Taking a machining class: part ideas

SpeedyManiac

Aug 8, 2000
Hi guys,
Not sure if this is the right forum for this so if it's not, could one of the mods move it for me?

Anyhoo,
I'm taking an introduction to manual machining class (Milling machine, lathe and drill press) where we get to choose our own project. I had my first class on saturday and it was great. Now there's 42 hours of machining time left. I have a couple ideas for projects so far:
1) Slave Cylinder Guard/Case Saver. I think this would be somewhat difficult to make on a manual mill, geometry dependent. Bonus is it would be made from aluminum which would be fairly easy to machine. Design would be similar to this one.
case_saver_lg.jpg

2) Bar mounts with integrated handguard mounts. These would be similar to the Fastway mounts. I think this would be a pretty straight forward part to make.
3) Front axle pull. Used to make pulling the front axle out easier. I'm not quite sure how I'd make one as it's round with a lever sticking off it. The design would be similar to this one.
gasgas%20axel%20pull.jpg

4) Kickstand and kickstand mount. The stock GasGas stand is a PITA as it automatically retracts, and changing the mount location results in broken springs. I'm beginning to think this would be ideal as it incorporates the lathe (for the kickstand) and the mill (for the mount on the frame).
5) I've also considered making a new front or rear axle with integrated axle pull if I do the bar mounts or case saver as I still need a project for the lathe in that case.

I'm limited to either aluminum (T6-6061 or 7075), steel or maybe stainless steel for materials. Designing the parts isn't an issue (I'm in 4th year MecE with access to Pro/E and Solidworks for CAD), but I need to get the drawings to my instructor before next saturday, with earlier being better than later. Any other ideas on projects, or ideas for these ones? Thanks.

Jaybird

Apprentice Goon
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 16, 2001
Charlestown, IN
Oil filler cap can involve turning and milling, plus give you the opportunity to cut some threads. Maybe add a bit of meat to the base and knurl it as well. (shrug)

FruDaddy

Aug 21, 2005
How about making me a rev plate for my PW80, I need it to be .095" and matched to the shape of the base gasket. Preferably aluminum. :nod: :nod:

dirt bike dave

Sponsoring Member
May 3, 2000
Gas cap. You could dress up the outside and make it look very trick.

It might not add much function, but would be good eye candy. You could re-use whatever rubber gaskets are in your stock cap.

Or you could make a shark fin for the rear disc, and a front disc guard to match. The front could involve some sort of custom bracket for the brake caliper, and it should be easy to remove with fanny pack tools so that it does not hinder a trail side tire repair.

76GMC1500

Uhhh...
Oct 19, 2006
Hubs would be cool if you have Pro Mechanica to go with your copy of Pro Engineer. You could do optimizations to make them as light as possible. Do them in 7075 and you'll have the strongest, lightest hubs around.

SpeedyManiac

Aug 8, 2000
Thanks for the suggestions guys. I do have Pro/Mechanica as well as Solidworks/Cosmos. I think I've decided on a top bar mount similar to the Fastway design, including a steering damper mount and a set of stainless steel wheel spacers for my rear wheel as mine are pretty grooved. I have to have the drawings done by Friday so it's a little on the rushed side.

SpeedyManiac

Aug 8, 2000
Here's what I've made so far in my class.
New oil fill/drain bolts with 12mm hex head:
Drainplug0001.jpg

Bar mounts with integrated barkbuster mount.
182_8223.jpg

My last project is going to be stainless steel wheel spacers for my bike.

76GMC1500

Uhhh...
Oct 19, 2006
Stainless wheel spacers is an excellent idea, I have been planning to do it for a long time. If you can get a hold of any spheroidized tool steel (M-2 prior to heat treatment) you could make them out of that and oil quench them for an extremely long lasting wheel spacer.

SpeedyManiac

Aug 8, 2000
Thanks for the tip. Unfortunately I don't have access to the equipment to do any heat treating (I need an oven that goes a lot higher than 550°F). Right now I scrounged some 416 annealed bar stock that's looking like the prime candidate. I'd prefer cold rolled 304, but unfortunately I can't find any around here.

SpeedyManiac

Aug 8, 2000
Here's my wheel spacers.
Wheelspacer0001.jpg

I was hoping to make them out of 440 as it gets a lot harder when heat treated but I couldn't get any in time.

trial_07

Play with gravity
~SPONSOR~
Apr 26, 2004
I'm taking these courses starting next year. This looks like a ton of fun and also very practical.

thebleakness

Sep 19, 2006
SpeedyManiac said:
Here's my wheel spacers.
Wheelspacer0001.jpg

I was hoping to make them out of 440 as it gets a lot harder when heat treated but I couldn't get any in time.
It looks like your bit was chattering. ;) Those look good, I havent thought about making spacers in my shop yet, another possible project...

I love those classes, I've taken all them we offered, some of the multiple times. It's amazing what you can create with a mill and lathe. Some day I would like to have a home shop with a nice set... :ahhh:

Top Bottom