Beginner here..What kind of bike?

D3luxe

Aug 11, 2007
1) Weight - 105 Height - 6'0"
2) How physical / aggressive are you ? Somewhat physical
3) what do you plan to ride- woods, fields with friends
4) Do you have any riding experience? Only on quads
5) Do you think you will race ? No
6) Are you mechanically inclined and will you be doing your own bike work? Depends on the severity of the problem
7) Do YOU have a preferance to a brand/ motor choice (2 or 4 stroke)? People have told me to learn on a 4 stroke
8) Do you have a dealer close by your home that you might use and what brand(s) does he carry? No dealer
9) How much ($) do you plan to spend on a bike? Not much, looking more for a used bike
10) Do you live in California? No
11) Your age? 16
12) I have been talking with my uncle about it, as he knows a bit about bikes, and said I should go with a Duramax (I think thats what its called..) instead of a YZ, as YZ's need to keep the RPM's high.

_JOE_

~SPONSOR~
May 10, 2007
You really are 6 foot and 105lbs? And what the hell is a Duramax? I thought that was a GM diesel.

D3luxe

Aug 11, 2007
_JOE_ said:
You really are 6 foot and 105lbs? And what the hell is a Duramax? I thought that was a GM diesel.
Yeah, im skinny..I might be more than 105 now, I havn't weighed myself in a while, but meh. And I guess Duramax isn't the name of it, i'm thinking of something else..What are the two types? YZ, which you always have to keep the RPM's high, and what else?

MeanorMX

May 30, 2007
2 strokes (RM, YZ, CR, KX) you need to keep RPMs high to stay in the powerband whereas a 4 stroke (RM-Z, YZ-F, CRF, KX-F) you are at a constant powerband for the most part but the 2 stroke's powerband is really huge when you hit it.

D3luxe

Aug 11, 2007
Ah, that makes sense.

Well, ive been talking to a couple of people near my house that has bikes for sale. One of them is a Honda CR125, the other is a Honda CR250.

The 125 is $1200, and has new tires, and some new parts in it. Its a 97.

The 250 is $1000, its a '93. This is what it says on it's Craig's list ad:
NEW CHAIN.
SHOCKS ALL REBUILT.
EXHAUST PACKED.
PACKED ALL TECH CARE SUSPENSION.
REVALVED SHOCKS.
SHOCKS ARE SET UP FOR 180-200 LBS. NO TRADES

Seeing as its my first bike, im not sure if i'd want to go a 250 CR, however its cheaper which would give me some money to get gear and a trailer. What do you guys think?

EDIT: Just found a third. Its a '94 Yamaha YZ125, and the owner said he would go down to $900 for it. The front tire is starting to dry-rot, but tires arent that expensive are they?

So..Which should I take.

'97 CR125 for $1200
'93 CR250 for $1000
'94 YZ125 for $900

Last edited:

D3luxe

Aug 11, 2007
Well, I plan on getting the cr125 then.

I'm trying to sell one of my old Blazers though and just got a call, someone wants to trade a '90 YZ250 for it, fresh rebuild with the clutch rebuilt recently and an extra set of handlebars..I dont really want a 250, but that would be a damn good deal. He said it starts fine and doesnt leak anything..

Humm..Ill probably just go with the Cr125, as its the perfect size for me and is the newest..

Patchy_125

Aug 2, 2007
yz 250 are a lot more performant then the cr 125 but, i think you will have a lot more fun with the 125 if you are beginner. More recent bike = Engine is better, driving also and looks nicer!!!

D3luxe

Aug 11, 2007
Yeah, just need another $150 to get the cr125, hoping I can scavange some things around my room and take em to a pawn shop. Either that, or get my parents to lend me some money =P

Still need a helmet/boots/trailer too =(

Nick KOZ

Aug 12, 2007
125 2 strokes are the best bikes if your looking for a powerband and a great jumping experience. 4 strokes, I started riding at 7 and my first bike was a ttr-125 (small yamaha 4 stroke bike) I converted to 2 strokes and they are about 100000x as fun. You just can't be scared of the power on the bike and you will be fine. My suggestion for you is look for a YZ,CR,KX 125 if you know how to ride a clutch bike already. You can easily upgrade the bikes to make it into a cheap racing bike.

