Michelle

Sponsoring Member
Oct 26, 1999
A few years ago (it would be 3), we went to a farm ride south of us. All I remember from this ride is that we'd met up with some people we sort of knew, there was a steep-ass downhill where we'd met up with someone just at the top & he'd worked out he had no brakes (not a good idea) and that a couple of people had been airlifted out (broken back & something else, memory fails me). I was on my YZ80 & Henk banned me from going out on my own.

I'm suffering pretty bad insomnia at the moment (and when I sleep I'm having nightmares about all sorts of wierd things) and last night was no different. So after about 3 hours sleep, it was time to get up & get moving. We stopped off along the way for breakfast (CJ, remember the bacon & egg place - they don't take nearly so long these days) & some gas & kept on truckin'.

Finally we arrive at the ride, hmm, this is the one from 3 years ago (the club down there runs a series of 4-6 so we weren't sure where we were going). Oh yay, this is going to be fun, I so love downhills. After signing us on, I went & told Henk to go out without me & I'd wait for him to come back. I later spotted some friends, so told Henk to get his a into g & he could ride with them.

I stood around for a while, just looking & listening & then the guys parked next to us came in, so asked them about the downhills & trails in general. Ah well, I'm ready, I'm gone. After a very short period, I worked out I'd left my camelback at the car, but as it was one-way traffic with no going backwards on the trails, I had to live with it (which I thought was going to be no big deal).

This was a fun farmland ride, with no flat ground to be seen. First off you headed up & up & up (now, wouldn't you start thinking that sooner or later you're going to have to go back down - I didn't). The first downhill was through a paddock with rocks off to the side, which reminded me of stonehenge. Really cool. Because the grass was slippery, my back kept coming to greet the front, so off with the brakes, lock 'em up, off again, lock 'em etc etc.

I was having a huge time until I came to some tree roots. These were like nothing I've ever seen before in my life - a couple of hundred metres worth and fat. I spotted a line through them so went to change course, and promptly stuffed it up, blocking that line for those behind me - most were cool about it, a couple just went another way & gone. I took some photos on my 2nd loop, but will have to develop them (and finish the film I think). At this point I missed my camelback, as it would've been a good opportunity to have a drink.

As I continued on my journey, I kept looking at the scenery, it was awesome with views of the sea & harbour behind, just really neat, but don't get it wrong or you'll either never be found or if you're lucky, someone will see you go over. Eventually I came to the "let's head back" part which meant downhill. Some of it was about 45 degrees plus (I'm no good at maths, but think that'd be about right) with straights heading into nice switchbacks. Shortcuts were not an option. My fun level at this point was low.

Just to confuse me, I came to another uphill section where I went into a corner tight, got my back wheel caught on something, couldn't really touch the ground & dumped it. When I got back on the bike, all she wanted to do was head off down the bank behind me, I felt this wasn't such a good idea & started yelling at her to behave and listen to what I was telling her to do (i.e. stop & start). At this point I was parched, I really needed a drink and my brain was starting to fade out (who said that was impossible?). I looked at the bike trying to figure out where I could get fluids from and decided that petrol was not a viable proposition so looked back to see if anyone I knew was heading my way so I could stop him for a drink. Nope, don't know these guys. Ah well, best continue.

The uphills & downhills continued, with a few creek crossings thrown in for good measure (I'm sure it was to taunt me and had it not have been so close to the car, would've stopped to grab a drink, no matter how dirty the water was). Finally made it back & had a drink - I didn't care what it was, just so long as it was fluid - it was water though. Right, before I go any further, my camelback is being loaded & put by my stuff so I don't forget it again.

After sitting around for a bit (did I mention it was HOT with no breeze), I thought I should load up & go again. Henk came back in at this point, so we had a bit of a yarn and I started heading out but bumped into someone we knew.

Okay, now I'm ready. I kept stopping to take pix & people kept asking me if I was okay. Henk & mates came through at one point where I'd just stuffed up & was about to turn the bike around so I could go the line I wanted to. I watched them go up a hill (with no style nor grace) - Henk told me afterward he was sure he was going to stuff up with me watching. I was wishing I'd got the camera out.

