Jackpiner57

~SPONSOR~
Aug 11, 2002
My KDX200 engine has always been a little noisy. Ever since day one. By this I mean mechanical noise not exhaust noise.

I met a guy on the trail with a KTM exc200 and his engine was much quieter.

Tom Ludolff

Oct 3, 2002
Lubricated with crushed gravel!!!! That's a perfect description!!! I think most 2-strokes make that noise. I had an '84 CR500 that was real noisy. Now I have an '01 KX500 and an '03 KDX220 and they're both rattley. A little extra tranny oil always helps. I think synthetic oils help too.

Tom Ludolff

Oct 3, 2002
CMcCarthy, How's that EXC300 compare to a KDX. Obviously alot more power, being a 300, but what about comfort and handling? Would I miss my KDX220 if I traded it for an EXC300?

Fred T

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 23, 2001
Originally posted by Tom Ludolff
CMcCarthy, How's that EXC300 compare to a KDX. Obviously alot more power, being a 300, but what about comfort and handling? Would I miss my KDX220 if I traded it for an EXC300?

No, I doubt it. Unless you ride mountain goat trails strictly in first gear.

CMcCarthy

~SPONSOR~
Apr 22, 2002
The KTM300 is as vast an improvement over the KDX as the Concorde over the horse. Once you step up to an orange bike, you'll never look back. Even on the first gear goat trails I'd still say the KTM is superior. Both of my old KDXs were modded to death, and the KTM still takes the cake.

Jackpiner57

~SPONSOR~
Aug 11, 2002
Thanks for all the responses. I can rest easier now knowing that my KDX sounds normal. Time to inspect the top end now, I have one season on it and will rebuild it and clean the KIPS.

CMcCarthy

~SPONSOR~
Apr 22, 2002
250 will cost more than a 300. 200 has to be ridden like a 125, by buzzing it to the moon and staying on the pipe. The 300 is both the cheapest and the easiest to ride slow. The 250 is excellent, but it will cost $500 to $1000 more, and nobody knows why.

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
Re: 'Once you step up to an orange bike, you'll never look back'

Don't 'step up' unless you can ride the replacement!! As stated by the orange crush in the above, the KTMs certainly aren't all the same.

My riding buddy 'upgraded' to a 200 pumpkin from a 200 kdx. I've ridden it (as little as possible..ugh!). Unless you are going to 'buzz it to the moon', you'll be missing your kdx sore!!!

Yeah...it scoots. The decrease in weight AND the lower center of gravity feels GREAT. It also vibrates like crazy!! Within minutes, you won't feel your arms.

AND...it's stiff as a board...even after three suspension changes.

No, I'm not a ktm fan. Not based on the 200, anyway. Although I usually have my 200 set up for woods single track, if I set it up for a hard hitting ride (jetting, reed, pipe and timing changes), it keeps up with the ktm just fine.

Probably a good thing to keep in mind that the RIDER of the ktm is good enough to USE it..and use it well. But then....he could outride 90% of any group with him on his kid's CR80R, too.........

re: noise

Take note of the 'more oil' comment. That helps.

The ktm200 noise is more from running gear than engine noise. Going downhill on my kdx with the engine off, all you hear is tire hum and suspension swoosh. The ktm makes such a clamor in the same situation, I bump started the thing just to mask the noise! Crimenently!! What a racket!!

Last edited:

CMcCarthy

~SPONSOR~
Apr 22, 2002
Bear in mind that as a 2 time KDX owner I had no intention of flaming the green bikes. Also, I agree that the 200 would be my last choice for a KTM. It's exactly like riding a 125, but with more power. It has no bottom end, a weak middle, and absolutely unbelievable top end. It hits like a cement truck.

That being said, a 250 or a 300 has vastly more power than a KDX (40-50hp, depending on source), is lighter, has a lower center of gravity, and costs 50% more. Those are the ups and downs in black and white.

As for the harshness, an EXC with the $35 Chuck Waggoner fork revalve is as smooth as can be. Tell your buddy to look on the big online auctions site and order him one. He'll thank you.

Tom Ludolff

Oct 3, 2002
So, if we look at the KTM300EXC and the KDX 200/220, is price the only reason to choose the KDX over the KTM300??? The KDX must have some advantage? Comfort? Handling? Gearing?

CMcCarthy

~SPONSOR~
Apr 22, 2002
Originally posted by Tom Ludolff
So, if we look at the KTM300EXC and the KDX 200/220, is price the only reason to choose the KDX over the KTM300??? The KDX must have some advantage? Comfort? Handling? Gearing?

Aside from price, the only advantage the KDX brings to the table in my opinion is stone solid japanese reliability and readily available spare parts. FWIW, I feel that the KDX is inferior to the KTM in comfort and handling, and the added torque makes gearing a non issue. I'm not joking when I say I can have my 300 at a walking pace in 3rd gear, and just roll onto the throttle and accelerate away with no complaint at all. Try that on ANY kdx short of a 240cc bike with every single mod you can buy. Even then I'd have my doubts.

cheska4

Apr 3, 2002
Even though it looks as though the original subject has been lost here, I've got to chime in. I sold an '02 KDX 200 and recently picked up an EXC 300 KTM. My KDX was a blast. I rode it for six months, threw a PC exhaust, Fredette springs and a larger rear sprocked on it and loved it. Yes, like all KDX's it knocked. It also was a great all around bike that I'd still have today if the KTMs 300's weren't so cheap. '03 models can be shipped via Yellow Freight pretty close to your house for under $6,000. '02 300's can be had for as little as $4,800. My friend just picked one up for ~$4,500. The four stroke craze has caused many to dismiss the mid and larger displacement 2-strokes, which is good for all of us. The KTM will make your A** hurt for the first few rides, and is engineered for speed right out-of-the-box---no mods needed. It'll punish you until you figure out how to hang on to the thing. There are no isolation mounts on the bars, so you feel everything--good when you're tearing down that leaf covered trail, but still takes some getting used to. Dump $1,000 into a brand new $4300 220 and you'll still find yourself wanting. Granted, the 300 has 50% greater displacement, but I don't miss the KDX, as the KTM is frighteningly quick. How many KDX's pull the front end off the ground (on pavement) in fourth gear?

CMcCarthy

~SPONSOR~
Apr 22, 2002
The dealer in Athens shut down, and a new one opened in Huntsville. It's on Jordan Lane next to the big RV deealership. They sell Arctic Cat and KTM.

As for riding, we still ride CMRA exclusively. There's no place local except the MX tracks.

fuzzy

~SPONSOR~
Jul 26, 2002
"The 250 is excellent, but it will cost $500 to $1000 more, and nobody knows why."

Racing. The 300 is an open class bike and will compete against KTM 380's, 500's etc. I've never seen any 300's in the open class either--LOTS of 380's (Obvious reasons).

Jackpiner57

~SPONSOR~
Aug 11, 2002
canyncarvr, good post.

I love my 02 KDX200 too, especially in the tight stuff. The KTM EXC200 is not for me either. I'm going for comfort and handling here.

Thanks for all the replies. There is a wealth of info in this forum.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom