RM85rider123

Oct 28, 2007
hey, just wanting to see if anybody on here liked to squirrel hunt, or do any type of hunting. maybe we can exchange tips. :cool:

BadgerMan

Mi. Trail Riders
Jan 1, 2001
Yup, one of my favorite things to do with my kids.......besides riding.

RM85rider123

Oct 28, 2007
want to exchange tips? I have no luck so far in the season and I really want to know if a .410 shotgun actually works, i am using winchester AA clay shells.

Bri-Z

Mod Ban
Nov 8, 2007
I squirrel hunt. I shoot them with my blow gun to wound them then to finish the job i strap m-80s to them then i tie the dead mess to the back of my yz and parade around town and auction it off to the highest town bidder.

ropethebike

Oct 24, 2006
hey man, .410 will work but not very good using bird (clay?) shot. Use #6 or #4 shot.

I prefer to use a .22 rifle or my .32 blackpowder muzzleloader.

When you use a rifle instead of a shotgun you will have less bloodshot meat from the numerous and various shot that hits them.

Good Luck and keep practicing your "barkin"

rtb

Rooster

Today's Tom Sawyer
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 24, 2000
I've done a bit of squirrel hunting in my time. My best tip is to go out into the trees and sit down, let the world around you forget you are there. In a while the squirrels will do their thing, running and climbing all around you. A 410 is a little bit overkill, if you are into making a meal out of these small pesky little rodents. I used a .22 cal. and had really good luck with it.

I now have a new weapon for keeping the squirrels out of my perimeter. It's a SSYM. (Squirrel Seeking Yard Missile) AKA my dog. :laugh:

Bri-Z! How in the world did you become such a shining example of everything I never would want to be? :coocoo:

Jaybird

Apprentice Goon
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 16, 2001
Charlestown, IN
I stopped hunting squirrels with a shotgun when I was about 12. (I hate biting into buckshot) .22 is about all I have ever used since then.
An old guy I knew was going to machine me a .22 muzzle loader, but he died and I have never gotten that done.

OK, I have a tip...
Squirrels are not territorial, at least I don't think they are. What they are, is curious.
It seems that even though they are very elusive, and can hide with the best of all critters...they are very curious animals. They may be hid well in the top of a hickory tree, but you can bet they can't help but want to check things below out.
Often times this curiousness is what gets them to the dinner table.

If you are out in the woods, and you are in a hot spot...say like lots of acorn cuttings below some trees...and you could hear the little devil cutting on the nuts from a ways off...
But, you step on a stick and it breaks. Which of course is louder than it normally would have been, and the squirrel hears or spots you. He is now hid out, or on the run, soon to be hid out.
If you didn't spot him and take him then, simply sit down below one of the trees, and pull out two quarters. Put one of them in one palm and close your hand most of the way around it, leaving maybe just one edge visible. Take the other quarter in your other hand, between your thumb and index finger, and pull the notched edges of the quarter against the edges of the other quarter. With practice this will make the sound of a squirrel cutting on nuts. THis will often times bring the squirrel out of hiding for at least a look.

Now, if he is still spooked and that didn't bring him out...
You want to do basically the same thing with the quarters again, only this time you are going to briskly hit and strike against the other quarter in rapid succession.
If you have ever heard a squirrel bark..this is the sound that you are trying to imitate.
And it works like a charm. It takes practice, but in no time you will find yourself being able to almost spot-on imitate the squirrel both eating and barking.

Now, a barking squirrel means business to another squirrel. It means that there is at least one of them so upset that he will jeopardize his hide to give whatever it is that has him upset, hell. They simply can't help themselves, and seem to want to bark themselves. I have done this and even when the squirrel realizes its me, and not another squirrel, I have had them continue to bark and carry on at me. Almost as if a challenge by the squirrel.

Good luck!

metrickkruzer

May 14, 2005
I'm an avid squirrel hunter. I pride myself on getting the limit which is 6 here in Kentucky, when I hunt. 6 in the morning,..another 6 in the evening.

I have seen many a hunter shoot a squirrel and take off running and making enough rackett to scare everything in the woods to death. Don't get too excited once you've shot a squirrel and run over to claim your game,..instead just continue to stand or sit where you are. There are usually many more close by. This works for me and I can usually bag 3-4 out of one tree or two trees close to each other.

Last edited:

BadgerMan

Mi. Trail Riders
Jan 1, 2001
Twenty guage with 7 or 8 shot at least until the leaves are down. The reason being that I like to hunt grouse and woodcock at the same time. After the leaves are down and the season closes for birds, I switch to a scoped .22.

Yeah, find a good spot to sit on a sunny calm day and you will likely hear them (shredding pine cones or acorns) long before you see them. Squirrels seem to be like humans in that they like nice weather. They don't seem to move around too much when it's windy, real cold, or precipitating. A good bet is a nice sunny warm day after a stretch of nasty weather. The squirrels will be out in herds stuffing their cheeks since they can't seem to go too long without eating.

Rooster

Today's Tom Sawyer
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 24, 2000
RM85rider123 said:
One more thing, how do you all never get poison ivy, oak, or sumac? that stuff pisses me off....

