Science

Nov 27, 2001
Billy,

I have an '01 Cell that I've been wearing on my good knee (CTI2 on the other one w/torn ACL). I've never sent it back for a refurb, but have upgraded cables etc as you have provided. My question is, if I send it for a refurb will I get the new style straps/knee cup etc?
Thanks!

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
I was wondering the same thing. I'd like to get mine refurbed as well.

Okiewan

Admin
Dec 31, 1969
Texas
Give them a call....

Smit-Dog

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 28, 2001
Anybody have a phone number for Asterisk?

Their web site has been down for a few weeks pending an overhaul.

My cables are completely frayed and loose, and there is a lot of side-to-side free-play between the upper and lower sections. Time for a refurb (if reasonable) or new braces.

Smit-Dog

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 28, 2001
Found contact info...

(800) 459-2999
(949) 609-0099

Asterisk
26814 Vista Terrace
Lake Forest, CA 92630

Here's the process:

1) Call Asterisk
2) Obtain an RA (repair authorization) number
3) Send in your braces
4) Tech evaluates condition, what needs replacing, calls you with estimate
5) Refurb charge may be up to a max of $150, depending on what needs to be replaced. This max amount would include replacing everything except the red frame.
6) Turn-around time is 3-4 days once braces are received by Asterisk

oldguy

Always Broken
Dec 26, 1999
The red carbon fiber parts were $75 each if needed. Spiders last pair went in for refurb before we sold them and 3 of 4 red parts were cracked. Instead of just replacing them Asterisk sent us a brand new pair for the $300. The guy that bought em got a great deal as we agreed he would get them for whatever the refurb cost.

Smit-Dog

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 28, 2001
Follow-up....

- Shipped braces via FedEx 8/22; Asterisk received them on 8/29. Shipping cost $8.46 (includes insurance) This is Michigan to California.

- Left message on 8/30 asking for status, got a call back on 8/31 indicating refurb cost would be $150

- Asterisk shipped braces via UPS on 8/31, received them on 9/7. Shipping cost $16 ( :| )

I didn't realize just how bad my braces were until I got the refurbed ones back. Prior to the refurb, there was a lot of side-to-side freeplay, more pronounced at a 90° angle, but still quite a bit in the fully extended position. Now they are tight side-to-side with zero freeplay / slop. My cables were also completely frayed/cut on one side.

I've noticed that the new locking snaps/tabs are harder to snap in and to release. Maybe they will be smoother once broken in a little.

I also need to redo the mod of skipping the bottom lacing on the top straps (http://www.dirtrider.net/forums3/showthread.php?t=83478). I've been wearing the braces all season, and never had any chaffing, even after the first (75+) mile ride of the season. After one ride with the refurbed braces and stock lacing, the backs of my knees were bleeding raw. I'd have a very tough time wearing them 2 days in a row. I can't believe how much of a difference this makes in terms of comfort. And yes, I wear the under-sleeves.

Overall I'm very happy with the like-new condition the Cells are now in... should be good for another 3 years. BUT... at $175 (total cost) every 3 years, it is a bit pricey considering the original cost of the braces. Still... a bargain compared to an MRI and surgery!

Top Bottom