HEGOTRIDE

Jan 8, 2001
i have been ridding my new cr125. im getting used to the clutch (coming from and xr100) and my arm and hand get so tired that i have a lot of trouble pulling it in. does anyone know of mods for the bike or excersizes for that area? thanks.

BillyWho

Sir-Breaks-Alot
Mar 22, 2001
That's an age old problem that even the pros deal with.Not much helps but to ride as much as possible and stretch your forearms all the time(off the bike ofcourse) by trying to bend all your fingers at the same time the wrong way:scream: .

Okiewan

Admin
Dec 31, 1969
Texas
Welcome to the world of arm pumpitis. I hate to admit it, but the only thing that has helped at all is taking an Alieve before I ride and lots of water. Of course, I'm old. :think

And BTW, 2-Strokes have nothing to do with it.

roostinbe

Mar 22, 2001
You do have ways around arm pump. A lot of it just depends on devotion to riding. If you are into it enough, you might start working out. I used to pump up big time, but as i started getting faster, i decided that even though, im still young and growing, i can still do some working out... I recommend lots of curls, the will serve you well. Also, keep your clutch system well lubricated, that will make your pull a lot easier. The more you ride the less should get it. ( that is if you practice good riding posture, and handle bar grip.) Just try to ride loose. If you start and ride until you pump up, then take a brake, and let them loosen up, you will fair a lot better for the rest of the ride. TTR... You obviously don't ride that bike of yours very hard.

xrsforever

Nov 2, 2000
I just started riding again 8 months ago. After 4 months of riding arm pump went away.I still get a numb right hand after a hard ride. Try relaxing when possible during rides/not gripping as hard. Water intake seems to help.

Different bars/and grips seem to help sometimes also.:cool:

MRKRacing125

Oct 24, 2000
Obviously you dont know me do you? Ask MoO_Cow how I ride and then say something too me about arm pump:p And as for 2-strokes giving you arm pump, I have riden my bike for over a year now and havent gotten in, but the other week rode MoO's 125 and I got arm pump like know other! So before you say anything about me or my riding abilitys, maybe you should think before you type! just my .02 cents :think

S

Saratoga

Try not using the clutch on down shifts. On a 125 you probably need to use it often on upshifts. Learn to downshift with no cluth use. Save that arm.

MX Madman

Oct 7, 2000
Lots of water helps,but ithink gripping the bike with ankles/knees does the most good.It takes some of the strain off your arms.Also try to relaxe as much as possible.Loosen your grip while in the air if you have a chance Just a second of holding the bars with the fingertips can make a big differance for me.

Okiewan

Admin
Dec 31, 1969
Texas
Originally posted by TT-R
Obviously you dont know me do you? Ask MoO_Cow how I ride and then say something too me about arm pump:p And as for 2-strokes giving you arm pump, I have riden my bike for over a year now and havent gotten in, but the other week rode MoO's 125 and I got arm pump like know other! So before you say anything about me or my riding abilitys, maybe you should think before you type! just my .02 cents :think

A little knowledge for ya youngster:
The number one cause of arm pump comes from the death grip. Death grip is associated with nerves, how tense you are, the lack of being comfortable and loose. When people comment that the more they ride, the less pump they get. Why? Because they get more comfortable on the bike.

Is your TTR a 125? Going from that to a 125 MX bike didn't make you nervous? Tell ya what, ride a 426 and tell me you won't get arm pump. Last I checked a 426 is not a 2-stroke.

What is at issue here is the statement that 2-stokes cause arm pump. That's just not the case.

WoodsRider

Sponsoring Member<BR>Club Moderator
Damn Yankees
Oct 13, 1999
Originally posted by Okiewan
What is at issue here is the statement that 2-stokes cause arm pump. That's just not the case.

Bingo!

TT-R - You're a spode... like the rest of us! I have ridden both 2 and 4 strokes and dealt with arm pump on both machines. In fact my XR250 was worse than either my KDX or my GasGas when it came to arm pump.

Last edited:

Pumpkinhead

Mar 6, 2001
Last year I was ridng an XR-400 and my arm pump was much more severe than with my 300 MXC.

2-strokes don't cause arm pump. I think it has to do with how hard you are hanging on to the bike more than anything else. It always seemed like I was trying to wrestle the XR through the woods.:think

HAzE

Uhhh...
Dec 29, 2000
Arm pump.....

