Supafly_MX

Apr 12, 2004
Hi there whats the difference between ordinary ATF and the Type F ????

At the moment i am using Valvoline ATF Dexron III which is not a Type F . Is it safe to use on my cr125 ?????

Cheers

Supafly_MX

Studboy

Thinks he can ride
Dec 2, 2001
The only problem that I can think of you having is possible clutch slippage.
Do a search for "ATF in transmission"
Or, there is a good thread down in the archived tech articles about Type F.

matt-itude

Jul 6, 2004
what i can tell you on the mercron/dexron versus the type F is in automotive applications the friction modifiers in the dexron are slicker than the type F. example when I was younger and racing cars a cheap shift kit on the cars using mercron/dexron fluids was to service the trans using type F and it would noticably firm the shifts to the point some cars could get a little wheel spin on the shifts. however if you used the mercron/dexron in the type F trans it would slip and burn the clutches out.

jboomer

~SPONSOR~
Jan 5, 2002
I had an '01 KX250 and always ran the cheapest Type F I could buy at WalMart. I changed it every two weeks (every 2-4 rides) and never had problems. I had the bike for 3 years and never needed to replace the clutch (although I wasn't prone to abusing it either). I think the opinions bounce back and forth between which of the two you should run....probably best to read the recommended threads and make a decision off of what you learn.

Peer Lovell

Nov 25, 1999
Type F is for older Fords and doesn't have the friction modifiers. I have a '98 CR250 that I've ridden the crap out of. You can't tell the bike's performance from new. I change the fluid EVERY ride and have had only one bottom end and one clutch.

Bullwinkle58

Apr 23, 2004
If you run ATF, make sure it is "ATF Type F." I think it says on the bottle that it is "approved for wet clutch applications." It is a lot cheaper than motorcycle specific trans oil, so I would change it more often, just to be safe.

Top Bottom