D3luxe

Aug 11, 2007
Well, I finally got the go-ahead to get a bike from both of my parents. The CR125 that ive been looking at, the '97, is $1200..Right now I have $1100. Im gonna go up there later and offer them $1100 cash to take it. If they dont, guess i'm gonna be searching through my room for games, etc, that I can go pawn off..I dont get payed for another 2 weeks, and by then it has a good chance its gone.

Plus, that extra $100 saved will be enough to get me a helmet and part way for a trailer.

Thanks for all your help guys, you've taught me a lot. I'll be sticking around these forums for a while now that im finally getting a bike =)

D3luxe

Aug 11, 2007
Woodson1 said:
If he's asking $1200, offer him $900. You'll get it for a grand.

Already tried :-\

I offered him 1100 cash and he said its 1200 firm..if he doesnt get that, he'll just keep the bike.

The sign for it has it listed at $1600, but he said he'll go down to $1200. Bah..$100 away which should be easy, but I need $40 for gas for my truck and about $10 for gas for the bike..Then $80 for a helmet, $35 for gloves, and $100ish for boots.

Bah :yell:

D3luxe

Aug 11, 2007
So, ive been looking at a couple of bikes. I want your guys opinions first.

As you know from my previous posts, ive been looking at the '97 Honda CR125 for $1200. Kinda expensive and the guy wont lower any more, its 1200 firm. Decent shape..plastics are a bit scratched up, the choke lines are exposed/wrapped in electrical tape, and the right brake trigger is bent. And its only about 20 minutes from my house. It has a new top end, new tires, new grips, and a couple other small things.

Now, I found a '97 RM125 for $1000. This guy buys broken bikes, fixes em up, and resells them. He replaced the pistons, the rings, and the chain. As well as replacing the plastics and putting on a FMF fatty pipe and an FMF spark arrested silencer. This one's about an hour and a half away, so a bit farther, bit I think its a better deal.

I think im going to go with the RM125 and just take a drive out, but I wanted your guys opinions. The owner of the RM125 said he'd drive it out to me for and extra $80, but thats sight-unseen. I was thinking that I could just get my friend to just take a drive out there with me, and pay him instead, this way being able to see the bike first.

crkid33

Jun 20, 2007
i have a 97 rm 125 and i love it. i bought mine for 900, and there is nothing stock on it so i think you should try to talk him down a little bit more but thats just me. hope you get the bike you want!

Jun 14, 2007
Also buying a old bike means top end rebuild time.

I have a yz 125, 426f, and 450f.

The 125 is more than enough for a 105lb person.

Just warning you, take it easy when you first get it because a 2 stroke has a thing called powerband and when you hit it and arent ready and all laid back you will find yourself on your ass.

I would suggest a 4-stroke to a begginer but a 4 stroke isnt in your choices.

So 125.

crkid33

Jun 20, 2007
it has new piston and rings....and yea 125s are hard to learn on but youll get use to it. 4 strokes have powerbands to but theres are just spread out and 2 strokes come all at once. but still if he wont go any lower than 1 grand its still not a bad deal just try to talk him lower than 1k

D3luxe

Aug 11, 2007
Thanks for your responses guys.

crkid - It's probably $1000 because it just got new pistons and rings..I might be able to get him lower, but im still comfortable paying $1k for it.

p8nt - Yeah, I know a bit about the powerbands and stuff. My uncle rides, so he told me a lot about it. He has a YZ250, so being as it is my first time riding, he didnt want me to try his out..I probably wouldnt be on these forums right now if I did, as i'd be dead or in the hospital =P

I found out that my friend isn't getting home until friday though, so i'm going to try and find someone else to drive out there with me and pick it up then. I wish I had a pickup >.<

Meh, worst comes to worst, i'll have it this weekend..Hopefully he doesnt sell it by then.

Top Bottom