TT-R, the reason why you got arm pump on that guys 125 was because you were used to your steady power on your 4 stroke.... and when you get on the 2 stroke the power just hits, and your yanked backwards, so your hanging on for dear life... which causes the arm pump. I've never gotten arm pump before... I've been riding my kx125 for about 2 months now. And wensday was the first time I've gotten arm pump. Usually I'm all relaxed and breathing. But this time, I crashed kind of bad on a table top. You can read about the crash in general disscusion, thread name KICKESR! After I crashed I got arm pump! I guess it was because I was scared and was hanging on for dear life. About shifting with the clutch on your 125. I've talked to many pro riders that I know. They said when you're riding and you're hard on the gas, just let off, and shift. They said it's much easier, and it doesn't wear out your tranny. They said as long as you let off it takes stress off of it. This is also true about down shifting. Later.

Last edited by a moderator:
Dec 3, 2000
how very very true. it all related to how use to the bike u are. The first time i got my kdx i was scare of it makeing me hang on really really hard. Have had it about 3 months now and haven't had arm pump in a while. Don't hang on so tight, relax and don't be so tense. Some things that i have tried is chew gum to help take you mind off of it or eat a banna before u go riding. The banna is very rich in potassium wich help out with cramps and arm pump. :)
hope this helps

SPD

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 20, 2001
I take breaks from time to time and laydown along the trail. Some people call it falling but I;m really just take a little rest break.;)

nikki

Moto Junkie
Apr 21, 2000
Banana

Yeah - I've heard the banana thing before too...

I've realized that I get arm pump on very few tracks... (only get it real bad at one - Wapella, IL) and the reason that I came up with is because I'm holding on so tight and fighting to get through the flat and semi-rough 180 degree non-bermed corners (most of which are also off-camber).

I've also heard that a little bit of beer thins your blood and helps :eek: ... I've also head of the Alieve thing too... although I've never tried either.

MRKRacing125

Oct 24, 2000
The reason I said that 2-strokes cause more arm pump, was simply for the matter that I know that 2-stroke vibrate a whole lot more than a 4-stroke, but I cant say anything about a 426 tho! That was what I was trying to say. Because of the death grip and the vibrations of a 2-stroke engine, it causes fatigue faster. Wasnt trying to put down 2-strokes or anything because I too here in 2 or 3 months will be a 2-stroker getting arm pump from the death grip :p

nikki

Moto Junkie
Apr 21, 2000
TTR - 2-strokes vibrate more than 4-strokes???

You REALLY need to take a spin on a 426... THEN say that again. You twist the throttle, it goes "vvvrrrooommmm", and the bolts fall out!! :confused:

HEGOTRIDE

Jan 8, 2001
thanks for all the help, i think ill try the beer thing, haha. and what ttr said, he CANT say anything about a 426. thanks again.

MRKRacing125

Oct 24, 2000
I cant say anything about a 426 because I havent ever riden one, so! If it vibrates more than a 2-stroke, then thats alot of vibration, I have only riden my tt-r250 and MoO_Cows cr125 and HEGOTRIDE's cr125

KTMster

Mar 27, 2001
I too have recently been experiencing arm pump and the thing about hanging on too tight would make sense for me since I just went from a Yamaha TTR225 to a KTM M/XC 400. I'm still getting used to all the power it has--and lovin' every minute. :p

A girl I went riding with this weekend who is a much better rider than I am told me that it is because I am putting too much pressure or weight on the handlebars. Has anyone heard of that being a possible cause also?

Zoomer

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 17, 2000
Something that you could try for your arm pump: tie a weight to a broom handle with a 3 foot rope, wind the weight up and down. Guaranteed to work your forearms! I ride yz400f, I get arm pump, more the less I ride (as in the more time in between rides). Believe it or not, the biggest improvement I did for arm pump, was to install a set of pro-tapers, also make sure the suspension is set as soft as possible for the track (or condition). Also loose grip (tennis grip) on the bars is a big help.:D

Last edited:

KTMster

Mar 27, 2001
Originally posted by Michael Zimmerman
Something that you could try for your arm pump: tie a weight to a broom handle with a 3 foot rope, wind the weight up and down. Guaranteed to work your forearms!

Wow, I completely forgot about the broom handle exercise. When I broke my wrist earlier this year that is exactly what the physical therapist had me doing & it is a definite killer on the forearms.:eek:

JPrelude

Apr 17, 2000
I just started racing hare scrambles recently. Try dealing with arm pump for 1 1/2 hours. It's not fun at all. I've learned that foremost I need to stay relaxed. Also the tip about holding the bike with your legs more is right on as well. I have nasty scrapes on the insides of my knees from this last weekends race. As others have said, you have to ride quite a bit to alleviate arm pump which translates into becoming more loose and comfortable on the bike.

Top Bottom