roosterboy

Jul 25, 2000
hi Im new to this suspension stuff, but is there anything that would cause a bikes back wheel to kick up on jumps, if there is, i think its happening to me, because im doing jumps, and im in the attack position, and Im not letting off the throttle on the face (and sometimes not in the air on smaller jumps) but I still land front wheel first. Can I make it better without buying new springs ? thanks

surfercross

Jan 6, 2001
The same thing happened to me to the other day and it scarded the crap out of me.I think the problem is with your rebound it could be to fast and you may have also preloaded your suspension to much or you could have hit a little kicker at the top of the jump. I always try to go around the track and check the jumps for anything unusual. Hope this helps

------------------

berm buster

~SPONSOR~
Apr 17, 2001
roosterboy,

What usually causes the rear tire to "kick up", is that the rebound damping on the rear shock is too fast. Look at it this way, when you are on the base of the jump, your body weight is pushed or compressed into the suspension, at the top of the face, gravity
unweights the suspension or in this case the rear shock and "shoots" the rear end up very quickly.
Which causes that nasty front wheel endo we are trying to avoid!

So if we want to reduce the speed of the rear shock, we need to increase the damping or in other words, slow down the speed of the rebound damping.

This will let the bike rise verticaly, rather than just the rear end. Also, do watch out for kickers at the top of the jump face, this will cause problems for even experienced riders.

Hope this helps.

------------------
"Need any help,...Oh, all I can get.

roosterboy

Jul 25, 2000
Thanks bermbuster, but how do I change the rebound damping ? and I check for kickers too but most of the time its ok.

------------------
YEEEAAAAHHHH TESTOSTERONE !!!

Dirteater

Jan 24, 2001
The rebound adjustment on most bikes is on the bottom of the shock. Sometimes it is hidden by the linkage around it. There is a soft <> hard adjustment. You will want to go to the hard side a little. I would go two but depending on your bike that may be too much or too little.
If the bike feels good in the rear other than that you may want to add a little compression hardness to the front fork instead of messing with the rear. I could not tell you where that is unless knew what kind of bike you are riding. The stiffer fork compression setting will tend to even out the upwards push on the bike making you launch flatter.
Play with it and good luck.
Zack

------------------
Ridin' till I can't
'98 RMX250
'84 XR250r
Laid to rest:
'73 TC125

RM250boy

Mar 7, 2001
this is awesome stuff! i have the exact opposite problem and now i think i can fix it!! no air under the back wheel and i know it was setup for a 185lb guy and im 245lb... i guess that means i will go on my rear shock on the bottom side and turn it a few thousand clicks to the soft side... :) i was wondering what exactly the spring tension adjustment does??? i will post a seperate thread for that i guess... thanks for the info guys!

------------------
John
'99 RM 250

roosterboy

Jul 25, 2000
1 small problem - I cant find the rebound clicker, it isnt on the bottom of the shock.

------------------
YEEEAAAAHHHH TESTOSTERONE !!!

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom