Anyone able to fit their bike in the back of a Ford Ranger

simple50

Feb 2, 2005
Hey everyone, I've been looking into getting a dirt bike and I'll probably end up either getting a used MX 125 of a KDX 200. I drive an extended cab Ford Ranger Pick up and was wondering if these bikes are too long to fit in the bed of that truck with the tailgate closed.

Anyone have a ford ranger that transport their bikes in?

thanks

James

Lifetime Sponsor
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 2001
I have to turn mine diagonal to get the tailgate closed. You need the extended bed to put it in straight and close the gate.

B

biglou

You might be able to fit it diagonally with the tailgate closed. You can easily fit 2 full-sized bikes side by side with the tailgate down. Get a bed extender to keep your stuff from falling out if you pack lots of gear for the trip.

KX02

Jan 19, 2004
Hey I'm planning on getting a ranger this year. I have been wondering if it will damage the tail gate to drive with it down? I saw that one company sells a ramp which turns into an extender. Doesn't the tailgate get banged up from hitting bumps and things if you drive with it down? Any input would be vey helpful!

B

biglou

No, the bikes hold the tailgate down. If you have a bed extender, it will latch to the tailgate latches, and mounts to the sides of the back of the bed uprights effectively locking it in place. And yeah, if I had it to do over again, I'd get one of those ramp/extender thingies. They seem very beefy and cuts down on things to haul!

jaction125

~SPONSOR~
Jan 30, 2003
I always just put it in with the front straight, then slide the rear over till you can close the gate. May need to put the front in a little off center.

I have a long bed ranger, but I always put the front in the corner, one tiedown to the corner opposite of front, then one to the back on the same side as the front wheel. Barely puts any pressure on the front wheel, when you pull them tight you can see the rear suspension compress a little. :cool:

simple50

Feb 2, 2005
Thanks for all the info. Hey, where can I find that ramp that becomes a tailgate extender? That sounds like a great idea.

KX02

Jan 19, 2004
Simple50 I have the name of the website at home, I'll try to remember to post it here later if no one does before me. There is also a company which makes a bed guard for the front to hold the front wheel. By the way, I am planning on getting the same truck as you. Could you tell me what year yours is and how you like it?

Thanks for the info Lou!

Last edited:

simple50

Feb 2, 2005
Thanks KX. My truck is a '03 edge edition. It has the flareside bed which I don't really like (looks cool but just less room) but I got a real good deal on it. I absoutely love it. It's a lot of fun to drive. I have almost 50K miles on it already and havn't had any problems at all.

Great truck.

MXGirl230

Stupid tires and trees
~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Dec 19, 2002
James said:
I have to turn mine diagonal to get the tailgate closed..

That's what I did when I had my Ranger. Most of the time I didn't even close the gate, just let the bike sit on it.

evenslower

~SPONSOR~
N. Texas SP
Nov 7, 2001
I had a Ranger for a while. Fits well diagonally. If you don't go diagonally you need to find a way to strengthen the front wall of the bed. For some reason Ford didn't beef them up too much and you can bend it pretty badly when you cinch down the bike. Maybe something like a bed buddy.

simple50

Feb 2, 2005
Awe dang, that ready ramp looks perfect but they only make if for the standard bed ranger, not the stepside like I have. I don't guess anyone knows of another company that makes these fors stepside rangers?

RM_guy

Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 21, 2000
North East USA
I'm in the same boat with my new Dakota. It only has a 5 1/2 foot box so I have to use the bed extender. I found this one that folds up that looks neat. Does anyone have one and how well does it work?
Folding extender

Here's one that just either flips inside or on the tailgate

another extender

I do like the folding ramp style but I'm not clear on how it attaches to the truck. Does anyone use one?

Green Horn

aka Chip Carbone
N. Texas SP
Jun 20, 1999
For anyone keeping score, a regular old Ranger has a 6 ft bed. A fullsize shortbed pickup has...ta da, a 6 ft bed. The only difference between a Ranger and an F 150 would be the width.

pursang262

~SPONSOR~
Jul 22, 2000
On the day my 76 dodge van died on the way to a race, we got 4 bikes into a ranger,not minibikes either, a CR500, a YZ250, an ATK and my Pursang.Somewhere I have a photo of this, I'll try to find it.

Uchytil

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 29, 2003
Readyramp

I bought my son a readyramp for his F150. It's great but I did make a small bracket that bolts to the center of the tailgate and clamps over the ready ramp. It keeps the readyramp from flopping up and down when you are driving, hitting bumps, etc. The great thing about a readyramp is it's dual purpose.

bikepilot

Nov 12, 2004
I transported a KX250 and a KX100 to many HS races in my toyota (same size bed as a ranger). I always had the tail gate down with a bed extender....this was several years ago back before the ram/extenders were made, and bed exteders were very rare, the only company making them was AMP reserch (the high end bicycle company). Anyway, it will not damage the truck to use it with the tail gate down and will provide lots of extra room.

good luck and have fun!!

a454elk

Mexicutioner
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 5, 2001
I have the ranger and the ready ramp, good combo. The ready ramp doesn't flop around because the front clips lock into each side of the tailgate locking mechanisms and you can tighten them down with the pull of the strap. Mine hasn't moved one bit, even through the bumps. The ready ramp is the best thing I bought for that truck, works as a great long ramp AND the extender. They are real strong and solid made. I paid around $250 for mine on-line. Not sure about the stepside beds though, don't think they make them for those. With a step side, there is no way it'll fit at an angle with the tail gate up.

Top Bottom