Backfire

jacksoj

Dec 11, 2001
What could cause a bike to backfire? I'm helping my neighbor with his XL600R. It started out losing all spark. We just put a new stator in it, which restored the spark. We got it started tonight and it fired up. After letting it warm up for a couple of minutes, he killed it to check the oil level. Afterward, we couldn't get it to start with the kickstarter. We pulled it behind a quad to get it started, but it would backfire sporadically out the exhaust. None of the manuals I have say what to check if a bike backfires. Anybody have any suggestions on what to check?

Thanks in advance

atc3434`

~SPONSOR~
Nov 1, 2001
Sounds like an issue with the timing if you ask me... perhaps when the stator was replaced, you didn't get the timing set back properly.

Kornholio

Jul 11, 2001
Yeah, i would suspect you havent titghened the stator retaining bolts at the edge properly. Check the position of the stator using the predefined marks at the edge. When you've started the bike originally its probably worked it's way loose knocking the timing out. Let us know how you get on.

jacksoj

Dec 11, 2001
We finally had a chance to tear into it tonight. The stator bolts were tight. Nothing had slipped. One thing I'm curious about is there was about 1/2 a quart of oil under the stator cover. Is that normal? Could there be a leaking seal that's causing an electrical problem because oils getting over everything?

flynbryan

~SPONSOR~
May 22, 2000
Originally posted by jacksoj
Could there be a leaking seal that's causing an electrical problem because oils getting over everything?
Yup. That should be an enclosed area, with no Oil/water coming into contact with this part of the motor. You've got a bad seal.

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…