riverz

Jun 25, 2003
As we know used bikes are buyer beware. Just wanted to share my experience with anyone who cares. I bought a 93 KDX 200 last year and the clutch never worked right. I'm new to dirtbikes so I had no idea what was the matter. I replaced the cable since it was the cheapest bet. Nope. Not the cable.

I took my bike in a couple weeks ago for blown fork seals and had them look at the clutch for me. I just got the bike back and learned some of the plates were installed wrong! What gets me is I bought this bike off of a dealership that installed the new clutch. This dealership I bought the bike from apparently has a licensed mechanic on hand. Licensed for what? Who knows. The repair was only 85 dollars - I got off easy because I dropped some more dough on gear at this place.

Symptoms I experienced with my clutch:

1. Really stiff lever
2. Stalling while idling in gear
3. The bike wouldn't stand still when 1/8th throttle was applied in 1st but would finally settle once I applied 1/4 throttle. Huge waste of gas and a problem with over heating.
4. Definitely couldn't start the bike in gear
5. Couldn't move the bike in gear using the clutch.

Hope this serves some form of education for anyone knew to bikes like myself.

Riverz

Reesknight

~SPONSOR~
Oct 31, 2002
Sounds fairly normal to me :eek: I don't know how you can install plates wrong unless they mean the steel and fiber were in the wrong order. So i take it that it is better now? How much play was in the cable?

Bizerk

Feb 28, 2004
Maybe you need to start eating your Wheatees!

Just kiddin' :think: :laugh:

I agree that he could have had the clutch plates mixed up or reversed...that's the only thing I can think of...never heard of a problem like that before.

motox

May 21, 2001
riverz, is your clutch working ok now? My 92 didn't work good for the last 3 years until last week when i replaced the plates. That's when I discovered that the clutch lever auctuator arm was worn so much it wasn't pushing the clutch pusher in enough. Two 7¢ washers fixed it.

Hey KDXfreestyle my bike pushes easy with the clutch in and the motor off. It is exactly the same principle. Engine running doesn't make a difference.

Henk

Apr 15, 2000
Just had a look in the KDX manual and the only obvious mistake I can see being made is that the last friction plate has to be installed with the tangs in the housing instead of in the grooves. Of course this is for H model KDXes so it might no apply to the 93. If anybody has a cure for the common KDX draggy clutch short of replacing the basket I'd be keen to hear about it though.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom