KTM Mike

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Apr 9, 2001
And worst yet - on private property....MY property!

With this outstanding weather I had to get out for a ride this weekend. The boys and I did a ride on the Atlanta C loop yesterday, and today I wanted to get out on my loop here at home. I had already done two laps on my course and was on my third lap. As I came around tight bend around poplar tree on the left, I caught a quick glimpse of something out of the corner of my eye - not so sure I really realized what it was at that instant, but I dove further inside on the line around the tree and instinctively ducked my head.

I came to a stop to look over my shoulder to see what in the world it was I had seen - to see a strand of barbed wire strung between that poplar tree on the left, and the pine tree to the right. :yikes:

The wire went over the poplar about 9 feet up, (the poplar leans at quite an angle from to many bark buster smacks), drooped down to neck height right across the trail, then sloped upward to about 7' up on some branchs on the nearby pine tree.

My property was fenced many years ago, and does have an old fence line around most of the permiter. I have not worried about pulling up any of the old wire, as I have tried to route my trails such it would be of no concern, and now the trails near the boundries are well established. The wire in question, came from the nearby fence line. Now keep in mind, this old fence line has YEARS worth of leaves and other debri on top of the wire - such you REALLY have to yank on it to pull it out of the leaves. It appears someone came along, pulled up the fence line, evidently breaking it (or it may have been broken before) such the loose end was tossed up on that poplar, pulled across the pine tree then running back to the fence line. There is ABSOLUTELY NO WAY, the wind somehow blew this wire up there ...NO WAY NO HOW!

The scariest thing is - I had already been around that same corner two times before and somehow missed that wire! Evidently my line was far enough inside I just missed it. OR, the wire was strung up after my second lap. (I doubt that based on how the pine tree's bark was scraped up from the wire).

The adjacent property owner is a 88 year old widower - her home is located such there is no way noise is an issue for her. BUT...she does allow some local people to hunt her property, and this fall, a new deer blind had been constructed near the west edge of my property - about 300 yard from where the wire was.

Needless to say, I was/am rather upset with this! :yell: :yell: I did call the local police, and filed a complaint. The officer I spoke to said he often found that if the police get involved, quite often things escalate really quick with retaliatory actions. He suggested, and I agreed, that I would try to do some informal poking around to find out who might have been hunting on the neighbors land. If we can get a feel for who this may of been, then maybe go to the neighbor with the story - not accusing her (I really can not see her in any way involved) but basically letting her know that the people she is allowing to hunt her property are doing some rather crappy stuff!

I had pulled the wire down after I found it, (I wanted to do a few more laps!) but did go back and take some pics of the situation, and put the wire back up like I had found it for some pics to show it like it was. I then took it down and left it. My thought is to let it lay a while and see if it some how finds its way back up again in the near future. I do however plan on removing all the wire I can find to eliminate the opportunity for this idiot to use it again. (so for those of you who do ride here on occassion - dont worry, it wont be an issue in the future!)

The more I think about this, and what could of happened, the more pissed off I am! What if one of my kids had been out riding? Or a friend? Or if I had not ducked when I did? I am convinced that even if I do risk what has been to this point a good relationship with our neighbor, I am gonna take further action! Again, I am confident it was not the neighbor, but I am sure it is either a hunter she is knowingly allowing to hunt her property, or it is a hunter there without her consent.

What are your thoughts with how I should pursue this?

Whew...i needed to rant a moment...thanks guys!

bbarel

Mi. Trail Riders
Apr 13, 2003
You have every right to be upset. Some guy in CA had his face ripped off from something like this. It will be hard to prove anything. I would definately talk to the adjacent property owner and ask her to ban the culprets from her property asap.

3KDXXR2

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Jan 3, 2002
Wow Mike, Its hard to believe that someone would do that on property that is not there own. Im glad that you were not injured. I hope with some investigation you will find out who put the wire across the Trail . By the way your trail is awesome!

Moose

~SPONSOR~
Sep 16, 2006
I recall there being a thread about this in another forum. The people that were guilty received manslaughter charges, I believe.

Uchytil

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 29, 2003
Don't know how you could pursue that without some evidence. I also have trails on my land in Muskegon and the same barb wire buried/sticking out around the 23 acre perimeter of woods. I've pulled some up but never had others pull some lame stunt like that. There have been hunters that have put up stands that I asked to move on. Luckliy no retaliation. Is your land posted? I posted mine with a phone number to call. I am the sort that would consider letting someone on with permission. The posting, I hope, keeps honest people honest. It also gives me a small edge should I catch somemone on the property. Since I've been away for 7 months my wife says all is quiet on the western front. My god, I still can't believe soemone would do that. That could lead to disaster on many levels.

katoom125

Apr 25, 2004
I certainly know your feelings of anger/shock/and fear and I still have a scar on my neck to prove it!

