AP Back Guard from Sportprotection

MikeT

~SPONSOR~
Jan 17, 2001
I finally had a chance to ride with the AP Back Guard from Sportprotection this past weekend. This back guard is, I believe, designed to protect your spine from impacts from either something hitting you or you hitting something. Also if you were to get run over by another bike I think it would help. I am 6'3" with a 34" waist and was wearing the "Big Seinor" size ($79). I have not cut or altered the guard in any way for this test. The guard is simple and not bulky. From the website "We have sold over 100,000 units so far and received many hundreds of letters over the years from riders that are convinced that our product prevented serious injury. However, like with any safety gear, we cannot guarantee 100% prevention against all injuries." That said, here are my riding impressions.

First, I was riding on a outdoor mild SX type track with many tight turns, uphills, down hills, doubles and lots of jumps. When I first put the guard on I had it layered as follows. A T-shirt, a jersey, the back guard, another jersey (it was cold that day), my kidney belt, then my O'neil rock block chest protector. I immediately noticed how the guard made me have a little better posture however it lifted my CP up a little, but not much. I walked around and loosened the Back protectors (BP) waist band a little so it wasn't so tight and went riding. I liked how the BP hugged my spine and gave me a little more security in that area. I only noticed it a little while riding. THEN, I came in and decided to slide the BP down a little (1 inch or so) so it wasn't pushing on my CP anymore. WOW! did that make a difference. Now the BP complimented my back and fit perfectly without touching my CP. It also did not interfere with my seat when I sat down. I went out on the track again and didn't even notice it at all. I am really impressed with the fit and feel of the protector. I hope I never have to have it do it's job but I really like knowing it's back there. I also would say that when you get one of these things, slide it up and down a little to make sure you have it in the right spot. The positioning of the BP makes all the difference in the feel and comfort.

This is a piece of protection that I think you should all try and wear. When I was in the pits, I noticed that no one else had one and many riders had only front chest protectors which was a little scary. I know that MX is not the safest sport to be in however I will still ride, but be prepared for the worst.

I am the sole bread winner in my family and have a wife and two little boys. I don't want to take the chance of something bad happening because I didn't want to spend $79. I think it's money well spent and I hope you guys take a look at this product.

MikeT

Last edited:

LWilson250

Jan 1, 2001
Thanks for the good review Mike, those protectors look very nice. And on the advice of the people here I am going to try and invest in one. It's just a good idea.

Lee W.

KXTodd

~SPONSOR~
Nov 25, 2000
How did your kidney belt feel with this on? Think you could go without it? Wish I had this thing before my wreck Sun. I could have given a good review to see if it protects the tailbone:silly:

MikeT

~SPONSOR~
Jan 17, 2001
I feel honored Oldguy that my post is a top item. Thanks! I also thought that the safety aspects were worth posting. :D

Todd, I wore my kidney belt as noted above and liked the feel. The people at SportProtection state that the belt/band that comes with the BP can be used as a light duty kidney belt if you want, but they recommend wearing a Kidneybelt anyway.

From Sportprotection
"Do I need to wear a kidney belt with AP Back Guard?
Yes and No. The waist belt functions as medium duty kidney belt and that is a well liked feature for less aggressive riders. It is 135 mm or 5 1/4" wide and attaches with two elastic straps and Velcro. However, we do recommend wearing a high quality kidney belt under the waist belt for aggressive riders."

(I'm not an agressive rider, I'm an agressive crasher :D)

I didn't notice any problems with wearing it with the BP. One thing to note was that I wore my kidney belt over the BP. I don't see any difference with wearing it over or under. The only thing I would make mention of is the positioning of your belt. If you put your belt too high, you will put too much pressure on your belly which I found to be uncomfortable. Thats why I lowered the BP and kidney belt a little. With that, the BP completely covered my tailbone. Sorry you didn't have one for your crash. :(

MXP1MP

Nov 14, 2000
That makes me glad to know there is at least one out there avalible cause like a month ago I brought it up at a race and people were like that be kewl but they don't make one. I started wearing a pcs racing neck brace at the begining of the ax season at the end of the ax season a few of my riding buds were wearing them. This will be a must get item now.

MikeT

~SPONSOR~
Jan 17, 2001
I was worried about wasting my money buying one because I hadn't spoken to anyone who has used one. Now after riding with it I feel more secure because of it. It does not impede your riding in any way IMO. I think you'll like it once you get it adjusted in the right position.

MikeT

MikeT

~SPONSOR~
Jan 17, 2001
I thought mine was pretty official :p :p :p . JK I'd like to see what you guys think. Reguardless, I really like it.

lightning21

Apr 30, 2001
MIKET: What about wearing the back protector with a back pack type drinking system? of course a chest protector. I ride harescrambles and need the wet stuff to make it.
;)

Last edited:

MikeT

~SPONSOR~
Jan 17, 2001
It won't interfere at all. The drinking system youare talkingabout is like a camelback one right? You can wear the back guard under a jersey and not even see that it is there. It is only all told maybe 1" thick at the thickest part. It wouldn't be a problem at all. Like I said, once you have it positioned properly, you won't even know it's there.

mikew

Dec 4, 2001
Hey Mike T. where did you get your back gaurd? Do they have a web-site? I am one of the older riders out there that hurts a lot longer than some of the younger ones and takes a lot longer to heal do I'm all for protection and prevention!

MikeT

~SPONSOR~
Jan 17, 2001

jeffw

Nov 27, 2001
I'm 5'7" with a 32 inch waist and have the Senior size. (Mike T) has the Big Senior. I wear mine over my jersey, tucked in my pants, and under my CP with my Camelbak over the CP. Sounds like alot, but remember the back protector is only about 5/8 inch thick.

The Senior is designed for riders up to 6' and I could feel mine when I moved around on the seat and when I looked up, so I trimmed two tabs off the bottom and one on top and now it fits my torso fine and I don't even know I'm wearing it. But it sure gives a nice sense of security. I may have overtrimmed mine, so if you need to trim try a ride, trim, repeat cycle unitil it feels right. I consider this essential riding gear behind only a helmet and goggles as far as safety goes.

This is a quality product that I highly recommend. Mine was at my door 4 days after I ordered it.

PSmith

Apr 28, 2001
I have looked at their web site and it looks good! Looking forward to seeing the tests. Life is too short to not have this type of protection!

Jesper

Feb 26, 2001
As I'm Swedish and the back guard used to be mandatory over here, I've used the AP back guard for almost 10 years by now. I have only good things to say about the back guard and I would never ride without it. I seldom use an additional kidney belt as I believe the guard itself give enough support most of the time. Most people still use the AP guard, but guards like the Dainese Safety Jacket is gaining ground.

PSmith

Apr 28, 2001
I really like the AP back guard and it looks like I will be getting one for myself. I have a friend who has one and he likes it a lot and also he has a lot of good things to say about it.

NO HAND

~SPONSOR~
Jun 21, 2000
I Ordered one right after reading this review. I received it today and can't get over with how comfortable it is. I expected such a piece of gear to be heavy and bulky, well...surprise. It is so light and well made that you forget it's there. Like Mike said, it's better if you wear it a bit lower. Also I like the extra back support it gives. I got the Senior one. It's all black and looks better than the blue one on the picture. ;)

Last edited:

MikeT

~SPONSOR~
Jan 17, 2001
Thanks, I'm glad you liked my review. I hope more people will use one to prevent some injuries. I didn't even think of mentioning the color.

Top Bottom