ellandoh

dismount art student
~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Aug 29, 2004
i just changed the water pump on a clarklift cmp30 forklift which involves tearing everything off the front of the motor to remove the timing belt cover and then the belt comes off to get the pump out. well now it wont start. the question is if one of the gears came out of sync is there any way my timing light still would be showing the thing is still in time?? what else could i have done to this thing? i know the cam and crankshaft didnt move but the oil pump gear might have, does it control something besides the oil pump?

ps it is a propane model with a 2.0l SOHC mitsubishi motor

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
Any chance you are 180 degrees off? Had an old 440 MOPAR and it seems it was a pretty common issue if you followed the book to have the timing off by 180 after reinstalling the distributor. Check you trigger pickup maybe it's unplugged, covered in crud, not aligned....

ellandoh

dismount art student
~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Aug 29, 2004
Patman said:
Any chance you are 180 degrees off? Had an old 440 MOPAR and it seems it was a pretty common issue if you followed the book to have the timing off by 180 after reinstalling the distributor. Check you trigger pickup maybe it's unplugged, covered in crud, not aligned....

one thing that didnt come off was the ignition :bang:

mideastrider

~SPONSOR~
Jul 8, 2006
I know nothing about your particular engine. But I do no on some engines the distributor and oil pump share the same drive gear. If this is the case with your engine the distributor could be out of time. Just a thought.

ellandoh

dismount art student
~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Aug 29, 2004
mideastrider said:
I know nothing about your particular engine. But I do no on some engines the distributor and oil pump share the same drive gear. If this is the case with your engine the distributor could be out of time. Just a thought.
the timing light is showing good though...is that possible?

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
Is it a distributor or crank driven ignition? If it's distributorless then check your pickup, maybe you didn't remove it but it could still have some issue keeping it from picking up. If it's a distributor well mark where it is then jack around with it's position and see if you get some fire.

ellandoh

dismount art student
~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Aug 29, 2004
maybe this jog a memory??

Attachments

• Image0204[1].JPG
    Image0204[1].JPG
    29 KB · Views: 76

ellandoh

dismount art student
~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Aug 29, 2004
possibly solved, will know tomorrow when i get back at it. but i have found out the hard way that when the belt is off the camshaft is under tension from the valve springs and can move WHILE YOUR NOT LOOKING. My problem now is I found the timing marks and markers for the oil pump and crankshaft but the camshaft only has a little dimple in it that may or may not be what i consider a timing mark and I can find NOTHING that resembles a marker to line it up with. My only guess is it is supposed to be pointed due north but that is risky to forego with a guess as this is an interference motor

Uchytil

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 29, 2003
I would get the manual and check the procedure for replacing the timing belt. I've done a bunch and all of the motors, whether car, lift, or outboard, have specific markings, the belt themselves usually do also or you mark them with a paint marker prior to removal.

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
I always try to have things lined up per the diagram BEFORE taking things apart. That way I understand how it is supposed to go back together before I make a mess of things. A paint pen is also handy if you don't have specific directions available so you can make your own reference marks. Glad it looks like ya' figured it out.

Grady

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 19, 2000
A timing light will only help you determine TDC, you could be on the wrong TDC. As Pantsless Pat mentioned, and I don't know if is is relevant, but a way to tell if you are 180 degrees off is to crank the motor by hand, until the intake valve opens on #1 cyl, then closes, then, the next TDC mark will be the one that the lines up with ignition firing (of course there will be some degree of advance, but it will be close).

Top Bottom