Many years ago we had a favorite riding area near where my parents lived where several of us rode (with land owners permission of course) - there were several hundred acres, not near anyones house or property lines as we stayed away from the boundry edges.

One day I happened to be leading the group and rounded a corner and got a quick glimpse of something just about the same time as I felt an extreme burning sensation across the front of my neck. I threw my head back but couldn't 'shake' the line off - it kept stretching across my neck. It nearly took me off the bike but eventually it broke. The idiot setting the "trap" for us had used monofiliment fishing line - thank god he didn't use anything stronger as it would likely have killed me.

We were able to stop most of the bleeding by wrapping the wound and I then was able to get out of the woods and get help quickly - Many years later I still have a rather large scar to show for some idiots prank. You were very lucky but lucky or not, I'd be furious and like to get my hands on the prankster (yes, I think I know how you feel).

Dec 11, 2004
I Agree with everyone, I guess a practice or sight lap at your property is out of the question due to size? I dont know. I would tell the neighbor I mean you know she didnt do it. I have 400 acres in Iowa and dudes hunt on the property next door, so we try not to ride on those weekends, but that is only for 2 weekends a year and its winter here any way. I would talk to the hunters and maybe see if you could work out a schedue

woodsy

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Jan 16, 2002
del

Last edited:

BadgerMan

Mi. Trail Riders
Jan 1, 2001
Wow, thank God that you were not hurt!

You are gonna want to keep an eye on the cable and see if someone comes back out takes it down.

Time to do some hunting of your own, IMO. :nod:

Click here

CR250R@WINTERS

~SPONSOR~
May 28, 2004
Wow Mike!

Glad you saw it and didn't get hurt. If you ever need an eye witness to the fact that the wire didn't used to be there, you know I can vouch for it. Been around that trail a few times and I think I know exactly where you are talkting about. It is absolutely amazing when you see all the stuff people think they can get away with it the woods. I see it all the time when I am out surveying!

Mike

70 marlin

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 15, 2000
That really sucks Mike! Out in my area a couple kids died because someone strung a wire across a horse trail. Granted they were riding their quad illegally, but it's not a capital crime! It still burn me to this day! Time to keep a closer eye on your property.

Creeper9

~SPONSOR~
Oct 28, 1999
No, It would be really cool to catch them red handed and beat them sensless with spooged up silencer packing. :debil:

Glad nothing happened to you Mike. That's totally insane for someone to do that.

Why is it that you always hear of this type of thing? Are people that hard up for a deer that they are willing to possibly kill someone? Just go out and drive your car on M-33 at night. You'll hit one eventually.

:yell:

2TrakR

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Jan 1, 2002
Mike - very glad you were not hurt.
Since I'm not getting a good mental picture of the way the wire was hung, is it even remotely possible this was from a deer or elk antler scrape? The way you describe the positioning doesn't seem like the way a person would place a wire, but I'm probably just not reading your post quite right. 7 foot would be high for a person to hang something but not unreasonable for a bull elk to reach while performing a territorial scrape/rub.

Regardless, I hope you are able to get things resolved. Spooky stuff!

D.LEATHERS

Jun 28, 2002
Mike,
Glad You Are Still In One Piece, Imagine If They Would Have Used Stainless Safety Wire, You Would Have Never Seen It And Probably Would Have Cut Your Head Clean Off. Sounds Like You Pissed Off Some Idiot With The Bike Riding, Who Thought He Wasn't Going To See Any Deer Because Of Your Riding/noise Of The Bike. We Don't Need These Lunatics In Our Michigan Woods. I Like The Idea Of Catching Them On Video, Chances Are If They Will Go To That Extreme, Then They Probably Are Doing Other Illegal Deeds As Well. The Dnr/co's Would Be Interested I'm Sure. Keep Us Posted On This Matter. Good Luck!!!
Dave Leathers.

loudandproud

Jul 29, 2006
D.LEATHERS said:
Mike,
Glad You Are Still In One Piece, Imagine If They Would Have Used Stainless Safety Wire, You Would Have Never Seen It And Probably Would Have Cut Your Head Clean Off. Sounds Like You Pissed Off Some Idiot With The Bike Riding, Who Thought He Wasn't Going To See Any Deer Because Of Your Riding/noise Of The Bike. We Don't Need These Lunatics In Our Michigan Woods. I Like The Idea Of Catching Them On Video, Chances Are If They Will Go To That Extreme, Then They Probably Are Doing Other Illegal Deeds As Well. The Dnr/co's Would Be Interested I'm Sure. Keep Us Posted On This Matter. Good Luck!!!
Dave Leathers.
you might one to check out your shift key there buddy :coocoo:

anyway, yah, this thread kind of pisses me off.

