Anybody thinking about heading out riding this weekend?

70 marlin

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 15, 2000
With this heat wave happening :yeehaw: JR and my self are thinking about going riding Sunday? Maybe cedar creek or maybe Gladwin. Looking for the least amount of snow and the deepest sand, as we haven’t studded up the bikes yet. Anybody up for a little action :aj:

woodsy

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Jan 16, 2002
I am up for it but I gotta switch my tires AGAIN (just got my screws in)!!! What time will you guys be at Cedar Creek sunday and WHERE IS GLADWIN? Sounds like fun meeting some new faces and in the middle of December in MI!
Woodsy

70 marlin

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 15, 2000
Too bad I missed you Saturday online. Missed you by a couple hours. Gladwin is on the East Side of the state about 30 miles from Standish +- a few. I think its on M61; it's the same exit off 27 that you take for Leota. You just need to go east about 50 miles or so. Kinda swampy and home of the quads. So it was my last choice. We ended up @ cedar creek. 40 deg or so had a blast every thing was still frozen, But just a few Ice patches. No snow on the ground. You would have had fun with those screws! There were about 10 bikes there. We made it there about 11am left about 3pm. Rode the north & south loops. I could get real used to this frozen ground, What a blast not to have to fight the sand for once.

Last edited:

Fred T

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 23, 2001
We had a group of 10 riders from Lansing Cycle ride the CCC connector at HIggins Lake Sunday. Got about 50 miles on. There was a couple inches of snow - it was perfect! Those Michelin Winter Spikes work great - it's almost like riding in the summer with them on. Frozen sand too!

woodsy

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Jan 16, 2002
Pat - Yea sorry I missed you guys - maybe next time!! I just got in from Cedar (it is Monday night) and you are right. That frozen ground with screws is enough to make anyone feel like a hero!! Kinda like riding on pavement with rubber - IT WAS SO NICE NOT WASHING ON THOSE SANDY CORNERS and I really taught those sandy whoops a lesson!!!!!
My riding bud and I are going to go back at it either tommorrow or Wednesday - wanna join?
We are also talking about a trip to the CCC white cloud trailhead at the end of the week! What a perfect time to be in the woods!!
Woodsy

Fred T

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 23, 2001
Originally posted by 70 marlin
Fred do you have any pic's of those tires?

Yes, in my gallery on DRN.

Originally posted by woodsy

My riding bud and I are going to go back at it either tomorrow or Wednesday - wanna join?
We are also talking about a trip to the CCC white cloud trailhead at the end of the week! What a perfect time to be in the woods!!
Woodsy

Gotta work WOODSY but maybe sometime in January after the holidays? You seem to stick to the west side of the state and I ride east and center. I wonder what Evert would be like in the winter! :aj: :aj: Middle of the state kinda and tight and more technical esp in the snow. Are the rocks dangerous in the snow? Can you see them?

Last edited:

woodsy

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Jan 16, 2002
Hey Fred: I stick to the West side cause this is where I live. My home is 15 minutes from Cedar, 20 from Horseshoe, 30 from the Whiteoud trailhead.
I have never been to the Evart system. As far as "Northern" winter riding riding goes, last winter a close friend and I ventured up to the "Snowy chicken" staged out of Peacock LTD (did you ride that?) and then, after the "snowy chicken" dinner at Twin Creek Inn we went and rode Tin Cup (12 - 14" of snow at 2am in the middle of nowhere = one UNFORGETABLE ride!).
Cant imagine that those boulders hiding under the snow would take to kindly to being woken up by a set of studded dirt bike tires though.... It would fun to try it!
Woodsy

70 marlin

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 15, 2000
The Evart is a challenge with no snow, Evart with two inches of snow is a HERO RUN YOU'LL LOVE IT BEEN THERE DONE THAT!
Are the rocks dangerous in the snow? Can you see them?
No. In fresh snow all rock are ghosts. And grab you when you least expect it. It might be different with studs. Fred that’s one sweet tire!

My riding bud and I are going to go back at it either tomorrow or Wednesday - wanna join?
Woodsy
I can relate to showing those whoops who's the boss! Ya right just ask Fred why. (I suck at riding) I have to work till Monday then I'm off till 1/6/03 so I might be up for something after the 26th. If you can deal with a slow pokes Aaron & I averaged about 16 to 20 mph on the trail last weekend. And Josh is still getting used to his new xr280 averaged 12 to 14 mph but that frozen sand was helping him learn real fast. :thumb:

Last edited:

Smit-Dog

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 28, 2001
Originally posted by MWEISSEN
... You'll know where to find me most of the winter!
Can I come stay in your "guest room"? ;)

My wife calls it "hiding". I'm either "hiding" out in the garage, or downstairs on the computer!

Take some pics when you get it finished!

Top Bottom