sho061

Mar 9, 2010
I just took off the clutch cover from the 2000 kdx 220 i bought and the rings looked good and didn't smell burnt at all. Now the problem i am having is that when i pull the clutch lever and shift into gear (bike is not running) the bike stops rolling as if i have let out the clutch lever (which i haven't).

Any ideas as to what is going on?

Thanks

sho061

Mar 9, 2010
Sounds easy enough. I have it opened up anyways and am still waiting on the gasket. Thanks

Joburble

Bring back the CR500
~SPONSOR~
Jul 20, 2009
While you have got the clutch apart you may as well measure the plate thickness and check the plates for warp. As it all seems to be working fine this is just for your own information. When the bike is not running the clutch can be a bit draggy. When I haven't been using my bike for a while I always put the bike in 2nd gear with the clutch in and engine off and roll it back and forth to free up the clutch. At the beginning it can be a bit stiff.

Last edited:

reepicheep

Apr 3, 2009
That's a good point of clarification. I had a clutch pack I bought on EBay do this. Soaking the pack didn't fix it, taking the pack apart and soaking the plates did fix it. FWIW.

sho061

Mar 9, 2010
K good to know. I'll soak it this week.

Another question, what oil wieght do you guys use. I know the manual says 10w-40 but the parts guy told me to use 80-85w. Which do you guys prefer?

Also the guy who had the bike before me was using Trick Racing fuel 101 octane. have you guys had any experience with this fuel? I know fuel doesn't significantly add hp but it does make throttle response better.

If i were to change fuel octane I would have to rejet so should i change or is it worth keeping it the same?

julien_d

Oct 28, 2008
seriously? Good suggestions, but I don't think you have a problem. I have never seen a 2 stroke motor that behaves as if it's in neutral with the engine off, bike in gear, and clutch pulled. They just don't work that way. Dirt bike clutch is pretty useless with the engine off.

Joburble

Bring back the CR500
~SPONSOR~
Jul 20, 2009
reepicheep said:
I use ATF type F. Cheap and works great.
I use ATF type F too and I changed it last night after putting 6 hrs on it. One thing I have noticed is that it suspends particles well. I am not sure if that is good or bad, but it does mean that it flushes well with an oil change. Yup it is cheap, over 5 oil changes for about $30 NZ and at that price you can change it often without it hurting the wallet.

6pac

Mar 10, 2010
julien_d said:
seriously? Good suggestions, but I don't think you have a problem. I have never seen a 2 stroke motor that behaves as if it's in neutral with the engine off, bike in gear, and clutch pulled. They just don't work that way. Dirt bike clutch is pretty useless with the engine off.
I tend to agree julien but I must admit I,ve never owned a bike from being new so this could be why.
(maybe its just all the bikes I,ve owned have had worn componants)

sho061

Mar 9, 2010
I talked to a guy today that grew up riding a 200 and said pretty much the same. He said they tend to stick after not riding for a bit and just pump the clutch lever put in in gear rock it and once you start riding it will warm up.

Learning new stuff everyday. I like it.

Top Bottom