Lucky for me, I've never had any reaction to the ivy, oak or sumac. Best bet is to watch where you go, and know the leaf patterns of said plants. I could tell a story about a friend and his wife and the poison ivy, but it's a tad racy for this site. :whoa:

XRpredator

AssClown SuperPowers
Damn Yankees
Aug 2, 2000
I don't think rope the bike guy was talking about the noise made by the squirrels when he spoke of "barking"

Unless I'm wrong, I believe he's speaking of the technique of shooting the branch where the squirrel sits, or the bark, if you will, thereby not damaging the squirrelly meatness of the squirrel but killing him with the concussion.

Rooster

Today's Tom Sawyer
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 24, 2000
"Squirrelly meatness"? If you call that "meat", I have no clue how you got to be the ginourmous feller that you are. :nener:

I only shot the little bastages because they were annoying the heck out of my dog and trying to build a nest in my attic. Didn't need any scopes or baiting techiques, just a good aim and a nice lazy day.

RM85rider123

Oct 28, 2007
hey all, I just got back from splitting firewood, yes i am only 13, got 15 dollars though, so I was thinking about getting 410 buckshot, should I? and yes they do make buckshot in 410. Also, should I get the shells with 3 pellets, or 5?

Last edited:

Jaybird

Apprentice Goon
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 16, 2001
Charlestown, IN
Pred, you silly mountain man...

I'm certain he was referring to barking, as in the noise made with the mouth. That is what a squirrel does...he barks when he is upset about something.

Many avid squirrel hunters, as I was at one time, have a habit of being able to imitate the squirrels barking noise, which tends to call them into sight...as I was explaining about using the quarters. Quarters are for those guys who can't yet "bark" proper.
Some can't talk like Donald Duck, and some can't bark.
:)

Young man,
You were given some good advise about using a #6 or a #4 shot. I would opt for the #4 shot, as they hit harder and there are less of them to bite into.

One more bit of advise...
Never hunt unless you plan on cleaning and eating your game. If you can't clean and eat it, be sure you have someone that can and will.
IMO, hunting just for the sake of killing an animal, is one of the worst crimes we can commit.

Rooster

Today's Tom Sawyer
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 24, 2000
Huntin', I wasn't huntin', I was sitting on the back deck shootin' the lil guys in the yard. (County zoning laws state that a squirrel within 30 yards of your home may be destroyed, as they are considered to be un-healthy home invading pests, such as rats and mice)

In turn, the larger, less invasive critters in the area got a quick easy meal.

High Lord Gomer

Poked with Sticks
Sep 26, 1999
I shot one squirrel when hunting. That thing was enough of a pain to clean with very little meat that I swor I would never shoot another one. Until....

...they started invading the house. You could lie in bed at night and hear them gnawing through plywood and 2x4s to make nests in the attic. That's when I started "Yard Hunting".

In our current house, they even came down the wall and through the sheetrock into the living room! When I went to the local feed-n-seed store to get a bird feeder they tried to sell me a flowery one with glass. I said, no, I wanted a galvanized one that I could shoot squirrels off of.

An old guy there said, "What you gonna do with them squirrels?"

I said, "Nothing. I hate to clean them."

"Awww, you need to bring them by here to me! I loves me some squirrel! It's times like that makes me wish I had all my teef!"

KDX220rSpeed

Dec 4, 2007
i went after i had my wisdom teeth cut out and was all druged up i took my .410 shot gun with #6 small game shot and did pretty good just get the #6 or #7 shot it works the best

XRpredator

AssClown SuperPowers
Damn Yankees
Aug 2, 2000
Jaybird said:
Pred, you silly mountain man...

I'm certain he was referring to barking, as in the noise made with the mouth. That is what a squirrel does...he barks when he is upset about something.
Jay you ignorant slut
(apologies to Dan Aykroyd and Jane Curtin)

From the Kentucky Dept. of Fish and Wildlife -- http://fw.ky.gov/080103.asp?lid=823&NavPath=C105C122C522C382 --
Pioneer hunters in Kentucky relished demonstrating their marksmanship by “barking a squirrel.” To prove how good a shot they were, early hunters leveled their Kentucky Rifles at squirrels in trees trying to hit the bark of the tree as closely as possible to the squirrel. The concussion of the lead ball on the tree shocked the life out of the squirrel and it fell to the ground, usually without even piercing its skin.
Now, I'm not saying you can't bark at squirrels, since Hunter's Specialties makes a squirrel call (http://www.hunterspec.com/Updateable/update_display.cfm?pageID=268&categoryID=28), but that ain't what I learnt "barking a squirrel" was to mean.

Have a bitchen day.

letsride24-7

Aug 10, 2006
Jaybird said:
pull out two quarters. Put one of them in one palm and close your hand most of the way around it, leaving maybe just one edge visible. Take the other quarter in your other hand, between your thumb and index finger, and pull the notched edges of the quarter against the edges of the other quarter. With practice this will make the sound of a squirrel cutting on nuts.

I've used this for years.. They come running..

SINGLETRAC

Oct 10, 2007
this time of the year is the best. take a pal and "turn squackers". see one jump in a tree, have your buddy stand still on one side while you slowly walk around it,the squaker will move to keep the tree between you and him.thats when your buddy barks him with a .22, gotta love them squacker brains !!! :laugh:

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom