which hunting rifle

This season i am going to start hunting whitetail and wild boar/hog. which rifle would be good for that type of hunting? I want to use the same rifle for both types of hunting. I will be hunting in south georgia and northern florida. I really like the way bolt action rifles look but which one would have enough power to put down a large boar and whitetail?

I would say some type of 270 winchester made by remington would be fine...

i currently have two rifles. my savage .243 is my favorite, small and little kick. i know from experience it could take down a whitetail and im pretty sure it could handle a boar.

i also have a savage 7mm magnum which has a LOT more power and kick. it could easily take down either one.

Moose said:
dirtrider.net :think:
off-topic discussion forum :nod:

Thanks for the advice guys. I am new to hunting and rifles. I am gonna go in search of one in the next few weeks or so to see what i can find.

Patman

Pantless Wonder
I would want something with a BIG bang for boar. Those guys tend to not be really happy to begine with and when you irritate them they get really nasty.

XRpredator

AssClown SuperPowers
Damn Yankees
I have to agree with Pat. Boars is related to Bears, and both can take a lot of damage before they go down.

I'd bump it up a little and go for a .308 or .30/06. Might be a tad overkill for deer, but you can get lighter loads for 'em. If you really want to be sure, go 7mm Rem Mag or .300 Win Mag (DEFINITELY overkill for deer, but nice flat shooters).

If I had my 'druthers, I'd look into a lever action .44 magnum, and I'd pack the pistolero chambered the same for the close range stuff with the pigs, but I already got an /06 and a 7mm Mag.

BadgerMan

Mi. Trail Riders
XRpredator said:
I'd bump it up a little and go for a .308 or .30/06.
Ditto......Savage makes a great shooting bolt action rifle for the money.

XRpredator said:
I have to agree with Pat. Boars is related to Bears, and both can take a lot of damage before they go down.

I'd bump it up a little and go for a .308 or .30/06. Might be a tad overkill for deer, but you can get lighter loads for 'em. If you really want to be sure, go 7mm Rem Mag or .300 Win Mag (DEFINITELY overkill for deer, but nice flat shooters).

If I had my 'druthers, I'd look into a lever action .44 magnum, and I'd pack the pistolero chambered the same for the close range stuff with the pigs, but I already got an /06 and a 7mm Mag.
so either some type of a 30-6 or .308 and ill be fine with the boar?

Go with an 06 or a 308. You can buy factory ammo for these rifles the will do just about anything want in terms of North American game. If you get into loading your own ammo then there are few limits on these rounds. The 06 properly loaded can take anything on the continent.

Back in the day I had a Remington Model 7 .308. Had an 18 1/2 inch barrel and shot 1 inch to 1 1/2 inch groups at 100 yards.

Great gun for deer and probably boar - it's so short (doesn't get caught on branches and bushes as much as a 22 inch barrel) and light - the models are around 6-7 pounds. Of course, the light weight does make it feel like it kicks a bit. . . It wasn't a lot of fun to shoot on the bench, but then again, I'm a wuss. ;)

I think that would be a great gun for you.

BTW, many of the other companies also make similar models. I'm sure I've seen Savage and Ruger lightweights. . .

I'm 17 and have been hunting since the day I was of legal age to do so lol. Of course, I would sit with my father in the woods before then. Maybe things are different here in NY, but the 30-06 is the gun of choice for deer. My father's whitetail gun is a 30-06 and all my cousins and family deer hunt with a 30-06. I have a .308 for whitetail. I was going to use a 6mm (about the same size as a .243) for deer, but opted for the .308. I don't think a 30-06 or a .308 is overkill for deer. It's a good caliber for boar and it's just as good for whitetail. If you're sensitive to recoil than go for a .308. Depending on the load a 30-06 can beat the hell out of your shoulder, but a .308 is a pleasure to shoot. My .308 is a bolt, nice and light for woods hunting and the recoil is minimal. My 12 gauge kicks more than the .308. Take a look around, a .308 or 30-06 will suit you fine. A .300 is probably pushing it.