ryanfoley

Sep 17, 2002
I take a welding class in school, and seriously need to take advantage of it. I can prob get some aluminum for free, and have one of the better tig welders in the class to help me out, but i dont really know how i would mount it to the bike. I bought some frame guard from devol and i was thinking i could have the machine shop next door make some replicas of the mounts, but could you guys give me some ideas, or plans of what you have made, I would use this on a 99 yz125, Thanks alot
RYAN

RM_guy

Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 21, 2000
North East USA
I've made a few of them. The glide plate (no wings on them) are the easiest. I've made a few with wings to protect the side cases but it's difficult to get just the right shape so it fits. I ended up making one out of cardboard as a pattern and then made the aluminum version. It came out pretty nice.

kawi35

Jul 20, 2002
on my bro's skid plate (02' YZ 250) their are hooks that hook over the frame tubing and they are screwed in from the bottom. it holds it really secure and firm. its a good idea the only prob you would have is bending them just right.

RM_guy

Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 21, 2000
North East USA
To attach my plates I use 3/4" conduit clamps that I re-form around a 1" diameter piece of round stock. It make it the perfect size.

little jeff

Aug 20, 2002
Ryan, I made one for a friend of mine out of 10 gauge stainless steel. Cut it to shape on band saw, had a breal press operator put some bends it where the frame starts to bend up. Held it in place with bar stock. Where in WA state are you from? I am a welder too. Give me an e-mail, and I'll see what I can do. Welding stainless and aluminum with TIG is a whole lot of fun.
Little Jeff
[email protected]

ryanfoley

Sep 17, 2002
Hey thanks alot guys
Hey rm guy where would i find those conduit clamps, what do they look like i havent even heard of them.
Kawi35 i those sound like the clamps for my frame guard and they work great
ANd i never did think about the stainless way, but that would be good!

jmics19067

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 22, 2002
I went the difficult route. On my YZ I took 1" tubing and 5/8 round stock center drill the round stock for inside threads, drill 5/8 holes in the 1" tubing weld the drilled round stock inside the holes you just drilled in tubing and then weld the tubing to the bottom cradle of your frame like crossmembers. I formed 1/4 aluminum to fit the cradle drilled and countersunk the holes to bolt up to the crossmembers.no welding of the aluminum but plenty of steel welding.
On my project dual purpose wr I took that 5/8 round stock center drilled for threads, drilled 5/8 holes in the frame and welded them into the frame much like the motor mount bosses in the front. Did the crossmember deal in the rear. Form your plate to the cradle, make ears that will bolt to the bosses and weld to the plate. If my plans work out the way I hope my skid plate will double as my battery mount and as a center stand.

My skid plates are overkill ,not for the faint of heart to fabricate,and you must have absolute trust in your welding capabilities.

I have seen Rm guys skidplates very nice, effective, inexpensive,and simple to make. Looked like he didn't have to take anything off of the bike just measure , fabricate, and bolt up,very clean set up. If I didn't enjoy spending the time in the shop as much as the trails I would of definately done it his way.

Lorin

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 25, 1999
You should be able to find the conduit clamps at you local hardware store, most likely in the electrical section. Those, and a few recessed nuts & bolts should attach the plate to the frame. I made a skid plate for an XR and some frame gaurds for an older bike using the conduit clamps and havent experienced any problems.

ryanfoley

Sep 17, 2002
cool thanks for the ideas, today i cut out the size i needed for the skidplate with card board and will cut out the aluminum peice tomm. Hope I can finish it soon!!
THANKS
RYAN

RM_guy

Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 21, 2000
North East USA
I would think that nylon would gouge too easily on sharp rocks unless it was very thick which would take up a lot of ground clearence.

Lexan is polycarbonate which can crack easily under impact loads (like hitting rocks).

Top Bottom