Been a rash of thieving going on

a454elk

Mexicutioner
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 5, 2001
Seems as though it goes in spurts and it's been spurting lately. Theives are taking our hard earned rides and I'm getting sick of seeing it. Maybe it's time to remind each other to watch our stuff. These low life POS's will do anything to get what they won't work for. Let's keep and eye out for our neighbor's and friends when they can't watch. You see a neighbor's garage open at night and they are either gone or asleep, go close it for them.

Like I've said before, if we don't take care of each other, no one else will do it. Watch the guys stuff next to you at the track or riding area when you can. And if you think something just ain't right, ask the questions and if they don't like it, then that's too bad. Complacency happens to everyone so this us just a friendly reminder to put it at the forefront. Good luck ;)

Elk

Green Horn

aka Chip Carbone
N. Texas SP
Jun 20, 1999
Thanks Elk. I do agree that there have been a surge of bike thefts lately. Not good at all!!

jake949

~SPONSOR~
Mar 7, 2000
what if we started a program call it "motowatch" or something? We start a data base with every members vin numbers, and stickers to put on our bikes and trucks stating that the vins are in a national data base to be tracked incase of theft? Don't know if it is feasable but it is a idea.

MX2_motorex

Jan 7, 2003
Your defenetly right elk, I'd also like to add that people should lock up there tool boxes when there out riding. theves that go to the track can russle through that stuff while your on the track. When you come back you might not even know someone got in your tool box or truck. I had a $80 torc wrench stolen from me during a race last weekend. Its good to check and make sure every thing is there and if not start asking questions. It goes to show you just cant trust people anymore.

a454elk

Mexicutioner
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 5, 2001
It's been thought of before jake, there already is a database for this and we utilize it when a bike is input as stolen. Good point MX2, they want ANYTHING that we have.:|

Dan105

Aug 23, 2002
I am a member of a smaller dirtbike site and most of the members are in the new england states. So I know a lot of them pretty well. Man there has been a lot of thefts going on. A guy on the site just had his bike stolen and it was exspensive too. I hope he catches them. WTF!! How can these people take something like a bike and sleep at night? There was some talk of a lojack type devise for bikes, i think that would be great if some company came out with something that could track your bike via satelite. I am extra careful these days and im in the process of installing an alarm on my garage

Peer Lovell

Nov 25, 1999
I've had stuff stolen from my garage, kid's bikes stolen, cars broken into etc. etc.
However, I have never had a single thing touched when at a track.
In fact, I never lock my car or put my stuff away and never give it a seconds thought.
Just shows who the real scum bags are.

jmics19067

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 22, 2002
I havent had any big problems at the track but I did have some people "borrow " my stuff. A cluth lever and perch one time and some fuel. Apparantly these people where "decent" I guess because they obviously only took what they needed in an emergency instead of cleaning me out.

But it scared me enough to batten down the hatches wherever I am at. And then they break inot my garage and take what they wanted :|

99CR125OK

Sponsoring Member
Oct 3, 2000
Amen Elk, I would just like to remind eveyone that you need to take precautions BEFORE it happens to you. I was off in neverland thinking "it won't happen to me", don't let your sense of security cost you!

I had three large dogs, two that are very unfriendly to strangers, an alarm system, all fenced in, and it was not enough. Thieves will find a way so don't be fooled like I was. And by all means INSURE YOUR BIKE! I am thankfull I had insurance on my bike.

One question, Is there any lifeform lower than a thief?

Zerotact

~SPONSOR~
Dec 10, 2002
all the F'n insurance companies i have called said they have to write a liability policy to insure the bike against theft. I keep telling them that it isn'ta street bike, and is offraod only... So, $150 a month per bike makes insurance kinda outa my price range

jboomer

~SPONSOR~
Jan 5, 2002
Careful Peer! Those same dipsticks that are stealing everyone's bikes need a place to ride too! You can bet they'll be showing up at the tracks too. Better to lock your stuff up!

kbud

Aug 28, 2002
Whats to stop them from taking the whole toolbox? I lock mine but only cause it might make them think twice about taking it. I lock it, put it in the cab of my truck (along with my tie downs and any other thing that can be stolen), and then I lock the truck. Hide the key in my special place.

bclapham

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 5, 2001
back in england a few years back, i read in one of the road bike mags that there were about five dudes that lived close by and each of them had a bike get stolen. after a while, they went and bought a white econline type van, parked a brand new CBR600 in a prime theft spot and waited nearby in the van. sure enough, some punk came to steal the bike, he got dragged into the van and driven to the middle of knowhere and got the beating of his life.

after a few weeks, they must have got through about 10 different thieves and the bike theft in the area dropped to nil, but of course these sumbags looked to other areas, but these dudes had become legendary by this point and would travel from town to town, helping out their fellow bikers.

i understand two wrongs dont make a right, but that story made me feel a bit better- ive had 3 bikes go throughout the years-

ps thanks for the remeinder elk, i am going to do an inventory of all my tools this week now, get the digi camera out so i can prove what tools ive got.

cheers

Smit-Dog

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 28, 2001
Originally posted by Zerotact
all the F'n insurance companies i have called said they have to write a liability policy to insure the bike against theft. I keep telling them that it isn'ta street bike, and is offraod only... So, $150 a month per bike makes insurance kinda outa my price range
Check out www.progressive.com and www.bike-line.com

They both had very competitive rates. I think all you really need is fire and theft coverage. Cost me about $140 a year for 1 bike.

a454elk

Mexicutioner
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 5, 2001
State Farm has mine and it's 80 bucks a year for replacement cost.

2stroke

Nov 7, 2001
I had a bike stolen from my garage years ago where I used to live, and ever since, I have been scared to death. I have three bikes now, and believe it or not, I have to keep them on my front porch becuase the house im living in has no garage, or basement. However, I sleep in the front room upstairs, so its like 20 feet from my bikes. I have no less then a dozen or so total devices. Disc locks on the 2 that have disc brakes, an assortment of locking bars, cables, chains.

Once, we heard a noise on the porch. My wife ran to the window and saw someone running off. I ran downstairs to find my bikes uncovered. After that I went further. I have the cover rigged with a mercury switch. If someone disturbs it, It fires an alarm.
I am not naive, I am enough of a hack myself to know that ANY device can be defeated, but It would take a long time and make alot of noise to cut through ALL the crap I have on them, even if the alarm failed.

THe Pain in the a** is it seriously takes me about 10 minutes to get one of them out to work on or load up. Its like Pee Wees big adventure, where he had the secret tree, and all those chains around his bike....

Boy, I think Id wind up in jail if I ever caught anyone trying.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom