Aww, my power valve isn't working again.

76GMC1500

Uhhh...
Oct 19, 2006
Darn this Honda and it's complicated exhaust valve setup. Usually, the valve quits working in the closed position and after I messed with something. Today, it quit randomly in the half open position. It continued to open fully as the revs increased, but never closed past half. I adjusted it so it would close, but now it wont open past half. It seems I suddenly lost half the travel of my power valve mechanism. I will be pulling the right side cover to inspect the governor tommorow. Anybody have any input? This is the 87 CR 250. The power is just a little hard to control at the moment.

76GMC1500

Uhhh...
Oct 19, 2006
No, the bike is absolutely gutless (it can barely pull 3rd gear) until it reaches the rpm range where the powervalve would normally open and then takes off like a rocket. The powerband hits so hard in 1st and 2nd gear, it's like someone revved the bike up and just dumped the clutch.

76GMC1500

Uhhh...
Oct 19, 2006
I found the problem. The governor operates a small lever mounted on a shaft that operates another lever which positions the rack that operates the power valves. The first lever is held on the shaft with a hitch pin. The hitch pin broke apart. I have found 2 small pieces but cannot account for the rest. I'm going to flush the cases with solvent. If I can't find the rest I'll have to open up the cases again, sigh. The magnetic drain plug caught some. This is a good reason to run one.

Top Bottom