kcmoto

Mar 19, 2003
are two tie downs on the bars enough to hold a dirtbike on a trailer
with rails?

should i also tie down the back area? if yes, how many tie downs and where do put them?

wibby

Mod Ban
Mar 15, 2003
I don't know about on a trailer, but in the back of my Frontier CC I tie my bike down with 4 straps! 2 on the bars, 1 holding the bike tight to the front corner of the bed, and 1 holding the bike down at the back near the opposite bed rail. But that's just me over doing it! But I don't have to worry about moving around at all.

mx547

Ortho doc's wet dream
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 24, 2000
at a minimum, i would tie down the back tire too. just tie it around the rail. it wouldn't hurt to tie the front tire down also. don't worry about overkill, you can't have it tied down too good.

dead

Subscriber
~SPONSOR~
Apr 28, 2003
I use 3. 2 on the bars and 1 on the rear tire. I keep spares in the truck incase I decided I want more.

Highbeam

~SPONSOR~
Jun 13, 2001
Does the trailer have rails like a utility trailer with sides or is it like a 3 rail trailer? I have the utility trailer with 2' high sides and only use two tie-downs. Even if the tie downs fail, the bike will only tip over.

kcmoto

Mar 19, 2003
Thanks for all the feedback.

i'll use 3 tie downs. 2 for the front bar and 1 for the rear tire.

the trailer has motorcycle rails which goes up on the tire about 4-5in. the front part of the rail also has a triangle kind of support to keep the front wheel from turning.

srhill

~SPONSOR~
Sep 20, 2002
I use one long ratchet tie down for my rear tires on my 3 rail trailer. I go from one side of the trailer over the top of the rear tires to the other side and winch them down.

I also take two pieces of rope and tie the handle bars together. If you have a tie down to slip/fail the bike will not fall over due to the handle bars being tied together.

Top Bottom