OLHILLBILLY

Jun 29, 2006
Was 45 today and finished the last of the rework (fresh Prestone 50/50) so the time had arrived. Loaded it onto the truck and off the the woods use area we went.
Was by myself so I stayed up out of the gnarly stuff and rode some ridge top quad trails for a little while. After taking the beating the YZ250 dished out for a year and a half, the KDX is a dream to ride. Havn't rode a dirt bike in a full year, but settled in and started feeling comfortable with it right off.
It starts on the first kick when warmed up and has an amazing amount of low end power for a 2 stroke. Suspension actually goes OVER stuff instead of banging sideways off of everything like the YZ did.
Problem points, it seems to be surgy and somewhat erratic at a steady throttle. And doesn't seem to want to rev real well on top end. Doesn't crap out, just kind of flat and unwilling to rev past a certain point. Low end and most of mid range is snappy and great. Then again it may just seem that way in comparison to that rampaging YZ250.
Anyway, was a good, though short (11 miles), ride. Weather permitting I'll go back and work with it some more next weekend. :cool:

2strokesrock

Oct 7, 2008
Sounds like you had fun :) I can't wait untill it warms up enough for me to take my KDX for a ride.
I thought it had a lot of low end for a 2T also :) in fact I thought it was the most amzing bike ever! but my opinion is a little biased cause my last bike was a 1976 KE 125 enduro (you the type..steel with a lead core outlined in crome):) so the KDX was like heaven for me :)

Last edited:

0120x

Jan 10, 2009
olhillbilly sounds like you had a good ride today,wish it was 45 here it was about 80 today,i hope you get your power problem worked out.i got my top end done and i have the same noise as before maybe its the power valve makeing noise.hope you get to ride some more.i feel lucky to get to ride year round.take care and ride often,0120x

mudpack

Nov 13, 2008
OLHILLBILLY said:
doesn't seem to want to rev real well on top end. Doesn't crap out, just kind of flat and unwilling to rev past a certain point. Low end and most of mid range is snappy and great.
What you are feeling is to be expected, especially after coming off an MX machine. Engine tuning is always a compromise....to gain the good bottom end, the engine has to give up something on top.
Your KDX will perform best if you short-shift. Reving it above about 5000rpm (estimated) will be counterproductive....you'll go faster if you let it use its torque.

It's about 65 degrees out now, and I'm getting ready for a ride of my own.....

OLHILLBILLY

Jun 29, 2006
mudpack said:
What you are feeling is to be expected, especially after coming off an MX machine. Engine tuning is always a compromise....to gain the good bottom end, the engine has to give up something on top.
Your KDX will perform best if you short-shift. Reving it above about 5000rpm (estimated) will be counterproductive....you'll go faster if you let it use its torque.

It's about 65 degrees out now, and I'm getting ready for a ride of my own.....

Yes, that's what I started doing after a bit. Use a gear higher than I did on the YZ and it seemed happy. Going to be a fun bike. :cool:

Now if the weather will just cooperate..

Top Bottom