Anyone have problems with "Universal Brand Triple Clamps?

snb73

Nov 30, 2003
I purchase an upper and lower clamp set from Motosports. The first set had two stripped bolt holes. I sent them back and it took a month and a half to receive a replacement. Now the second set is defective too. Every time I ride I have to tighten the sterring nut, loosen the top clamp, then tighten the top clamp nut. I thought it was just the new bearings and races seating. But I have tightened it almost an 1/8 of an inch.

It appears as thought the steering stem is being pulled through the lower clamp. Has anyone had a similar problem?

Thanks, Steve.

YZ Teacher

Mar 13, 2007
Steve,
I know this is an old post but yes I am just having the same problem. I spent $80 on a closeout set for my yz and during the install of my new lowerbearing I noticed that my stem could be moved by just my hand. I pushed it out and turned it 90 deg. and repressed it back in. It seems to be holding, however I am not going to install it. I don't trust the part now. I will just use the upper clamp for my fat bars and call it good. I would do the same if I were you. Safety first.

Yz Teacher.

snb73

Nov 30, 2003
YZ,

I finally delt with Universal directly. I incorrectly sent my parts to Motosports for warranty, they send them to Universal. In essence being the middle man. This is what took so long. Universal informed me I should have delt with them from the begining. The customer service at Universal was great. They sent me a second set, overnighted, and included a used lower for comparison. I really like their product, I especially like the top bar clamp setup.

It seems Universal had some issues with manufacturing on their first Generation clamps. The second Gen clamps had stainless steel pinch bolts with safety wire holes. On the first clamp I received, the bearing slid over the steering stem, it should need to be pressed on. The stem wasn't pressed all the way into the lower clamp. When I tightened the stem nut and did a few laps, this cause the stem to take up slack. When I got the clamp, the base of the steering stem was flush with the bottom of the lower clamp. The stem recessed about 1/8 of an inch into the lower clamp and hasn't moved in over a year.

I still order from Motosports with no problems. If you ever have to return an item for a warranty repair, ALWAYS-ALWAYS-ALWAYS contact the manufacturer first. Most companies just RTV, return to vender, the defective part. They wait for that exact part to be repaired by the manufactuer then ship it to you. Most will only give you a new replacement item if the manufacturer credits them for the item first.

I don't hold this against these companies, they are in business to make money.

I should have just kept my stock lowers with the Universal uppers. It would have been faster and cheaper. No harm, lesson learned.

Hope this helps, Steve.

Top Bottom