WoodsWarrior

Nov 11, 2001
I have searched the net for a review on the 1991 ATK 406 with no luck anywhere. I figured this might be the best place to ask!
Does anyone have any experience with this bike?
What are its strong points and/or weak points?
I have found one in pretty good shape for very cheap....but I don't know anything about them, and it sure is a wierd looking ride!
Any help would be appreciated!

Dirty Dave

Sponsoring Member
Jul 31, 1999
The ATK 406 was touted to be an excellent woods bike because of it short wheel base (tight trails), steep steering head angle(tight trails) and a motor with alot of grunt and very wide power band(tight trails). The downside of all this trail savy design... a very scarey ride "at speed"(WFO). The frame geometry also lent itself to tight MX tracks but the torquey motor/short wheel base tended to force one to ride most of the straights attached :eek: to the gas cap.
Its odd look is like a screwy lookin' haircut... if it fits you and YOUR style, go for it :confused:

weimedog

~SPONSOR~
Damn Yankees
Nov 21, 2000
I have an orphan ATK 406 in my garage. Its pretty clapped out but even though the haze of age there are some good qualities. Its very good at the tight stuff. For a bike as heavy as it is it turns well in the tight trails around here. It doesn't feel as heavy as it is. The motor is really nice for trail riding. Good bottom end and heavy flywheel effect combine to make it very nice in the tight woods around my place. Great on the hills as well.

The rear suspension stinks. Too tall. Too harsh for my tastes...and I like a stiffer than usual suspension setup. The forks are OK for that time period.

I like the High air filter for the wet stuff.

Cluncky gear box.

Parts are still available.

It has that goofy A-Tak thing with the disc brake on the motor. That brake is wore out but works. The floating front brake rattles around and I just can't get used to the look of that floating disc.

Starts easy for a big bore. Vibrates like one as well. Has those Mikuni flat slide carbs that I never had good luck with.

Problem is no one in my house wants to adopt it so it just sits.:silly:

ATK ADAM

Sep 22, 1999
I have a 94 406 which has a rear wheel disc and no A-trak. I almost sold it a year ago after having ridden it a year. Man am I glad I didn't sell it. I moved from So. Cal. to Arizona and the bike is perfect out here. It was fine for CA. too but we mostly rode on jeep roads and forest road out there. Now we ride a lot of singletrack, washes, and not at many roads.

My suspension is awesome. Very plush in the slow stuff or just dial it up for faster stuff. Head shake isn't a problem at all. It may not turn like a cr but it works great for my riding style.

I really like the motor too. It's got great low to midrange. Top end is a bit week but I don't need much top end for the type of riding I do. I've got the Mikuni carb dialed in really well-it took a year but I did it-and is one of the reasons I decided not to sell the bike. About the only complaint I have on the motor is the vibration. What the heck, I'll live with a little vibration if I don't have to change water pump seals. ;)

Dave, I'm not sure how heavy your bike is but mine is lighter than a KDX200. I used a bathroom scale to compare my 406 to my wife's 92 KDX. Both bikes had oil in the crankcase and full tanks of fuel-4 gal. for the 406 and 3 for the KDX. The 406 was about 2 lbs lighter and both were in the 250 lbs range.

I'll be keeping mine for quite awhile yet.

Adam

Hamroll

Nov 21, 2001
Had an '89 406 I sold about 3 years ago. Short wheelbase/torque motor made for some interesting hill climbs. Rear brake was a pain in the behind. Overheated and would lock-up. I would pour enduro jug water on it to free it up. I installed a drilled rotor which helped although didn't completely eliminate the problem. I installed KX footpegs with a Scotts Performance adapter kit, the stock pegs are tiny. I also adapted a CR clutch lever to aid in the stiff clutch blues. Had to go through the trans, parts were very expensive. Be careful of the combination shaft for the kickstarter/shifter. That was a pricey piece. Bought mine used for $800.00 in 1995, sold it for $1800.00 in 1998. Other than being a "******* Step Child", parts from every continent the bike was fast, handled great and was a blast. Dead even with my buddies new-at-the-time YZ 250. Good luck.

weimedog

~SPONSOR~
Damn Yankees
Nov 21, 2000
On those old 406's there were no real head gaskets, just a stack of three shims between the head and the barrel. By taking out a shim or two your could raise the compression and get more powwwwer...along with RACE GAS. One shim. Race gas. Two shims. Race gas and careful ignition timing. I never tried 3 shims out. I think that would be too high compression.:)

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom