santidreamer

May 7, 2008
Hi I am a new rider who is hooked, unfortunately my old knackered CRM250 MK2 threw off its chain after I put a 52T rear sprocket on it and went down a knee deep rut.

I now need a new engine or different bike!

I ride tight steep jungle trails and am considering the following bikes.

XR400 is this too heavy, not nimble?

CRM AR Already 10 years old and therefor unreliabilty

CR 250 Not enough low rev torque and a bit of a handful

YZ250f Expensive and lots of money to maintain.

I like to ride for an hour 3 times a week, living in Thailand parts and competent bike mechanics are scarce. I need something reliable, yet want something powerful and fun.

Thanks

steve.emma

Oct 21, 2002
kdx200 or 220 are cheap, reliable and easy to maintain. good all round trail bikes. the xr400's are good but you are right they are heavy and a bit dated (very bulletproof though..).
what about an rmx250? another great trailbike.

XRpredator

AssClown SuperPowers
Damn Yankees
Aug 2, 2000
steve.emma said:
kdx200 or 220 are cheap, reliable and easy to maintain. good all round trail bikes. the xr400's are good but you are right they are heavy and a bit dated (very bulletproof though..).
what about an rmx250? another great trailbike.
an XR400 is dated, while a KDX200/220 and RMX250 aren't? :coocoo:

I'd say go for a CR250 with a flywheel weight and you'll be golden.

steve.emma

Oct 21, 2002
an XR400 is dated, while a KDX200/220 and RMX250 aren't?
no, they are dated as well,the rmx not so much though. they are all good trailbikes.

i have a cr250 with a flywheel weight and ride mostly trails, i love it. may not suit everyone however.

ZOMBIE666

Mar 24, 2006
XRpredator said:
an XR400 is dated, while a KDX200/220 and RMX250 aren't? :coocoo:

They are all dated but the XRs feel it. The KDX's most noticeably dated in the front suspension, XR400s feel it everywhere else. Don’t get me wrong the XR is a great bike and bullt proof as hell as steve.emma said but the kdx is a fantastic dime a dozen bike; plus it’s a 2 stroke so it’s better by default :nener:

santidreamer

May 7, 2008
CR250 sounds the most fun, although maintenance is a worry.

I hear oil must be changed every 10hrs use, how long between top end rebuilds 1000KM?
I even saw a post saying rejetting the carb was necessary depending on where you filled the bike up!?

How expensive/ difficult is the flywheel weight mod?

I will do some research on KDX,

Is there such a thing as a 2 stroke enduro bike, as opposite to a full on MX race machine.

Thanks

santidreamer

May 7, 2008
CR250 sounds the most fun, although maintenance is a worry.

I hear oil must be changed every 10hrs use, how long between top end rebuilds 1000KM?
I even saw a post saying rejetting the carb was necessary depending on where you filled the bike up!?

How expensive/ difficult is the flywheel weight mod?

I will do some research on KDX.

Is there such a thing as a 2 stroke enduro bike, not a full on MX race machine.

Thanks

Ron2stroke1

Feb 28, 2008
the oil should be changed alot on a 2stroke but it is very simple. It is only transmission oil so there is no filter. I would go with the kdx because they are good all around bikes.

santidreamer

May 7, 2008
Thanks Everyone

A KDX does seem a real good idea, I love/ loved my 2 stroke enduro and fancy a newer one. For no other reason than reliability.

Shame there is no such animal as KDX300.

I was offered a KX500, but a riding buddy said it would be to much of a beast for me.

It is dry, dust and gravel where I live, breaking traction is an issue. I normally fall off on steep hills after the back wheel spins and I end up facing along the mount and cannot reach the ground and therefore get high sided.

Top Bottom