John Harding

Jun 8, 2005
Hi all,

Great forum.

One of the guys on my local South African motorcross list pointed out to me that there was a discussion taking place about Int. Motorcycle Brokers and then later Ash's Motorcycle brokers on your forum.

What I can tell you is that I bought a bike from Ash's in March this year, I wired funds into his account on 03/03/05 to be exact. From the moment I had transferred funds to this guy it suddenly became impossible to get hold of him. Their phones were never once answered when I tried to phone, and it took weeks, if at all to get a response to my e-mails.

To cut a long story short, after two months of frustration and waiting for my bike I finally got it (to be fair most of that time was shipping).
The Yamaha box arrived with the words '04 Demo on it, and when I opened it I found that the bike had been used. There were scratches and scuff marks on all the plastics and the engine cover.
In fact there was even a price tag on it from when it stood on a showroom floor that clearly said 'demo' on it. Now the invoice that I used to pay clearly states that the bike has never contained gas or oil, which according to me would lead any reasonable man to assume that he was buying a new bike.

I contacted Ash via e-mail immediately when I got my bike, but for weeks he did not respond or acknowledge. Only yesterday, when I put an account of my experiences on my local mx e-mail list did he suddenly respond. His side of the story was that as a rule they unpack the bike and 'test' it to check that it is ok. Well I can tell you that the odo said 190 (so that's the minimum that it's done) on it which to me is a lot of testing. Aside from that, surely if you're 'testing' a bike that you know has been sold you would be carefull not to scratch it - this bike even came with some courtesy mud on it to assure me that the previous person had really enjoyed my bike.
The 'testing' excuse also doesn't explain how the box and the price tag said 'demo' on it.

Operating over such a long distance it is just not feasible for me to try and pursue this legally, what I can do however is to warn others so they don't get conned the way I did.

regards from Sunny, Friendly South Africa.

John

Top Bottom