jack10525

Jun 21, 2005
I have decided I need a truck to haul my bikes. I need suggestions on what I should get. I've been looking at smaller trucks like Ford Ranger, NIssan, Frontier, Dodge Dakota. My price is around $8000. I want something realtively new ie: 2000+, 2 door with extended cab, good gas mileage, and deffinately not red. This truck will be a daily driver and only used to carry up to 2 dirtbikes. No trailers or off road duty yet. Anybody have any suggestions? Thanks.....

Sawblade

Timmy Timmy Timmy!
Sep 24, 2000
I'd look for a 2 wheel drive toyota. Good mph, they last for every and are very reliable.

I owned a Ranger with the 4 cylinder for 9 years. It was a great truck, but was a gutless wonder.

rickyd

Hot Sauce
Oct 28, 2001
I like my Frontier, you may be able too find a used 03 extended cab for your price range.. Toyota makes a great truck too..

FruDaddy

Aug 21, 2005
If you are hauling full sized bikes, I'd recommend getting a long bed. I have a 2000 Dodge Ram quad cab, short bed, and I have to load my KX250 at an angle.

rm_racer

Mar 15, 2005
A short bed would be ok, the bikes just have to be tied down better if the back is hanging off. I would suggest a Chevy S-10 personally (I know its not on your list), followed by a Toyota, then a Nissan.

Take a look on www.autotrader.com

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
I've always been impressed with the little Toyota pickups. They seem to require minimal maintainance and will go forever while providing better than average MPG.

FruDaddy

Aug 21, 2005
I prefer to have my tailgate up. This helps keep the rest of my stuff from falling out if I get a bit aggressive on the throttle.

Zerotact

~SPONSOR~
Dec 10, 2002
I really liked My toyota and my Nissan frontier. they never gave me a bit of problems...
I just traded in a dodge dakota v6- 5spd after owning it a year... it would't get out of it's own way, and it got 16-17mpg with two bike in the back whenever I left town...
My 1992 s-10 4.3l v-6 had 200K miles on it and it got 24mpg when I left town with 2 bikes.. If they still made that truck I'd have another...

Tony Eeds

Godspeed Tony.
N. Texas SP
Jun 9, 2002
I have a 1996 S-10 sitting in my driveway with 119,000 and change on the ODO. I expect to get at least 250,000 out of the truck. I picked up used a couple of months back from a friend for $3500. I got it to keep the miles down on my Silverado.

Although I have yet to carry two bikes in it, I have carried my BRP, which almost equals two bikes in terms of weight and it did fine.

It has the L4 engine under the hood and according to a buddy that keeps it running it will be a painless switch to replace the engine if it ever goes south.

jack10525

Jun 21, 2005
Thanks guys. Yeah I have thought of the S-10 too. I guess I'll just have to go test drive all four and see which on I like best. I like the Toy the best so far but I think they are out of my price range. I'm torn between just a beater truck or something nice and done up. I love the newer Tacoma TRD. :bang:

Top Bottom