ATV Storage

bigboss

Jun 19, 2001
Hello everyone. I have a somewhat strange question. I hope I'm in the right area of this forum.
Currently I'm storing 7 motorcycles and two full size ATV's. I'm running out of space and obviously the two ATV's are the ones taking up most of the space.
Now I have seen riders put their ATV's on the rear 'skid bar' to wash underneath and then bringing it back down without any apparent immediate negative effects. I guess you can feel the question already. Can I store ATV's (4 stroke) on their skid bar for prolonged periods (assuming fuel tank not overflowing) and will this have any negative effect on brake fluid, engine oil, coolant? Or am I simply :coocoo: ?
Unfortunately getting rid of some bikes is not an option right now. They are used almost every weekend by friends and family. So your constructive opinion is appreciated.
Thanks
Marc

rmc_olderthandirt

~SPONSOR~
Apr 18, 2006
I tip my quads up so that it is resting on the rear grab handle and rear wheels. I have to make sure the gas tank is mostly empty otherwise gas is forced out the vent hose. I even transport the quads this way, then I can get two quads and two bikes in the back of my pickup!

Been doing it for years, no problems.

rod

JWW

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Apr 13, 2000
Used to store my dads 250X on its rear for months at a time with no issues. Only problem we ever had was when a tire went flat and it fell over.

sick 96 250

Damn Yankees
Jul 16, 2004
what kind of ATV's are they? I had a Polaris Predator for a little and it had an oil vent tube going to the airbox, well tipped up I lost a lot of oil and made a huge mess. My banshee and 250r fourtrax have no problems though.

bigboss

Jun 19, 2001
Thanks for the info guys. I have a 2008 honda trx450 and a 2007 yamaha 450. I'll just make sure that the fuel tanks are not too full and watch for oil leaks first time around. Thanks for the tip on the flat tire!! That makes a lot of sense.

Thanks

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…