CAL

Sponsoring Member
Jul 19, 2000
Anyone up for it?  My dad and I are going to give it a shot.  I've never raced MX or AX, so this will be an experience, I'm sure.  Practice from 6:00 - 9:00 pm Friday night.  Registration starts at 10:00 am Saturday with practice following.

CAL

Sponsoring Member
Jul 19, 2000
Originally posted by limitless
Do you have a "pit crew"? LOL, I'll do that, but I don't have the cahunas to actually race AX (yet)

Yeah, me and my wife! ;)   If I can get out there, anyone can!  This isn't 'real' AX.  This is super tiny, super tight AX.  We're talking 2 doubles, 1 whoop section and one flat straight.  It could almost be called a TT race.  This will probably be a one gear track.  Put her in third and go!

CAL

Sponsoring Member
Jul 19, 2000
Originally posted by Yamahauler
What time does the race start and where in Murray is it?

They advertise that the racing starts at 7:30 pm.  I think that is the main events, though.  I think they start some of the heats in the late afternoon.

It's at the Murray State Expo center on College Farm road.

You better come to race, not watch!  I don't want to be the only woods guy out there.

limitless

subscribed
~SPONSOR~
Aug 11, 2002
LMAO, I would but as I said, this white boy CAN'T jump. I definetly don't want to try any doubles....tabletops....maybe, but no doubles for me!

How much does it cost and how long do you get to practise?

Last edited:

Yamahauler

Jun 9, 1999
Originally posted by CAL

You better come to race, not watch!  I don't want to be the only woods guy out there.

Sorry, I've got my bike tore down for repairs. I'll come and throw some rocks and logs down so you feel more at home!

CAL

Sponsoring Member
Jul 19, 2000
I can now say that I raced my first and last arenacross.  It wasn't a very spectactular weekend.  Friday night's practice started slow, but was ok.  I think over a period of 3 hours we got about 15 laps of practice (not enough for me).  Dad decided he wasn't going to race, after the practice session.  I thought about backing out, but decided to give it a shot.  Race day is the part I don't see how people can deal with.  I've never seen so many bikes and quads trying to squeeze into one area in my life.  You register at 10:00 a.m., then sit for 2 hours, then get 5 laps of practice, then sit for another 2 hours waiting for everyone to practice.  Then heat races start.  I was lucky enough to be the second group out for practice, and was class # 21(out of over 50 classes!) on my heat race.  That meant roughly 4 hours between my practice and my heat.  And here is where it gets good. :silly:  In my heat race, I was in the #3 gate out of 8 bikes.  So I was right in the middle of the pack...not good for someone who's never lined up at a gate before.  So the gate drops and we take off.  The guy to my right and I, immediately get tangled together...then break apart, and then we really get together and I go down.  I didn't even make it to the first turn!  I picked my bike up, and finished the 2 remaining laps of my heat. :(   I got back to the pits and thought I had mashed my wedding band on my finger.  Pulled my glove off and my finger was swollen and that's why it felt like the ring was mashing my finger.  I watched a few more heats trying to decide if I was going to ride my main, and then my dad talked me into leaving and getting my wedding band cut off.  So, now after my trial at AX, I have a wedding band to get repaired, and broken finger!  I'll never run AX again.  I wouldn't have enjoyed even if I wouldn't have broke my finger.  $10 to practice, $30 to race, spend 11 hours at the track and get to spend about 15 minutes time on the bike.  That's not my idea of fun.  Oh well, at least I can say I've tried it.  I just hope this finger heals fast!  I don't want to miss any riding!

Yamahauler

Jun 9, 1999
Sorry to hear about your finger. I always remove my wedding ring before riding.

Starts are always fun. You should try the GNCC at LL. There is usually ~70 on my line there every year. If you need more saddle time for your money, at least in hare scrambles you can ride 2 hours for $40.

I don't care anything for the AX, but I would like to MX or even TT. Most likely I'll give TT a try this summer. There is a pretty good circuit put on locally. They have a trail riders class too, or they did at one time. Problem is you still have that race and wait issue.

Gates

Jan 18, 2001
The only time I like MX is practice days. You can ride all day for 10 bucks. I have done the AX and MX but my heart is in the HS's.

James

Jaybird

Apprentice Goon
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 16, 2001
Charlestown, IN
Sorry to hear about your bad luck, Corey.
AX is not a very good place to get the most bang for your buck, that's for sure.

Top Bottom