fmfkx125372

Feb 1, 2001
I need some help on the attack position. When I am standing up, I find it tough to accelerate hard with this 250. I feel that I need to sit down to get a hard charge when I am trying to catch someone and I know that isn't right. The track we were at yesteray was incredibly choppy, and there was no way I could sit down and charge. It has to be my technique, there are some small guys in the 250 class that charge like anything. Look at Ricky, how the heck does he stay on that bike?!? It feels like the bike is going to pull out of my hands when I stand up. I am 6'3, and I try to grip with my knees, but they are above the bike, so I don't get the best grip sometimes. I feel that maybe I am too upright. So I was hoping some of you guys out there can give me some details on the correct attack position...

Nick

xtreme73

Mar 17, 2002
290023-2-med.jpg

290025-2-med.jpg

I'm about 6'1" and this is my attack position. I hope this helps.

Last edited:

NJ-DirtRdr

May 2, 2001
I had a similar problem when I first got my bike--a KDX200. Now, I know it's not your 250, but it is a pretty quick bike when set up properly. I used to get so tired just holding on. On top of that, I felt I had very little throttle control when hard on the gas. I heard about gripping the bike with your knees, and tried it one day. Boy does it make a difference! It allows me to separate throttle operation from holding on, which allows me better control and less fatigue at the same time.

I went one step further and bought some hi-grip clear grip tape from DK and put it everywhere my legs touch: gas tank, side number plates, and even the frame. As an added bonus, if you paint the frame just before you apply the grip tape, it will stay bright and won't rub off (because it's under the clear tape). The only drawback to this technique is that the grip tape eats your pants. If I were to do it again, I'd use a medium grip instead of the more abrasive high grip. Also, it has a tendency to trap dirt unless you use a bristle brush and patience. Very effective, however.
--Tim

LWilson250

Jan 1, 2001
Well you are tall... But that shouldn't keep you from gripping with your legs. Most people try to squeeze in with their legs, it works for some, but I think it takes to much energy. The other way to grip the bike is to push out on the pegs with your feet. Make sure you have a good firm hold on the pegs and push out, this will in turn force your legs in and grip the bike. I feel much better attacking a jump or whoops when doing this. I feel more planted on the bike and am able to get on the gas harder.

You might also want to rotate your bars foward. The further foward the bars are the more weight you put on the front wheel. Granted I am only 6'0" but it works for me. What do you have to lose by trying it.

Lee W.

Jeff Gilbert

N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 20, 2000
I think xtreme73 has the right idea, notice the bad posture technique he has. In riding, bad posture is good, I have a hard time with it myself.

trivial

Feb 14, 2002
Hmmm... It also sounds like you may be a candidate for some new bars and a top triple clamp. I am a tall guy (6'6") and have both of these items on order (with luck they should be in tommorow). With higher bars and a new clamp (or just mounts) you can move your bars forward and up, making for a less crowded cockpit and a more natural "attack position" as you will not have to hunch over as far...this along with gripping with your legs (in my humble opinion) should make a world of difference.

xtreme73

Mar 17, 2002
With my new Cr I put on Renthal Jimmy Button bend bars. They have a rise of 85mm. You can go up to 112mm. On the Kx I had 55 and the new higher bend makes such a huge difference with getting a roomy cockpit and getting a better riding position. Gripping with you knees really makes a huge difference everywhere. You and the bike become one and you control the bike, not the other way around. Having knee guards on helps with gripping. Just practice, even thought it may seen weird and maybe tiring at first.

Yz426King

Aug 18, 2001
Is there a downside to using grip tape on the tank and other places? Besides eating the hell out of pants. I also find that my knees come above the seat and it is difficult to squeese. Does anyone else's knees hurt from those two big holes in the radiator shrouds on 2001 and older yz's/2002 and older yzf's. My knee cap tends to stick right were the edge is. Any ideas for that

xtreme73

Mar 17, 2002
get knee guards. My fox pivots have rubber pads on the sides of the tank for grip. My only other suggestion is lower foot pegs. I hate grip tape, but thats me

fmfkx125372

Feb 1, 2001
LWilson,

Your technique sounds pretty interesting. I am gonna try that next weekend. (Reserves tends to get in the way sometimes!) I knew about gripping with my knees, but with my knees above the seat, I don't get much leverage. I am pretty much grabbing the bike with my shins.

I have the Tag Cr double hi bars and they are great. I am actually looking for new clamps to move them forward. I am also looking at the new Fastway F4 lowboy pegs. They are 1/2 inch lower and back than stock....

High Lord Gomer

Poked with Sticks
Sep 26, 1999
Something else to consider is your body position and when you get there. The more you ride the more you will anticipate what the bike will do and you can position yourself properly beforehand. If you know you're going to be on the gas hard, you should stand up and get way forward as (or even before) you apply the throttle. Instead of hanging on in reaction to the bike trying to run out from under you, you can put yourself in a position to allow you maximum throttle with minimum effort.

You probably already do the reverse when braking. You don't hit the brake and then try to lean/move back as it throws you toward the bars, you shift your weight back in anticipation of braking.

Please let me know if this helps.

Top Bottom