dthoms

Oct 6, 2002
I don't understand why you wouldn't want to use a product that is made specifically for the intended purpose? Is it because ATF is Cheap? I disagree with using automotive, or even worse aviation oils in motorcycle transmissions. The don't have the same additives and will not do as good of a job, in the long run and in some case even the short run. If the proper products weren't available I would subsitute gear oil before ATF.

JTT

~SPONSOR~
Aug 25, 2000
Used it for several years...works fine...better in some than others though...seems to depend on individual bike to some degree. The key to any gearbox lube is to change frequently...this will make more difference in protection than all the "intended purpose" oils going.

UKcr125rider

Apr 28, 2002
The manual calls for car engine oil which i thought was weird. I currently use Silkolene lite gear oil and have in my old bikes. But the '03 Cr doesn't like it as well as the others. Thats why i'm gonna try somethin different. I've got Rock Oil GRO in and ready to try, but my Dad uses ATF type F for other stuff, and it is sitting in the garage in 25 liter drums, and bonus. It is free!!

JTT

~SPONSOR~
Aug 25, 2000
At that rate, use it and change it after each ride (no joke, I change mine after every two rides). See what it feels like and go from there, you may not like it, but then again, you might.

Rcannon

~SPONSOR~
Nov 17, 2001
Guys, would you advise trying this if there is no obvious reason to do so?

I would love to try it in my YZ, bu tI have had no reason to not use the Yamaha 10-30 oil.

Chili

Lifetime Sponsor - Photog Moderator
Apr 9, 2002
Originally posted by Rcannon
Guys, would you advise trying this if there is no obvious reason to do so?

If your happy with what your running then I see no reason to switch.  We are running Type F ATF in my son's race bike and have been pleased with the performance.  I still run plain old 10-40 in my Old Zuki with out complaint either.

Bottom line is whatever you use change it frequently.

marcusgunby

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 9, 2000
I too noticed the CR doesnt shift nice with expensive synthetic oils-works best with my mix;)Ran ATF F in Ricky Higgs KTMs for a season-no gearbox or clutch problems.

Jaybird

Apprentice Goon
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 16, 2001
Charlestown, IN
One reason is to consolidate your fluids. I use straight TypeF ATF in my tranny, shocks, and juice clutch. Works great in everything. It's also great on toast!

Y'all just go ahead and keep buying that expensive stuff. :)

Question: Does anyone think that bike MFG's do extensive studies to see what fluid is the absolute optimal performing fluid for their bikes....OR...are their recommendations due to a money deal? Hmmmm????:)

Last edited:

Peer Lovell

Nov 25, 1999
I have been using ATF, type F for four years. I used to use Bel Ray, gear saver, but, for some reason I was convinced I was getting ripped off. I am only on my second clutch and still the original clutch basket.

luvtolean

Oct 3, 2002
FYI, the internals of a auto tranny are full clutch packs (which are very similar to an MC clutch) and planetary gears, it doesn't surprise me Type F works well. Many manual gearboxes, like my T5 use it as well. This tells me that Type F is fine for lubrication in gearsets too. I think I'll start using it instead of Rock Oil after my next ride, might just save me a few $, and I can buy it at the auto parts store when I get my MX2T. :)

Studboy

Thinks he can ride
Dec 2, 2001
Type F works great in my KX. I have tried many different oils and I found that the expensive oils such as Maxima clutchtuner did not work (shift or clutch feel) as well as Type F or just 10w-40 Mobil. Another great choice is 15-50 Mobil 1 (Red Cap). But whatever you use, change it every ride or two. :)

Faded

~SPONSOR~
Jan 7, 2003
I've ran type F ATF with good results too. The only time I've ever experienced a problems is high heat, high load, high abuse conditions....like the sand dunes. Under these conditions a motorcycle specific trans fluid with a lil heavier weight seems to hold up better.

Like everyone else said though, change it often. On hot days at the dunes we'll change gear oil (those that run ATF) in the middle of the day when we come back from lunch. At $1/qt or so for ATF it's not going to break the bank.

Studboy

Thinks he can ride
Dec 2, 2001
Yeah, at the sand dunes in the summer I do run 20w-50 mobil oil sometimes just because it makes me feel good. I run ATF the rest of the time usually, except for right now I'm trying 10-40 Mobil and it has worked great also. The ATF may have shifted a bit better however. Whenever I pulled out the ATF it had never looked burned though, so as long as you're not getting burned oil you should be fine. If it is burned after one day, switch to something thicker.

DEANSFASTWAY

LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 16, 2002
You know a shop out by me got in trouble when they told some kid to put Dexron in his XR 100 and the motor didnt like it . The kid at the parts counter didnt know about 4 strokes .

whyz

~SPONSOR~
Nov 18, 2001
What is ATF type F with mercon III or Dextron or something?

There's 3 different ones that just doesn't say ATF type F.

Are those other ones junk or can a person use them?

And Marcus why is it that you mix yours??
Just an opinion please thats all.
Thank You.

marcusgunby

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 9, 2000
Type F is the old ford spec.Be carefull using other types.Ive heard they will cause clutch slipping.

My mix came about by using 15W40 car oil and not liking the clutch or shifting(i have 15 litres of it) and i know ATF F works well in winter but ddint seem to work nice when its warm.So i decided to mix the 2 and it worked well-shifted well and nice clutch feel.In winter i may use straight ATF F again depending on how it feels.However my KX shifts better from new than the cr did after a seasons use so i feel less need to try stuff.On last seasons CR(2001) i polished the whole shifter assembly-made only a small difference.

UKcr125rider

Apr 28, 2002
Marcus, i was in the motor factors today and was looking at the ATF. Most had mercon or dexron in them so i stayed clear as lots have people have told me too. Then i eyed this AQF stuff. As u are from the UK, you might have heard of Comma lubricants? Well this AQF is made by them. It meets all the Ford/borg warner transmission specs, like all the other ATF type F's. I think Type F was produced for this application from what i can make out. So, I bought a liter to try it. 3.00 for the liter and i think the guy said 5 litres was 7 quid? im 99% sure it's the stuff i've been looking for. I thought i had a free stash of ATF in the garage,but it was the dexron stuff. Boohoo

Top Bottom