And with all my other spare parts I might have the biggest parts selection in the states. So keep those vor's pumping , hope to see you on a vor on the trails

Vorrider

ToddHawaii

Apr 3, 2000
Hey Vorrider - looking at a 2002 VOR 530 ISDE - titanium spring...no mileage...electric start. Around $4,000? I'm only 5'9" and the reviews are saying wide and heavy...and tall. Would love to hear what you think?

Todd

VORRIDER

Jul 11, 2008
Vor

Sorry it took so long to get back to you, Vor's are great bikes I have 3 and a ton of spare parts , but if you dont know where to get parts I would stay away from them, parts are rare. They are tall and I dont think to heavy, the motors are incredible they just keep pulling.

Top Bottom