DEVONC

Dec 22, 2005
I've got a flat, square quarter acre way out back, and access to a Bobcat. I plan on doing a track for my son (just starting out) in the near future. I'd love to see pics of what others have to get some ideas.

Thanks!

crazy4nitro

Aug 31, 2005
I know..just thought you might find it intresting...

Crazy

nikki

Moto Junkie
Apr 21, 2000
1/4 of an acre isn't too much to work with, but should be enough to do an Arenacross style track, probably easiest to start with a horseshoe like layout (where the track lanes would trace the inside and outside of the horseshoe, if that makes sense), and modify as the space allows. Here are some photos of our backyard riding spot - we have a little bit of everything for obstacles - doubles, triples, tables, step-on's, step downs, step-up's, whoops, rhythm sections, bermed turns, flat turns, off camber turns... gotta keep it safe though so no one gets hurt. A Bobcat is the perfect track building tool, but if you want much for jumps, better start getting dirt hauled in NOW.

These are back when it looked like a golf course. It's a little overgrown now, LOL. We're trying to talk Red and Donny into rebuilding it.

Attachments

• D&S 11-30-03 031-S.JPG
    D&S 11-30-03 031-S.JPG
    50.9 KB · Views: 739
  • D&S 11-30-03 021-s.JPG
    D&S 11-30-03 021-s.JPG
    57.8 KB · Views: 948
  • D&S 11-30-03 028-s.JPG
    D&S 11-30-03 028-s.JPG
    49.5 KB · Views: 791

nikki

Moto Junkie
Apr 21, 2000
A few more:

Attachments

• D&S 11-30-03 062-s.JPG
    D&S 11-30-03 062-s.JPG
    126.6 KB · Views: 729
  • D&S 11-30-03 014-s.JPG
    D&S 11-30-03 014-s.JPG
    84.1 KB · Views: 956
  • D&S 11-30-03 030-S.JPG
    D&S 11-30-03 030-S.JPG
    71 KB · Views: 776

nikki

Moto Junkie
Apr 21, 2000
Here are a few more pictures of a fair race track that Red builds each year in a small area. Plus doubles like the one pictured here are nice and safe, ad give you a big landing area... where you can jump it 20 feet or 40 or anywhere in between - nice for a practice track, especially if you have riders of different skill, or newer riders who will likely improve. Keep in mind - it's about 20 semi loads of dirt just for this.... one double, 2 tables, small triple, whoops section, and a couple of rollers and berms.

Attachments

• 100_2246-1.JPG
    100_2246-1.JPG
    94.2 KB · Views: 722
  • 100_2251-1.JPG
    100_2251-1.JPG
    92.1 KB · Views: 876

Jaybird

Apprentice Goon
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 16, 2001
Charlestown, IN
Has Donny made mention of making the water holes a bit larger? LOL...

BUK0138

Sponsoring Member
Mar 29, 2001
:laugh: :laugh: Donny AKA the swamp rat actually struck again.... this time it was with his brand new Ski Doo Adrenaline 500ss, While snowmobiling up at Lake Goegibic Michigan He managed to submerge it so only the ski tips were sticking out......pictures coming soon.... I could only stand there and think where have I seen this before!!!!!!!!!! :ride:

FruDaddy

Aug 21, 2005
Will it be just him riding , or will he have others riding with him?
My back yard is 200x125 and I have set up a single lane, freeform track for my son and I. To conserve resources, it crosses itself a few times and all of the turns are run both ways (there are actually about 20 different turn possibilities). One turn even has two entrances and exits. The longest straight is about 100 ft and the only jump is set up so it can be hit from 6 directions. When I get tired of following the pattern that my boy has chosen, I just change directions. I think it is set up quite well for cornering practice although, he rides the whole thing in 2nd.
To get an idea of what I am talking about, look here. The jump is also set up so that it can grow a bit as his skill increases. In fact is is a bit bigger now than it was then. But it mostly teaches him to set up for a turn just out of a corner, and to get into a corner right after landing a jump.

Tdel

Mar 1, 2004
I have a decent practice on my property, I just can't post the pics because they are to large. Can email them to someone and they post them?

DEVONC

Dec 22, 2005
Thanks for the replies, guys. The idea about tracing the horshoe is a good one. Gives you a mix of tight and wide corners, and makes good use of the space overall. Kind of what I had in mind.

It'll just be for a 3-4yr old learning on a PW50(most likely), so truckloads of dirt won't be necessary. Wheelbarrows should suffice :)

Once he outgrows it, and provided he enjoys it, this place is only 15min away: www.mototownusa.com

And as Jerry and sons said: Keep the pictures coming!

Thanks again!

sick 96 250

Damn Yankees
Jul 16, 2004
jerry and sons said:
I posted the same type of question awhile ago. I have about 1.5 acres to play with. Keep posting the Pics. Thanks! :aj:
I was curious to what happened to you building a track, i just read that post the other day when searching around.

Oct 13, 2005
I am still building the house. The track will be next. I am hopeing to be able to start some kind of work on the track by summer. I got caught up in the politics of permits for the house delaying the build of both the track and the house. :(

c&b745XX

~SPONSOR~
Nov 26, 2001
Jerry and sons , sounds familiar . I've been in our new house for to long ( a couple yrs. ) not done yet . But the truth be known I bought the land to ride on and the house was a after thought . I was like, why drive back to my house in the city and back to the track all the time ? . So building my track and my monster garage are the priorities right now . I have 20 acres to which I guess the MX track takes up 6 or so . I have enough woods to establish a woods loop also . I really didn't realize how much work it was going to be and much pain , being a test pilot and all ... But it's going to be and is fun . I referenced some info from DirtWurx site and as nuts as it may sound I scale trick obstacles off of the races I tape .

JST122

Dec 29, 2005
DEVONC said:
Once he outgrows it, and provided he enjoys it, this place is only 15min away: www.mototownusa.com

DEVONC have you gone over to the Mototown facility yet to check it out? I am originally from CT and I couldnt believe it when I saw the information regarding the new facility a few months back. I know it hasnt opened yet, but I am just curious how the facility looks and if it is going to have more of a MX or SX style layout. I am inclined to think it would have to be more like a MX track to allow a larger number of people to ride the tracks. SX is not for the average skilled rider. Anyway, if you get a chance to walk in there and take some pictures once it is up that would be awesome, I would love to see how it looks.

Matt R

Oct 9, 2004
DEVONC,
For small pieces of land, a decent pitbike track can still be made. If heard people scraping the earth down a couple inches and use the dirt to build the obstacles. You will be surprised on the volume of dirt that can be obtained this way.

Here is link to a small backyard track layout to give you ideas.
http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=313119&highlight=backyard+track

Hey c&b745XX,
Where are you located? If you would like help with the tracks, I would be happy to volunteer. I prefer woods riding and can help with the woods track layout. With my trials background, an endurocross style track could be madeup. Send me a PM if you interested. I live in SE Michigan just north of Toledo, OH.

CaptainObvious

Formally known as RV6Junkie
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 8, 2000
Nikki,

When are you having a DRN ride? I'll bring a house warming gift :)

DEVONC

Dec 22, 2005
JST122 - Last time I drove by it was still a closed off site. Next time I'll see if I can sneak a peek. I'll post some pics when there's something worthwhile.

Top Bottom