anyone ride their KDX in the snow around their yard in the winter?

83MX80

Feb 21, 2005
whats it like? we plowed damn near half around backyard. its not that big, like prolly 70X 20 path that we actually plow. it might be even bigger this year since my dad is building a shop in our backyard. and since im working on the KDX again in the winter(needs new wheel bearings and its got a crack in the plastic gas tank near the mount so its leaking), i was just thinking of riding it out of the shop and burning around the yard a couple of times. but i'd like to know what to expect first. because i dont wanna lay it down and break something and have to fix it AGAIN. :| :bang: and i was wondering if anyone else does this? at our old house on the other side of the mountain(moved from one side of outskirt of town to the other. and we used to live on a loop. so we used to hook up GT's to the quads and rip around the loop. and after we plow the driveway we used to pull out the quad at (when we plowed it was like 8-9 when we finished). and one night it was like 9 when we finished. and still we pulled out the quads and went for a rip around the loop. wiht the headlights on, 5th gear WOT down the road, pulling donuts often, 2wd quads. thats the only time my quad will do a nice posi strip is in the winter.

kmccune

2-Strokes forever
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 3, 1999
If it is not melting and the snow isn't packed down too much you should be fine, but it is a little slippery. Have you looked into putting screws in the tires. This does not cost much and works pretty well. You can go in un crusted snow up to about a foot deep. Crusted snow is another matter. Riding in snow is like riding in deep sand and ruts form. Now on the drive way (or you neighborhood frozen lake :cool: ) the screws are pretty good traction, how good, depends on how many and what screw type you used. You can use sheet metal screws cut short if you don't want to line your tire with a tread from a street tire. But be careful how long you make them. They will come out so you need to check and replace often. Real ice screws stay in better but require the liner, they also work better.

speedracer238

Feb 12, 2004
Me and my buddy rode on some trails that were snowy. basically we got about 20 feet out and just got stuck and couldnt move. That was about a foot or more of snow. i'd agree with kmccune...its like deep sand. it'll be squirrely. but fun if ur careful.

StuckinJersey

May 11, 2005
Spiked tires boys! Expensive but only put one pair on for the whole winter season and man it's better than staring at the bike all winter. I find it's more fun because you can just ride any where you like since there is no under brush and ice for once is your buddy. I've been using Trelleborg's and it's a little over a $500 investment each winter. I tried screws for a cheaper route but there is no comparison.

kmccune

2-Strokes forever
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 3, 1999
And for 500 bucks they should be :yikes: I have always lusted over those, but the wife would skin me if she found out I spent that much on a single set of tires. :ahhh: hey I wonder if that online auction place.......

Glynis27

Jul 7, 2005
I haven't ridden my KDX in the winter yet (I haven't had it a year yet) but I always used to ride my YZ125 and even my old 80 in the snow. I love it and am looking forward to it this winter. A few years ago I was messing around on the ice with my 80 and lost it. Bike fell on it's side, and the handlebars and my helmet broke through the ice. Hurt a bit, but no big deal. It was in part of a swamp and the water under the ice was about 8-10" deep so I wasn't going to drown or lose the bike or anything. Fun times.

-Ryan-

cooker263

Nov 30, 2004
I always take my kdx out a few times in the snow and take it through the trails. It works best when theres only about 3-4 inches or just a light snow-just have to watch out for ice--the ground hurts a lot more in the winter. It's definately nice though-I get sick of staring at my bike in the garage all winter till spring.

kmccune

2-Strokes forever
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 3, 1999
Yup thats it :) :cool: :nod:

joey26

Apr 16, 2002
There's nothing quite like going down the river in the middle of winter, 4th gear, WOT, with the back end sliding from side to side! I think that it makes you a lot better rider, especially when it comes to sand or mud.

83MX80

Feb 21, 2005
awesome. thanx. this thread helps me alot right now because its snowing for the first time this winter, and my kdx is still in pieces. but i heard that my parts will be here (had to order them from another country) the end of next week. and its snowing. so i would like to take her for a quick rip before i park it and pull out the quad. hehehehe i love having a quad and a dirtbike. because in the winter i can park the bike and pull out the quad. course the quad needs a couple of little things too. like a new throttle cable, and 2 new tubes for me tires. im not a big fan of tubes, and ive heard that if you ride them hard enuff that the stems can rip off. but since im only really going to be riding it in the winter then i dont think there's a problem.

kmccune

2-Strokes forever
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 3, 1999
Don't give up on the bike before you try it with screws or ice tires. :nod:

Colorado

Apr 2, 2005
Snow is interesting. It all basically LOOKS the same. It rides different almost every time --- at least here in Denver, where the temperature conditions change all the time. Sometimes it is easy to ride, other times slicker than snot, or hiding slick mud underneath. I've never tried screws or spikes, but usually take my bikes out a few times each winter. I live by a State road with a broad easement about three miles long, even though I'm in the city. That's enough for playing around in.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom