zjcrawler45

Aug 1, 2007
My left fork seal has been leaking slowly but surely and i am going to be replacing it soon. One point my buddy brought up though is that the seal could be not sealing properly if i have a bent fork. Which i dont think it is at all. Is there anyway to check for sure if i have a bent fork?
\
Also was looking up parts for seals and there seems to be like 5 different ones. Do i need all of them and what are they all for?

DWreck

~SPONSOR~
Apr 14, 2002
It may just be the fork seals but I always replace the dust seals at the same time.

If the bushings (most forks have two bushings per side) is worn it will allow the lower tube to rock back and forth and seals will not last long if that is the case.

IndyMX

Crash Test Dummy
~SPONSOR~
Jul 18, 2006
Amo, IN
Get a seal kit and replace the everything.

The Pivot Works kit runs about 65 bucks.

You can use straight edge to see if the fork is bent.. but unless there is some other indication, I doubt that's the problem.

May 9, 2007
On a 2001, if the forks have never been rebuilt, it's a pretty safe bet that the bushings are shot. Even a new seal will leak quickly (or immediately) with worn bushings.

A knick or ding in the fork tube can also cause seals to leak.

MXer666

Jul 15, 2007
i dont think it matters how old your bike is, is how you maintain it. Ive got a 84 CR and the fork seals have only been changed once. just ges to show how well built the bikes were back in the day. Nowadays manufacturers are producing quantity instaed of quality, and there using lightweight metal that isnt that strong and wear resistant.

zjcrawler45

Aug 1, 2007
Actually it has Tech Care suspension with what i think to be completely new forks. Would the pivot works kit still work or is it different because they're different forks?

IndyMX

Crash Test Dummy
~SPONSOR~
Jul 18, 2006
Amo, IN
zjcrawler45 said:
Actually it has Tech Care suspension with what i think to be completely new forks. Would the pivot works kit still work or is it different because they're different forks?

Most likely it has the stock fork tubes.. The Tech Care stuff is just the valving and whatnot. Usually what most aftermarket suspension people do..

Those should be 46mm forks, so if you have a mic you could measure..

zjcrawler45

Aug 1, 2007
ok yes they are stock fork tubs. Whats a mic? and since they're aftermarket suspension will the same pivot works seal kit work with it? Today i attemped to see if any of the bushings in the forks are shot; so i put the front wheel up against the house and tried to push forward to see if anything moved. I kept getting this cracking noise, what does that mean?

rm_racer

Mar 15, 2005
A mic is a micrometer. Its a percise measuring tool. The cracking noise is either worn fork bushings, the head bearings or front wheel bearings. Or you were breaking your siding.

IndyMX

Crash Test Dummy
~SPONSOR~
Jul 18, 2006
Amo, IN
The only way to tell if your bushings are bad is to remove them.

They are teflon coated, and when the coating flakes they are bad.. But on a bike that age, it's wise to just change them and be done with it..

Order the Pivot Works kit for your bike, they'll work with those forks.

Top Bottom