splatt

Resident mental case
~SPONSOR~
Dec 1, 2001
I`m looking to hook-up with someone for the Wet Duck this weekend. If anyone is interested let me know as I`m looking to meet more DRNers.

dual-sporter

Jun 2, 1999
i'm considering going. from the looks of it, there may not be much parking... good thing i have a street plate, huh? i need to go see an old friend that lives on bangor sub base too... so why not have a good time too & go riding on the way over! i'll call him tonight...

Highbeam

~SPONSOR~
Jun 13, 2001
On a typical weekend there are people parking on elf pass road. What makes them think that on an event day there will be enough parking? I'll be going early that morning and trying to park, maybe the big sand pit will have some area available. My group will have to ride to the staging area for a warm up. There are several campgrounds and smaller staging areas around the park but some are a little ride away.

dirty~d~

Resident nudist
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Apr 17, 2002
Probably a stupid question but where is it going to be? I might be able to make it out to watch. I'm still bikeless, but I'd be willing to watch if it meant meeting one or two of you.

dual-sporter

Jun 2, 1999
middle waddel is one of the staging areas of tahuya state forest, outside of belfair, wa... not too far from you. i'm not good with these directions(only been there 3 times)... but here's a try:
here's a map link from the NMA website.
directions:
I-5 Exit 132. Go West on SR16. 26 miles turn Left on SR3 (South). 8 miles turn Right on SR300 (North Shore Road). 3.5 miles turn Right on Belfair TAhuya Rd. Turn Right on Elfendahl Pass Road. 2.5 miles turn Right to Elfendahl Staging Area.

i'm not sure how much there is to watch... the riders go down the trails... to eventually return.... maybe you can ask where a check point is and hang out at one

Last edited:

dirty~d~

Resident nudist
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Apr 17, 2002
Just getting out of my neck of the woods is good enough for me. Whether I can actually see the action or not really doesn't matter. I can still hear em. :) Thanks for the info. Me and my Tacoma will be there on Sunday.

dual-sporter

Jun 2, 1999
ooops! i musta been sleeping! that's in capital forest :) but the directions are correct!
anyways, i'll be driving a little red/burgundy toyota 2wd(early 90's body), the bike is a '94 honda XR250L, mainly white & some blue, with a big see-through tank on it, red x on the number plates. i'm in blue/black fox gear.
Andre

Last edited:

Hawaii-Rider

Feb 24, 2001
Parking is always a problem

and only gets worse as the poker run series gets more popular.
The maing staging area will most likely be packed by late this afternoon. Last time I was there, the dual event run (poker and enduro) I had guys waiting for me to leave from the upper parking area at the staging.
I will be there, probably not to run ....but just to hit the trails and ride (dont think they are shutting the rest of the trails down?..anyone know?)
Driving a F-150 supercrew, white with a canopy..Alaska plates...running my E-440 Cannondale and my son his WR250f.
Hope to see some of you there....if you see me...give a shout!..

HR
:cool:

splatt

Resident mental case
~SPONSOR~
Dec 1, 2001
Well it looks like I`ll be heading out in the morning instead. Sleeping in the cab of my truck was sounding less appealing the more I thought about it. i`ll be driving a blue Chevy 2WD pickup with a white YZ250. Hope to meet some of you there.

Steve

dirty~d~

Resident nudist
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Apr 17, 2002
Sorry I missed out on the races today. How was it? I'll bet with the weather being perfect the ride was to die for. Did any of you hit the other areas or were they closed off?

dual-sporter

Jun 2, 1999
that was a sweet ride, but that place was crowded! weather couldn't have been better, and dust was non-existent! i parked at mission creek & rode the short course, there was some nice singletrack and i bet some of the quad riders were moaning... it wasn't easy. they said the DRN cut those in and needed them expanded to double track... so why not use the poker run to do that. i only pulled a pair of queens so i bolted before the awards...

steve, do you have a big redline oils sticker on the radiator shroud? i think i was in line right beside you in the start... i didn't see you around after.

Diane, if you want to see some stuff this next weekend, friday night there's mx at SIR(now pacific raceways) and saturday they run quads & vintage bikes
gates open at 4:00 both days, $8 gate fee to get in. i'll be there on saturday riding 2-stroke C quad, yellow suzuki #751. it isn't far from home and you can see the whole track from the stands. practice is wed nights, and i think it's free to watch.

Last edited:

Highbeam

~SPONSOR~
Jun 13, 2001
Great ride. I left Buckley at 6 and found a semi-legal parking spot on the road out of the staging area. If you got there early, parking was not a big deal.

Dual-sporter, I saw a blue toyota pickup parked right across from me near the staging area with your bike on a flatbed trailer behind it. The red X caught my eye while I waited for my group to get back to the truck. I had that blue full size chev teetering on the shoulder pulling a wooden utility trailer.

I managed to strike a tree near the next to last checkpoint and broke a hydraulic fitting for the front brake reservoir. The last thirteen miles all I had was a muddy rear drum brake to slow down 350 lbs of bike and 160 of me. Thank goodness for bark busters or that brake fitting might have been my fingers.

The awards were slow. It took about three hours since the guy called out every hand known to man and waited for somebody to speak up. That was the only crumby part of the whole event. Lots of trophys and prizes were given out. Plenty of club helpers made the event run smoothly.

The trail was a nice windy tight one with plenty tight singletrack and roots. I didn't think tahuyah could be this challenging. Only one guy in our group got lost because he missed a marker. I thought the markers were very good and the new trail was fun to help create. What better way to build new trail then to force a thousand riders to plow through it. 40 miles used up quite a bit of fuel.

We'll see you there next year.

splatt

Resident mental case
~SPONSOR~
Dec 1, 2001
That was me allright I do have Redline oil stickers on my shrouds. I did stick around until all the prizes were handed out. Sorry I didn`t notice you as I tend to get tunnel vision and only seem to pay attention to what I`m doing.
As for the ride itself I had a blast even though i couldn`t seem to keep my self upright in the newly cut singletrack. In one of the last sections on the short course I saw three quads having a hard time just getting through.
I did manage to get a pair of queens and a pair of sixes which was enough for a trophy.

dirty~d~

Resident nudist
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Apr 17, 2002
D-S

I plan on getting out to SIR a few times this year. I won't race the holeshot, but I'll watch. This weekend (Saturday) I'm heading down to Bend, OR to visit a friend, but I'll try to hit the track this Friday if I'm not too tired after work. :aj:

dual-sporter

Jun 2, 1999
highbeam- sorry, that wasn't me across the road, i was in a dk. red Toy, no trailer.. i parked at mission creek & rode the street in to avoid the crowd a little... and the bike needed it to clean out the carb anyways. parked for a short time on the side of the road into the main area after the ride... drove over after i loaded up at mission creek trailhead.
tahuya rat- that was me... sorry, i didn't know your name & didn't know what to say... sorry to hear you were feeling bad.

the memorial day weekend fun run sounds interesting... i've never ridden there but want to check it out... i may just cancel going to the dunes that weekend to do that run

Andre

Top Bottom