I took some pix of the roots - usually with people going over them, putting them off lol), some views and I can't remember what. Some will be developed & hopefully I'll be able to share some of my day. I didn't take any of the switch back hills, as I didn't want to lose my concentration by stopping & starting.

I was very disappointed with the first loop & started wondering why I was bothering to ride, so the 2nd loop was necessary to get my confidence back up a bit. Oh, on the LAST creek crossing, I was thinking, "wahoo, another creek, I really like these", lost my concentration for long enough to dump it on the slippery uphill past it. Teach me to lose concentration for a minute lol.

I was glad I'd gone out on my ride day after xmas & been practising tight corners, I felt more confident I could do it (even if I stuffed up a couple, but those I watched others do the same lol). All in all, I had a fun day & I'm glad I'm putting some of my ghosts to rest over time. Now if only I could cure the insomnia, it's driving me nuts (and causing a bad sleep pattern).
Michelle - who'll never forget her camelback again

Michelle

Sponsoring Member
Oct 26, 1999
It wasn't a difficult ride, more a "how big are your balls" ride with a couple of technical bits thrown in. You couldn't lose your concentration or it'd hurt a lot.

I felt very alone with no one to ride with and no one to bench-race with but have to admit the guys were all great. They wouldn't have realised I was a female until they stopped to speak to me & make sure I was okay which I did appreciate. One thing I think is great is them yelling "thanks" or waving as they go past me - to any fast riders, it's a nice courtesy that is appreciated by us slower ones. I think there may have been a couple of other women there and would've loved to have seen how they were going, but never got a chance (can't even guarantee they weren't guys lol).

One thing I did forget to mention was my reason for going out on the 2nd loop. We had a friend come riding a few weeks back and he'd had a miserable time (first time in a different forest - we'd convinced him to give it a go & that it wasn't all bad like he'd heard - we both love the place). He'd stopped for a break after the first loop & then went out again. Afterwards, when I was asking him what he thought of the place, he told me that if he hadn't gone out for the 2nd loop, he'd have gone home hating the place & never come back. His words echoed in my head (I didn't hate the place, but hadn't really enjoyed it either) - so I owe him another beer next time I see him ;)

I'm hoping to remember to take some films to be developed tomorrow, but will need to get them put onto CD as I've only got a b&w scanner hooked up here & it's still a couple of weeks till I go back to work (the colour one is a pita to install, so we haven't bothered).

CJ Rider

~SPONSOR~
Apr 3, 2000
Hey, I DO remember the slow bacon & eggs place! Then I remember thinking that this was weird looking bacon. It was actually a nice, thick, generous peice of juicy ham instead of that thin, measly, unsusbstatial stuff we call bacon. It was mmmmm yummy and a great start to a day of riding!

Ya know, just a general comment... You're a LOT braver than me to tackle rides like that basically by yourself; you GO girl!

Michelle

Sponsoring Member
Oct 26, 1999
Ya get used to riding by yourself, and with the way our rides are, there's generally someone to help if need be - so long as you indicate to them that you want help.

An example of this was after I'd taken pix of the tree roots, I forgot to turn my gas back on, so of course on a lovely flat-out open part ran out. It makes the KDX a pig to start and takes quite a few kicks. A guy stopped to ask if I was okay and I just laughed & told him what I'd done. He waited until he saw I had the bike going before heading off himself. Not all guys are this good (and it's not favouritism towards the women, they do it amongst themselves too & I do the same when I see someone in trouble) but enough that you know it's not a problem.

If it's a race, the sweep riders will help you out, unless you need a tow, then you've got to wait till the end (harescramble scenario). Everyone watches out for everyone else - you never know when it's going to be you that needs the help. I just hate asking for help, I feel I should be able to get myself out of any situation I got myself into on my own (not always the case though unfortunately).

Top Bottom