Dan105

Aug 23, 2002
I race harescrambles that are 2 -3 hours long. The courses are pretty tough. I have always had problems with blisters but not like this. I can ride for a hour and get them. Well after sunday my hands are shredded from the race. I have to wear rubber gloves while in the shower because when the water hits my hands with the open sores its damn near tear jerking pain. What can I do about this??? I tryed taping them and still them on my palms. I tryed the underwear gloves that a friend gave me but they were alittle worn and I got blisters. I am running Scott MX2 grips. Should I find the softest grip I can? Anyone ever put superglue on their hands to build up a tough coating. I read years ago that GP racers in Europer used to do that to ward off blisters. ??????????????

HajiWasAPunk

Aug 5, 2005
you're wearing good gloves and get them after an hour of riding?
I used to have this problem playing golf, and I was just gradually build up the practice time. I'd suggest letting them heal up pretty good, and then ride for about 20-30 minutes 1 or 2 times (different days). Then go again for 30-45 minutes for a couple of times. You should start to develop some calluses. I ride for 2-3 hours at a time now with out so much as a bump on my hands (the rest of my body is a different story :))

njkx

Apr 13, 2004
haven't tried this personally but heard it works. try soaking your hands in pickle juice. Allegedly this hardens your skin big time. My friend who is a AA baseball player swears by it...he was having the same problem with tons of BP. The best remedy is to grip the bike more with your legs and relax your hands. Easier said than done.

Masterphil

DRN's Resident Lunatic
Aug 3, 2004
I found that when I changed my grips to the soft compound the blisters/hand cramps got worse! I think it was because the grips were so soft, I didnt feel like I had a firm grip on the bars, so I would grip them way tighter than I needed to. For me, the medium/hard compound works best.

Feb 20, 2004
an easy way to build up caluses is go out into the woods with an ax and chop down a couple of trees. OR you can split wood with a spliting maul. the ax sliding through your hands really toughens them up. Or you can just keep riding alot they will eventually toughen up

redrider100

Aug 17, 2003
if you have half waffle grips make sure the waffle part only comes in contact with your fingers. I found that when i put mine on i wasnt overgripping like i would when i ride and as a result i was getting blisters.

Top Bottom