Securing 4 bikes in enclosed trailer

cthowards

~SPONSOR~
Feb 13, 2006
I did a search and read all of the posts on enclosed trailers and the various setups, including MX-727's gallery. I have a 6 x 12 Pace American enclosed trailer that I want to be able to carry 4 bikes. The issue is that at times I go on woods rides with friends and could bring 4 full size KTMs. Other times, I will be riding MX with my son so we will have my CRF450R, and his KX65 and KX85. I like the idea of lining up the bikes at an angle and I also like the idea of tieing down the footpegs to the floor. If I only had 4 full size bikes, I would likely just get the ATK bike shoes. So, what do you think of the following options:

1. 4 ATK bike shoes - no tie downs for the large bikes, put d-rings on the floor for the last two shoes to hold the KX65 and kX85 whenever I bring them.

2. 4 removable shoes with a track of e-line on the wall to attach tie downs to.

3. 4 removable shoes with d-rings in the floor to attach tie downs to the footpegs.

I have never used the ATK shoes and have never known anybody that has so I am skeptical if they work or would hold the KX65 or KX85 (even with tiedowns). I also like the flexibility of option 3 to remove the shoes if I need to and to limit the tangled mess of tiedowns if I go from the bars to e-line. Right now I have an empty trailer so I don't want to screw it up!

Any ideas or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

RYDMOTO

~SPONSOR~
Feb 16, 2001
http://www.dirtrider.net/forums3/showthread.php?t=167025

This might help if you have not come across this post.

On my set up I used both ATK bike shoes and my turnbuckles I made up.With hindsight I did not need the bike shoes.Just a regular wheel "chock" kind would have worked.If you put the D-clamps on the floor just forward of your footpegs the turnbuckles will pull the bike forward into the chock and the bike will be very secure.
The other way to do it is weld up a steel box to put under your bike and use the turnbuckles to pull the bike down tight on top of it.Either way will work and will be extremely secure.

To answer your question the ATK bike shoes do work well I just felt the bikes rocked too much for my comfort.The bikes shoes will have to be modified easily to accomodate the smaller wheels on the kx 80s

cthowards

~SPONSOR~
Feb 13, 2006
That sounds like a great idea. I may try to use the regular chocks (such as pingel) instead of an ATK because they are much smaller and are easily removed and stored. For the KX65 and KX85, I may try just using tiedowns from the pegs to the floor since those bikes are lower and much lighter than a full size bike. Have you ever had an instance where the turnbuckle loosened up?

RYDMOTO

~SPONSOR~
Feb 16, 2001
A few thoughts. Since you have an enclosed trailer you can go with the ATK shoes and that's all you should need for the larger bikes.
For the smaller bikes you can either modify the ATK shoes to fit over the tires and be done with it.
Tie downs on the footpegs will not work.You might get away with ratcheting ones but it will be a pain to use.
If it were me I would use the turnbuckles with a steal frame box or as I said or a tire chock.It's just my preference.Others may give their opinion and you can choose from there.My turnbuckles have never loosened up.Be sure to add some steel plate under your D-clamps and shoes for re-enforcement.

cthowards

~SPONSOR~
Feb 13, 2006
Thanks for the tips. It sounds as though the ATK shoes work pretty good on their own. I guess I have to see them work to fully understand them.

Thanks again.

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
I use removable "Bike Boots" and have 2 big bike with one mini boot and then I just secure the other bike whatever it is (usually a friends bike or a pit bike) against the wall at an angle. The mini size boot now is home to our XR80 since my son moved from a CR85 to a CR125 and we just use tie downs to hold it in place on the boot. I like the quick release option incase I need the floor space for some reason so you might consider that option. Another idea is just fasten 2x2's to the wall where the front tire will be and use that to pull the bike against / locate the front tire. Figure out how you want to load the bikes and look at which way the tire would slide if you did a fast stop then place the 2x2 in a position to help avoid the bike slipping along the wall. I did this when we had 3 full size, 1 XR80, 1 Montesa 315 and a pit bike in my trailer. I used a piece of 1/2 plywood as the base so I could revove it without damage to the trailer wall when we went back to the standard configuration.

High Lord Gomer

Poked with Sticks
Sep 26, 1999
I lined the left side with bike shoes at an angle and put D-rings on the left wall. No need to use tie-downs with the big bikes, but you can leave the bike shoe fully collapsed and use it like a "normal" wheel chock with tie downs attached to the D-rings.

If the trailer is new, I would suggest painting the floor and lower foot or two of the walls with Duraliner-type paint. I used the cheap stuff from Walmart and it held up well. You have to do it before you get any oil on the floor, though.

Chili

Lifetime Sponsor - Photog Moderator
Apr 9, 2002
I just put the bikes on a center stand and use the turnbuckles to the footpegs, usually one side in front of the footpeg and one facing behind. Never had a bike move no matter what size bike and then I have a trailer with nothing but recessed D-Rings in the floor if I need to use it for something else.

Top Bottom