If i found out who it was i would screw them over hardcore. LAWSUIT anyone :nener:

slowone

Aug 4, 2006
Dave, didn't Bruce Turner have a situation on a marked orv or cycle trail this last summer? I'm thinking that he actually hit whatever was strung over the trail. KTM Mike, glad you're in one piece. I guess we all need to keep this crap in mind when on private or state property. Good luck finding these ass wipes!! :think:

knowiam

~SPONSOR~
Oct 17, 2006
More Advice:

First off- I am glad to know that neither you nor your children were hurt...that is what is most important! (now and the future, right?)

To that end, the advice given in previous posts has been very good.

Here are three sources that I've used to find out information on folks that I needed to know about...

www.zabasearch.com
www.zoominfo.com
www.searchsystems.com

If you have a "liar" in the family, he/she probably has access to the lexis/nexis (sp) system through their law firm and could give you as good of information as the above...free

Be careful!

Ken

nzambon

Apr 19, 2003
Make sure you contact the dnr law office. They need to be involved also. This cannot go unfinished. I once was a victom of some one who put a log in the trail. I broke my hip because of it. Anyhow glad your ok

Fred T

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 23, 2001
nzambon said:
Make sure you contact the dnr law office. They need to be involved also. This cannot go unfinished. I once was a victom of some one who put a log in the trail. I broke my hip because of it. Anyhow glad your ok

Nick, is that why you have that "phobia" about roselawn?

KTM Mike

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Apr 9, 2001
Thanks for all the great suggestions and support guys! As the day has wore on today, the more I am convinced I am going to do what it takes to nail this idiot.

2trackR - it is hard to visualize this setting, but bottom line is, there is no way no how a elk or deer some how got the wire up like it was. I stood there for quite some time playing devils advocate trying to see if there might be some way that could of happened. I thought through and metally tried to picture how a elk or deer could of done this, or the wind, or anything else I could imagine.

Picture this - a old, buried under years of leaves fence line, running north/south. (my relative measurements here are wild guesses, so maybe off somewhat!) A pine tree about 10 feet to the east of that old fence line. Moving maybe 10 feet south east from that tree, a poplar leaning over such up higher it almost goes horizontal, with limbs pointing upwards. Trail curving 180 degrees around the poplar, between the poplar and the pine tree. Fence line broken about oh, 15 feet south of the poplar location, yet solidly attached still 10 feet or so north of the pine tree. Wire pulled taught from where it is solid at the fence line to the pine tree, but is placed ABOVE the many branches below it, in against the trunk of the tree. The branches below appear undisturbed (an Elk would of totally destroyed this tree). From the pine tree, the wire then extends south east toward the poplar, looping down in a "U" shape, with the other upper end of the "U" on the poplar. The bottom of the "U" over the trail, at about neck height. Where the wire crosses the poplar, it is inbetween the branches sticking upwards. then dangling downward on the other side of the poplar. When I pulled the wire down, I had to grab the wire from each side of the poplar, and pushing it upwards (relying on the stiffness of the wire) I could then lift it up and over the branches on the poplar to get it free of the brances. If i get a chance I will download the pics I took, and post some...not sure they came out such you can really see the wire or not though.

I did start my informal poking around - chatted with another neighbor lady (one i have an outstanding relationship with) - who happens to be best friends with the adjacent land owner. (who is out of state until 1/7) The land owner recently started allowing a local guy to hunt back there - I have his name and know where he lives. At this point, I dont really know he did it, but he certainly is a prime candidate. My instinct is to pay him a visit, and in as non-accusatory of a way I possibly can muster, ask him if he can "help me out" in figuring out what in the world might of happened. My guess is, if he is dumb enough to have done this, he will be dumb enough to spout off at me and admit to having done it. If i send the cops in first, of course it will be "no sir officer...i have not seen anything odd at all." My wife is concerned if i do this, he might be the type to do something stupid right there... She may have a good point. But then again, screw that...i just want to nail this guy and if he wants to take a swing at me it only adds to the charges! At a minimum, leveraging my neighbors relationship with the land owner, there is a good chance I can at least get the hunter kicked off from hunting the land (or maybe not, the land owner relies on him to plow her driveway and helps her out regularily).

Anyhow, thanks for the well wishes and suggestions. Keep them coming..now I need suggestions on how to "safely" confront this yahoo....

woodsy

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Jan 16, 2002

Last edited:

headbanger

May 7, 2000
Badger Man. We had the same idea!
My brother-in law (a hunter) was looking into building a digital scouting camera like that and found many of them were purchased to
catch trespasser's on private property. Just make sure you can turn the flash off.
And position it so it can't be seen or removed very easy! They also found that most trespassers will take the camera. So there is no evidence. So have it well hidden.

Top Bottom