Back in the game...cr250 or xr250 or xr400?

rramsey

Sep 24, 2002
I grew up on 2-strokes. I was away for a few years then came back and bought a cr125. It was fun, but too small. The riding in my area is generally woods, pretty tight and technical. The 125 was fun but really lacked the torque needed for the woods. Looking at the new bikes (2002) I am drawn to the cr250 because the 2-stroke is what's familiar to me. At this point I am not really interested in doing 'top-ends' all the time or most of the other cr maintainence. I know the xr has always been a great reliable bike, but Im not too familiar with their behavior. I think at this point I am leaning towards the XR400 based on its power over the xr250. The CR is my love but I think that its just not the right bike for my current type of riding. How well do the XR400's compete in enduros, harescrambles, etc? I'm looking at taking advantage of the current long-term financing offers so I want a bike that will still be fun in 5 yrs.

Any imput would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

beer_stud_76

Mod Ban
Aug 30, 2002
rramsey -

the two fastest (off road) guys I know are riding XR400s. they are uninspiring in stock form, and even un-corked the XR will not hang with a CRF450, YZF/WR450, EXC450, etc in a drag race. however, all those high performing 4 strokes require as much or more maintainance than a CR250.

if you are not married to the idea of riding a red bike, and you want a 2 stroke that behaves better on the trails than the MX bikes, snag a ride on a KDX200-220, or EXC 250-300. their maintainence is th same as any other 2 stroke, with the exception that the big 300 will require fewer top-end rebuilds.

however, a properly jetted, suspended, and uncorked XR400 will go down the trails as fast as anything on the market.

jeremiah

rramsey

Sep 24, 2002
Thanks. I am partial to red as all I have ever owned is CRs. My friends had kdx's, yz's etc, but Im just a honda guy. Im going to go look again and see how I feel on them in the showroom. That cr to xr transition just seems like a hard sale. I'm just revved to get back in the sport. I get excited by the smell of my weed-eaters 31cc 2-stroke engine. I worry that I have 2-stroke in my blood ! Like I said the trails are pretty tight around here and that cr125 had to be revved to the moon to get some torque, but I have seen guys on 250 2-strokes that seemed to be OK as far as low-end and not having to rev the heck out of it. I think the xr400 would work good but I think I would miss that power band. It always seemed easy on the 2-strokes pull the front tire off the ground or clutch it a little and kick the rear end around. Do the thumpers have to power to do that?

rramsey

Sep 24, 2002
Anyone use a CR250 for trails? Is there less maintainence involved vs mx riding? I've narrowed out the xr250. Now its XR400 or CR250.

Superchief

Feb 11, 2003
If your use to a 2 stroke with a potent hit, why would you want to look at a 4 stroke( i can't speak of the CRF's, i've never had the chance to ride one). before i bought my 03 Cr 250R i rode a buddy's Xr and it just was'nt me, i grew up owning nothing but 2 strokes myself and that's why i bought one again. I've riden both trails and motocross tracks with mine and while it's more at home on the track ( go figure, it's ment to raced) it does fine on the trails to. Your trying to compare apples to oranges and it just won't work. While the XR is just a good an off rode bike as any.... it will never compare to a CR in any way shape or form. They are 2 totally different bikes for 2 totally different purposes. If your looking to get a 2 stroke hit in an XR ......you won't so buy a stroke....you'll be happier.

TVRider

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 29, 2002
You didn't mention your height and weight. The KDX is almost 40lbs lighter than than the XR400. Buy a KDX200, do a few cheap mods and blow everyone away in the tight stuff!!

xr284

Mar 18, 2003
go with the cr, you will be much happier. Going from a nice and light, 125cc two stroke, to a pig xr 400 is going to be a big change, you will hate how heavy they are, and getting used to a four stroke will take awile, Id say, go with the 250.

James

Lifetime Sponsor
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 2001
I had an XR400 for about 4 months. It was great for tight trails and tough terrain. I didn't like the weight or the suspension. Power was great, even acceptable on the track, after a few CHEAP mods.

I have ridden my 2000 CR250 on some trails and in the woods. I like it much better than the XR but I haven't had it in any REAL tight messy stuff yet (still deciding if I even want to ride that way anymore). The maintenance is the same or more in the woods in my experience.

If you go CR, I'd recommend getting a used/older one. 2001 and older are more sturdy in my opinion. It seems like the radiators are more exposed on the 02/03 and other parts have been skimped on for weight savings. My 2000 has a better powerband for the woods also but I hear 99 was the one to have. Keep in mind that the CRs are going to need some suspension work to make them more tolerable..the forks in particular are a bit stiff.

I have the 12oz flywheel and FMF Q series spark arrestor that I throw on for woods/trails....this helps some.

Top Bottom